Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #1
turtlefan
turtlefan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
OverDrive missing from setup

Hi, I just purchased a Kobo in the US, but OverDrive is not on it. I purposefully purchased it in the US, because I want to use it with my library in Illinois. I am currently in Switzerland and so set it up here, was that a mistake? (I know Kobos you buy in certain countries don't have OverDrive, this is why I had it shipped from the US.)

Is it possible for me to reinstall the software and then perhaps get OverDrive? Would logging in through VPN help? How would I do this (the reinstallation and starting from scratch that is)? Is the installation through wifi and then would VPN even work?

turtlefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Did you set your home country as the US? If no, try changing that. If yes or changing it doesn't work, then I'd suggest the VPN.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I should add that Kobo do not offer country specific firmware; in fact, apart from minor differences for the underlying Linux environment (to allow for different hardware in different families of devices), all devices run the same firmware.

If you look at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases you can see the various families

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:07 AM   #4
turtlefan
turtlefan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Thanks for the input!

MGlitch, I followed your advice on the site, but that did not in and of itself help, unfortunately.

I did get it to work though! I logged out of my account on the device, used VPN on my computer, and set up the device through the computer connection (rather than wifi) and it worked! This makes me think that where you buy the device may not actually matter (PeterT's point perhaps), which is helpful for future reference.
turtlefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overdrive