Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Best Format for PRS-300

Hi
have quite a few ebooks in PDF format, what do you think is the best conversion in Calibre?
cheers
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Actually I found the pdf books that I have are already pretty good on the 300, and I just leave them.... but other formats, lit...etc.... I convert to epub with variable success. I do find ticking the box for getting rid of paragraph spaces helps (at least on what I do).
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
I have been loading my books as PDF bit just wondered if this was the best, thanks.
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
There may well be better, I'm just satisfied with the way they look......

Perhaps others can give a preferred format.........
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
You can try converting them to epub or lrf and see how they look. The thing is, usually pdfs don't convert all that well, and sometimes they don't even reflow all that well. It largely depends on they way each of them is designed.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Hey there,
Just got a 300 and I am putting it through it's paces. I was a bit concerned with the pdf format at first, but I found it to read very nicely in it's native format. The small font shows it as a regular pdf file, but when I change it to the medium font it reads perfectly like a book.

I have only tried 2 pdf files so far, but I will not be converting them into anything else as of now.

I would say, try it as a pdf with medium font and see how it is first.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
On a few books I've had better results going the long way around.
First using Mobypocket creator to go from pdf to prc, then using Calibre to convert prc to epub. I sometimes get a darker text on some conversions.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
weirichk
weirichk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 300
I prefer epub because it is cross platform and likely to be supported for a while. Before the Sony store converted to epub I bought and downloaded a few lrf/lrx books and didn't really see any difference in readability, format etc.

What I have found is that some publishers do much better jobs than others in setting up their books for ereaders. The better ones don't enforce the paper-version page margins and typefaces. Others do which results in lots of dead space. Some publishers use typefaces/fonts that don't scale to different sizes well.

I agree with the other posters that I would not format my books in pdf and that pdfs don't convert well to other formats.

Enjoy,
Kurt
weirichk is offline   Reply With Quote