Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #31
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Well well well, and the vaunted "Paperwhite's" have the same LED bleed-up as the nook. Seems like they may have rushed them?
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #32
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
The lights shadow at the bottom are one thing, but what about the remainder of the screen?

I just returned the nook glow, which truly had blotchy and uneven patches on the screen. I considered it minor, but they were there.

Very curious how this compares..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #33
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
All of the reviews I read online said how even the lighting was so I'm a little surprised by the user reviews. Hmm... that's a little concerning.
That's why I wanted Mobileread reviews ... ;-) ... we do not get "paid" for reports...

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #34
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
Here you go. See what I mean about the beams? Otherwise, the look and feel is awesome. The menu is great and feel of the screen is great too.
Well, is noticeable, but not huge! ... of course, is a picture. I would like to check myself.

It looks better than Nook Glow though, more even. And way more better than a regular cover with integrated light.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #35
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Just to clear up what you mean by sync, are you talking about Whispersyncing from the Amazon cloud, and if so are you using WiFi or 3G?

EDIT: My Touch sometimes gets out of sync with my iPad and PC apps, but this is not a fault of the Touch. It is a fault with the apps and if I delete the out of sync book from the iPad or PC app and re-download it it will get back into sync. Amazon needs to do a lot of work on their apps!
Yes, I'm talking about using Whispersync to sync last page read and notes from the Kindle to other apps. I have an Android tablet, an Android smartphone, and an iPad, and they all stay in sync with each other. They do not, however, stay in sync with the Kindle.

I'll try deleting the apps from the other devices and re-downloading, and see if that helps.

Update: Okay, deleted the book from my Android tablet, then re-downloaded it. It opened up immediately to the same page as the iPad and Android smartphone, and the page the Android tablet was on when I deleted the book. It's quite a few pages back from where it is on the Kindle. So, in this case, I think it's the Kindle that's out of sync.

Last edited by wynand32; 10-02-2012 at 01:38 AM.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #36
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
(removed)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #37
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
Yes, I'm talking about using Whispersync to sync last page read and notes from the Kindle to other apps. I have an Android tablet, an Android smartphone, and an iPad, and they all stay in sync with each other. They do not, however, stay in sync with the Kindle.

I'll try deleting the apps from the other devices and re-downloading, and see if that helps.
You only need to re-DL the books, not the apps.

Sounds like you have a different issue than I do with my apps and the Touch. I primarily read on the Touch and do a lot of highlighting and bookmarking. For some reason I have the occasional book which won't Whispersync all the bookmarks, highlights, or farthest page read to the apps.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #38
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You only need to re-DL the books, not the apps.

Sounds like you have a different issue than I do with my apps and the Touch. I primarily read on the Touch and do a lot of highlighting and bookmarking. For some reason I have the occasional book which won't Whispersync all the bookmarks, highlights, or farthest page read to the apps.
Yes, sorry, meant delete the books, not the apps. But, as I noted above, it doesn't make a difference. The Kindle is simply out of sync with the other devices, and nothing I do can get it back in sync. I think this is simply a bug and will need to get fixed by Amazon.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 AM   #39
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
You guys crack me up! Do you want to see uneven light on an ereader? Check this out:

Spoiler:

BAM! Uneven light.

Spoiler:
PS: At 3:40 a.m. I have no idea how to make that picture smaller.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-05-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Enclosed oversized graphic in spoiler tags.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #40
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Is there localization support in the firmware? Can you choose the interface language?
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #41
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Given the unevenness of the light on my K3 cover I think that I'll be able to live with this small amount of variation at the bottom.
Exactly.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #42
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
What do you think about the hd screen with the lights off?

Is obviously better than that of the kindle4 and kindle touch?

thanks. ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #43
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The syncing issue could be a result of the servers being extra busy, with all the new paperwhites getting into the hands of owners. I'm still waiting for a delivery of news from Calibre to my keyboard this morning. That is unusual.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #44
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Are the lights at the bottom less noticeable when you turn down the brightness, which you would do in a dim room anyway. In fairly bright light are the lights noticeable?

I used a nook for a short period of time before the screen busted and I hardly ever used it with the brightness turned all the way up.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #45
Nicky_oz
Enthusiast
Nicky_oz doesn't litterNicky_oz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, Nook, Kindle Keyboard, iPad.
thanks for the review and the photos.
I was confused about the syncing too-- seems a bit overkill, do you need to have your book synced with all devices? could you not take your kindle everywhere- it's small and light..just a thought.

I don't see the problem with the lights at the bottom being such a big deal- this is MUCH better than having a normal e-reader with a book light (and i've tried them all).
I am still excited to get mine, I don't mind if there's a bit of unevenness down the page where the lights are.
As long as the screen is clear, and the page turn is quick and letters are sharp that's what matters to me. I can't wait to get mine!
Nicky_oz is offline   Reply With Quote