Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 06:41 AM   #31
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasCorso View Post
Usually you can recognize a dictionary because of a smaller number of FF in the header. In my example it's 28 (a book usually has 40). But search with a hex editor for 20 FFs lets say. After the last FF in that group, ignore the next 12 bytes (I don't know what they are), and the next 12 bytes you need to modify, each group of 4 represents a language code. In the picture attached, it is 04 09, then 09, then again 09. 09 is English, 04 09 is American English. I found in my tests with dictionaries that patching these to English I don't have problems and no more error messages: "can't open the default dictionary".

It works! I've never used a hex editor before, but that was very easy. Now I have a dictionary I can use Thank you!

EDIT: I used a German to English dictionary only, not a combined, 'both-ways' dictionary.
Also, see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75795

Last edited by Ea; 03-13-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #32
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
I'm glad every time something that didn't before now works.
Unfortunately I'm not happy at all with how Amazon made all this dictionary stuff. We don't know yet how to make a dictionary that searches for inflections of a word (see my post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59724 if you are curious).
So either we find the missing documentation link (which I'm sure is something very simple... but what is it?), either Amazon implements some features from Mobipocket besides the most basic ones.
To sum it up, I want:
1. Folders
2. Advanced Mobi dictionary support
3. No geographical book restrictions
4. People should read more
5. A lot of other things

These would keep me happy for a few days
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 07:04 AM   #33
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International

Great, it worked for me too!
I now have my monolingual Spanish dictionary working for my spanish books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post

It works! I've never used a hex editor before, but that was very easy. Now I have a dictioanry I can use Thank you!
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:38 AM   #34
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I haven't tried it, sorry. I don't have a Kindle but a Cybook, I know about this because I've read it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #35
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Usually you can recognize a dictionary because of a smaller number of FF in the header. In my example it's 28 (a book usually has 40). But search with a hex editor for 20 FFs lets say. After the last FF in that group, ignore the next 12 bytes (I don't know what they are), and the next 12 bytes you need to modify, each group of 4 represents a language code. In the picture attached, it is 04 09, then 09, then again 09. 09 is English, 04 09 is American English.
There is some information in Wiki: MOBI on the MOBI header, but it does not include the dictionary language fields. Please add any new information on ther header to the wiki.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #36
LucasCorso
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is some information in Wiki: MOBI on the MOBI header, but it does not include the dictionary language fields. Please add any new information on ther header to the wiki.
I remember reading about that information but forgot where, thanks. I will update it then during the weekend, just to be sure what I have found is correct (right offsets and stuff), and which language code is corresponding to what from the book metadata...
It looks to me that all those originally 40 FFs were in fact a kind of a filler, and newer books are writing, and using some information from there.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #37
alterego
alterego began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Good morning,

Ty so much. It worked and it was very easy. I now have english, french and spanish dictionaries and all work with the quick look-up in Kindle.

Ahhhh ty again =D!!!!!!!!!
Have an awesome weekend.
Abi
alterego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #38
alterego
alterego began at the beginning.

Quote:
We don't know yet how to make a dictionary that searches for inflections of a word (see my post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59724 if you are curious).
Hi =),

I did some research in the dictionary format while trying the one in question to work (again ty for helping me, it works perfectly). While doing the tests I downloded this sample advanced dictionary with inflections:
http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...#advDictionary

And Kindle did recognized them.
I have the Int. version of Kindle. Maybe they changed that already. =D
alterego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #39
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I remember reading about that information but forgot where, thanks. I will update it then during the weekend, just to be sure what I have found is correct (right offsets and stuff), and which language code is corresponding to what from the book metadata...
It looks to me that all those originally 40 FFs were in fact a kind of a filler, and newer books are writing, and using some information from there.
If it's of any help; here's what my Oxford-Duden Pocket German-English Dictionary looked like. I replaced both '04 07' with '04 09'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skærmbillede 2009-10-30 kl. 10.19.07.png
Views:	1092
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	38311  
Old 11-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #40
norim
norim began at the beginning.

hi.

I de-DRMed my Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary and put it into my Kindle.
It seems to work well, but I can't use it as default look-up dictionary. I can't find this dictionary when I try to set up primary dictionary in setting section.

But after I restarted Kindle, I found OALD as a candidate of primary dictionary.
Maybe it needs restart.

does this help anyone ?

Last edited by norim; 11-09-2009 at 11:46 PM.
norim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #41
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by norim View Post
hi.

I de-DRMed my Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary and put it into my Kindle.
It seems to work well, but I can't use it as default look-up dictionary. I can't find this dictionary when I try to set up primary dictionary in setting section.

But after I restarted Kindle, I found OALD as a candidate of primary dictionary.
Maybe it needs restart.

does this help anyone ?
Advanced Learner's worked fine for me without restart - but after trying it out I regretted buying it. It doesn't have quite as many words as the dictionary that comes with the Kindle. Most of the words I wanted to look up weren't recognised, so I switched back. This is an instance where I wish I could re-sell an e-book
Old 11-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #42
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
This looks nice, need some russian/ukrainian added
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #43
acmatos
acmatos is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader & Kindle 2 Int
French dictionary?

With the help of this very helpful thread (and especially one of the contributors) I managed to install a Spanish dictionary in my Kindle 2 that allows direct search within the texts.

Now I would like to do the same with a French dicitionary.

I found a prc version of the "Dictionnaire de l'Académie française de 1932-35 (8e édition)" here:
http://ebooksgratuits.com/details.php?book=1609

I transferred it to my K2 and I can open it, search the words within it, and it is recognized by the K2 as a dictionary, because you can choose it as the primary dictionary.

Unfortunately, the dictionary does not work within other French texts.

Is there any change that has to be made to the prc file?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

acmatos
acmatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #44
Gho57
Gho57 began at the beginning.

Can someone help me?

I have this strings:

and now?
Gho57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #45
LucasCorso
Enthusiast

Hello, acmatos. I think I can help (I'm using the same French dictionary)
I'm attaching a small application I made that can patch the language of a mobi book. Please use it only on a backup copy of the file you want to modify, it's an application made in an hour or so!
The idea is that for the books I have I could change the language code so I could play with it (in the beginning I thought the languages of the book being read and the default dictionary must match, but it's not the case with Kindle). After a while I have realised that the only good thing this dirty app can be used for is to patch a dictionary file to English... But if it will help you, that's all that matters.
It's easy to use:
1. Make a copy of your file (the MOBI dictionary).
2. Open that copy.
3. Select English (US).
3. Click Patch and wait (it should take less than a minute).
Done!
I hope it is working...
Attached Files
File Type: zip mobiPatch.zip (853.1 KB, 1080 views)

Last edited by LucasCorso; 03-13-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Tags
dictionary, kindle