Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Synchronize book reading progress between Blackberry & Nook?

I heave heard that one of the features of the Nook is to be able to read a book using the Nook, start the eReader software up on my Blackberry and pick up where I left off on the Nook, and then when I get back home go back to the Nook and pick up where I left off on the Blackberry. Is this really the case? Can a lucky Nook owner who has a Blackberry confirm?

I am a bit leery because of the limits of lending books between devices. Does it differentiate between two devices that belong to me and one device that belongs to me and one that belongs to someone else? Is it because I use the same account for both of my devices that this would work? Does it matter if I bought the book from the B&N store or if it is a DRM free book?

If this works then I am very likely to make the move from my Sony 505 (that I love) to the Nook. This feature would be so handy for me since I always have my Blackberry with me so could read a bit on the run and then pick it back up on the Nook for the best reading experience when I get home. This would be so great!

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
rwizard
Connoisseur
rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone, waiting for reviews on the Notionink Adam
Multiple devices on the same account do not count as "lending". Only if you specify you want to lend the book is it "lending".
rwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Greg G
Groupie

Ok, that makes sense. Now if someone would confirm the syncing of books between devices that would be great! On a side note, I guess this could make it awkward if two people share an account and want to read the same book. I guess it is pretty realistic though since you can't both read a paper book at the same time.

-Greg
Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
My understanding is that the Nook promises to sync between two devices (picking up where you left off) but...doesn't seem to have activated it yet.

Since the Kindle can do it with no problem, I'm sure B&N will make good on this and fix it in a firmware update-but don't expect it out of the box.

(personally I try not to buy stuff for features that are "promised at a later date"-too much chance for disappointment later)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
Ok, that makes sense. Now if someone would confirm the syncing of books between devices that would be great! On a side note, I guess this could make it awkward if two people share an account and want to read the same book. I guess it is pretty realistic though since you can't both read a paper book at the same time.

-Greg
If they do it similar to the Kindle, you will be able to turn syncing on and off a will. We change it via our accounts online. The default is "on".
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Greg G
Groupie

I did not realize you could sync with the Kindle. Is this with the IPhone Client? Is there a Blackberry solution?

-Greg
Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did not realize you could sync with the Kindle. Is this with the IPhone Client? Is there a Blackberry solution?

-Greg
Coming soon http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...227277682_.gif

Last edited by kjk; 12-10-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

-Greg
The Kindle syncs with Kindle for iPhone/iPod Touch, Kindle for PC, Kindle for Blackberry (as of today) and soon to be Kindle for Mac and other cell phones.

Edit: The Blackberry app is still in the coming soon category.

Last edited by daffy4u; 12-10-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The Kindle syncs with Kindle for iPhone/iPod Touch, Kindle for PC, Kindle for Blackberry (as of yesterday) and soon to be Kindle for Mac and other cell phones.
and the Kindle sync to iPhone is probably one of the most underrated features of the Kindle-everyone I know who uses it raves about it!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
This appears to be Amazon App for BlackBerry, i.e. a shopping app not the "coming soon" Kindle app.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This appears to be Amazon App for BlackBerry, i.e. a shopping app not the "coming soon" Kindle app.
You're right, time to edit.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Hey, Kindle for Blackberry will be cool for me! Wonder if it'll sync between BB and Kindle for PC?
I really need to try out the BN app for BB...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote