Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
"subtree mode" and tags in madshelf - really used?

I'm rewriting madshelf ATM and want to know whether "subtree mode" and tags really used by anyone but quickhand

If those features are not really useful, the next snapshot will be released earlier, otherwise I'll have to reimplement them, and it will take some time.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Erm, what's "subtree mode"? I've found File Mode settings (Folder Mode / Location Mode / All Locations Mode), of which I'm using Folder Mode. If it's anything else, then I don't know.

As for tags, I haven't started using them yet, so I guess I wouldn't miss them much.
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Subtree is either "location" or "all locations" mode.

Okay, noted
Old 05-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
I'm rewriting madshelf ATM and want to know whether "subtree mode" and tags really used by anyone but quickhand

If those features are not really useful, the next snapshot will be released earlier, otherwise I'll have to reimplement them, and it will take some time.
The primary things that I use in Madshelf are the file operations using the Folder View, so I guess that I will not miss quickhand's modes.

I do hope that " 'subtree mode' and tags" do not affect things in Madshelf that I am too ignorant to understand.

I am looking forward to the time when Madshelf displays battery state and time like FBreader does.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I am looking forward to the time when Madshelf displays battery state and time like FBreader does.
Sure. Real Soon(TM)
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure. Real Soon(TM)

I know that it is ticket #238 with a milestone of 0.2 so I am keeping my eyes open.
But, I thought that quickhand owned that one?

Anyway, I really appreciate all the work that you guys are doing on OI.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
But, I thought that quickhand owned that one?
He just disappeared some time ago, so I had to pick up madshelf and scrape out dust and spider web from it

And thank you for using OI
Old 06-01-2009, 04:04 AM   #8
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
I only use the normal mode, which I suppose is the folder mode.
I do not use tags.
I guess my answer increases the chance of the newest greatest OpenInkpot coming out soon!

By the way: do you know why OpenInkpot is more stable than the other firmwares? When I use the other firmwares I often get thrown out of books after reading a few pages.
Some say it is because of crappy batteries (I ordered an original Nokia battery to find out).
Is it because computer programmers from Russia are the best on Earth?
Those from Ukraine are very good too: the shortcuts and the precise dictionary searches with the virtual keyboard (short 4-key press) in the April LBook firmware are great.

Last edited by IgnareAcademy; 06-01-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:09 AM   #9
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnareAcademy View Post
When I use the other firmwares I often get thrown out of books after reading a few pages.
Memory leaks, bugs - you name it. Though it needs investigation, and nobody volunteered to dig the, uhm, other firmwares.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Those from Ukraine are very good too: the shortcuts and the precise dictionary searches with the virtual keyboard (short 4-key press) in the April LBook firmware are great.
It should be availabe in OI too -- long-press the button to pop up the dialog for choosing between FBReader and CoolReader (the same bookreading app as in lBook) to open the book.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #11
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
Quote:
Memory leaks, bugs - you name it. Though it needs investigation, and nobody volunteered to dig the, uhm, other firmwares.
Other possible explanations: OpenInkpot uses less electricity, and has a more robust management of the SD-card. Because I just did a successful experiment (with the April lBook firmware): I removed the SD-card from my BeBook, and "read" books from the built-in storage; I turned hundreds of pages in a couple of books and I encountered zero problem! So maybe the BeBook uses less electricity without a SD-card.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:49 AM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Other possible explanations: OpenInkpot uses less electricity, and has a more robust management of the SD-card. Because I just did a successful experiment (with the April lBook firmware): I removed the SD-card from my BeBook, and "read" books from the built-in storage; I turned hundreds of pages in a couple of books and I encountered zero problem! So maybe the BeBook uses less electricity without a SD-card.
Any firmware will use less energy without the SD card. Reading directly from the SD card requires powering up the SD interface and SD card for every page turn, and that does cost energy.
I have also seen the the problems that you mentioned with the Hanlin based firmwares even when reading from internal storage. In those cases, the problem always occurs on the same page every time, so I always assumed that the parser had come to some formatting command that it could not parse correctly, and got stuck in an endless loop or something. The worst problem is when a page turn completely resets the device so that a reboot occurs. I had always thought that it was a buggy or poorly implemented exception handler in the OS, but maybe your power management idea also has something to do with it.
In any case, OpenInkpot never has a problem with the same book and same page and same state of charge on the battery, so OpenInkpot is the only firmware that I use on my BeBook.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #13
sid201
sid201 began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin v3
I keep all my books in folders by series and/ or Author if that's what you mean
Old 06-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #14
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
I [...] want to know whether "subtree mode" and tags really used by anyone but quickhand
I only use 'normal' folder mode.

I used the tags for a short while, but found them more of a hassle than anything else, so I certainly don't need them.

Any idea on when the next release will be available?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.
I've been on vacation in Nova Scotia for a month, but will be heading back home in a few days. As for "subtree" mode, I would very much like to keep it as it allows one to organize by tags instead of folders (which was a request I received from some people). But most importantly, the mode will be essential in my upcoming implementation of "Favorites" and "Recent Files", which I will get around to when I get back home.