Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #721
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
nypaulie: Read the text on the left image. Your device still thinks it is SO-enabled. Make sure you have let it phone home. If that doesn't help, contact Amazon CS.
I just did a "Reset Device", re-registered, connected to Amazon and Bingo... no SO anymore. Thank you ixtab for your gracious response and help.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #722
bikefools
bikefools began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite UK
It did not work for me. I want the screensaver to display the cover of the book i am reading. I renamed one of the REAME.txt files and removed the txt extension and placed it in the proper directory, but all i get is the 'the screensaver has has been....' screen.

Anyone having the same problem and any suggestions how to get it to work?

Thanks,
Robert
bikefools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #723
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefools View Post
It did not work for me.
I want the screensaver to display the cover of the book i am reading.
renamed one of the REAME.txt files and removed the txt extension and placed it in the proper directory, but all i get is the 'the screensaver has has been....' screen.

Thanks,
Robert
Please give us some more details of "the same problem" you are trying to ask about.

**What** did not work for you?

In the top post, under the "Install : Screensavers" section, open the spoiler and confirm that you have followed each of the steps.
If one of those steps failed, tell us which one and **how** it failed.

You renamed one of the README.txt files **to what** name?

Which directory did you place it into (by name)?

What model of Kindle are you trying this on?
What version of the Kindle firmware is it running?

In the top post of this thread, under the "Notes and Troubleshooting", open the spoiler and tell us which of those things you have checked on, and what you found.

Last edited by knc1; 09-01-2013 at 09:18 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #724
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefools View Post
It did not work for me. I want the screensaver to display the cover of the book i am reading. I renamed one of the REAME.txt files and removed the txt extension and placed it in the proper directory, but all i get is the 'the screensaver has has been....' screen.

Thanks,
Robert
If you renamed a readme text file (presumably to 'cover') and removed it's extension so that you would get the cover view, that is not going to work. It needs to be an empty file. I copied the 'autoreboot' file which came with the hack (which is an empty file) and renamed it to 'cover' and placed it in the appropriate place and that works fine.

If this isn't your issue, then everything knc1 says holds true...more info.

Last edited by GoSharks; 09-01-2013 at 02:22 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #725
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Or, alternatively, use the KUAL extension to setup the cover mode .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #726
Kov
Kov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Question

Hi there. I had installed the update_kindle_5.3.4.bin file to my sons PW, and then successfully added custom screensavers.

They have stopped showing after having worked for the past six months. It has gone back to the old standard screensavers, even tho the custom ones are still in the screensavers folder.

When I go to Device Info, I see that Firmware is Kindle 5.3.6... Is this the issue? Can I get the ss functionality back?

Thx,
Kov
Kov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #727
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kov View Post
Hi there. I had installed the update_kindle_5.3.4.bin file to my sons PW, and then successfully added custom screensavers.

They have stopped showing after having worked for the past six months. It has gone back to the old standard screensavers, even tho the custom ones are still in the screensavers folder.

When I go to Device Info, I see that Firmware is Kindle 5.3.6... Is this the issue? Can I get the ss functionality back?

Thx,
Kov
Your device has automatically updated its firmware, and it broke the SS hack while doing so. To get back the screensavers, the easiest method is to simply start over with the installation from the beginning. (There is no need to uninstall anything, just do everything as if you had never installed the SS hack before).

To prevent such unpleasant surprises in the future, you may want to install the "Back Door Lock" (look for it in this forum).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #728
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
tl;dr; i probably missed an instruction.

the latest Ktouch update undid screensavers hack (duh) and I'm not sure the best approach to getting them back. start over and redo the entire jb process?

I did try just getting the latest bits, and get error 07 when i push the screen saver update.

Sorry, know this is likely covered so even a nudge to the right place would be fine, but couldn't find it on my own.
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #729
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jwilker: You'll need to re-jailbreak, and re-install the Hack.

Cf. this post by ixtab on how to jb 5.3.7.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #730
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
You rock, thank you!
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #731
bikefools
bikefools began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
If you renamed a readme text file (presumably to 'cover') and removed it's extension so that you would get the cover view, that is not going to work. It needs to be an empty file. I copied the 'autoreboot' file which came with the hack (which is an empty file) and renamed it to 'cover' and placed it in the appropriate place and that works fine.

If this isn't your issue, then everything knc1 says holds true...more info.
I followed the instructions, so named the file correctly and put it in the right directory. The strange thing is that I don't have the autoreboot file in any of the folders that come with the installation. I only have an 'auto' file. I tried it on 2 different kindle paperwhites and it is the same for both. Next to renaming a readme file I also tried it with a new and empty txt file made with my Mac texteditor program. Off course I named it 'cover' removed the txt extension and put it in main linkss directory. I am on firmware 5.3.5
Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Robert
bikefools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #732
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@bikefools
Strange...there is definitely an 'autoreboot' file contained in the download (did you get the download from this site?), but no matter as any empty file renamed/named 'cover' without an extention will work. The fact that this does not work on both of your PW's definitely suggests you have made a mistake along the way. First, are your PW's special offers? If so, this hack will not work until you get the special offers removed by Amazon. Second, what do the current screensaver pictures look like? Third, have you read the FAQ troubleshooting post link found in the first post of this thread? And finally, have you done a restart via menu>settings>restart and been sure you did NOT have the USB cable connected?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #733
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@GoSharks: I switched off autoreboot in the latest versions, so it is indeed not there anymore on 'fresh' setups .

@bikefools: I would, again, recommend that you handle this through the KUAL extension, to make sure everything is done the proper way. Plus, since according to your profile you have an UK PaperWhite, you'll find something of help in there if yours came from Waterstones .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-06-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #734
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

@NiLuJe-
-- Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......... (I give up )
Old 09-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #735
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@GoSharks: *evil laugh*

That said, I (for once) didn't forget to mention this tidbit of info .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
* ScreenSavers 0.12.N:
* Updated binaries.
* Disable the autoreboot feature by default for fresh installs. Much easier to use KUAL. I'd recommend disabling it manually once you've updated.
And it's even in the first post's ChangeLog ;p.

To get back to bikefools' issue, I suspect a Waterstones trickery...

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch