Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
How does one tell if an ebook is DRM'd?

I broke my Cybook a couple of days ago and am waiting for my next one to arrive. While I am waiting I plan on removing DRM from my ebooks so that I can read them on the new Cybook without having to download them again.

I have a lot of ebooks, and unfortunately did not keep a record of whether they have DRM or not. Some I know do, some I know do not, and some I'm not sure.

Is there a simple way of checking?

I know I can try to reformat the books through Calibre, and Calibre will tell me if it cannot proceed if the book has DRM. But it's cumbersome, and if the book can be reformatted I have a copy in a format I don't want.

I've been advised to try to read the book in FBReader, but haven't been to find it.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Try my Python script, kindledrm.py, see Kindle Books From Amazon Without DRM. This works for AZW and MOBI DRM.

You can instead try to view the MOBIs in Calibre or FBReader. Note that FBReader will fail on MOBIs with MOBI-specific high compression.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Wallcraft, that's most helpful and very prompt.

I've downloaded your python script and FBReader setup. But just after I posted I thought I'd try putting a definitely not DRM'd ebook through the script which removes DRM but must not be named, and found it complained of a bad header. So that's an even simpler test.

Regards, Alex
Old 04-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Wouldn't simply trying to open it in a reader which doesn't support Mobi DRM, such as uBook or FBReader, be even easier?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wouldn't simply trying to open it in a reader which doesn't support Mobi DRM, such as uBook or FBReader, be even easier?
Its easier if you want to check a single ebook. The kindledrm script is designed to put in a loop over many ebooks. If I was more familiar with Python, it would have taken a directory as an argument rather than a MOBI/AZW and do the looping internally.
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I broke my Cybook a couple of days ago and am waiting for my next one to arrive. While I am waiting I plan on removing DRM from my ebooks so that I can read them on the new Cybook without having to download them again.

I have a lot of ebooks, and unfortunately did not keep a record of whether they have DRM or not. Some I know do, some I know do not, and some I'm not sure.

Is there a simple way of checking?

I know I can try to reformat the books through Calibre, and Calibre will tell me if it cannot proceed if the book has DRM. But it's cumbersome, and if the book can be reformatted I have a copy in a format I don't want.

I've been advised to try to read the book in FBReader, but haven't been to find it.

Regards, Alex
I usually stick the tip of my tongue to one end of the ebook. If I get a (tiny) shock, I know it's been DRM-locked.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Yes it would, Harry.

But I've downloaded the FBReader Windows XP installation file several times and found that all I get when I double click on it is that it disappears, and I can't get any response from the FBReader forums.

And I can't even find ubook.

Regards, Alex
Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
And I can't even find ubook.
µBook can be found here...

http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_main.html
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
jruschme
jruschme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but my wife has managed to buy a couple of books where are not supposed to have DRM, but get flagged by Calibre as having DRM.

I assume the problem is that the DRM bytes are set even though the book is not encrypted, so is there a better test?
jruschme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruschme View Post
Maybe it's just me, but my wife has managed to buy a couple of books where are not supposed to have DRM, but get flagged by Calibre as having DRM.
Were these MOBI ebooks? MOBI has a DRM mode where there is no PID but the ebook is encrypted and can only be read by MobiPocket's own Reader. See Content Encryption.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:09 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
µBook can be found here...

http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_main.html
Thanks, Brian. I've downloaded it and licensed it, but find it very difficult to use. It's not the world's most user friendly software, in my opinion anyway.

My new Cybook should be here by the end of the week, so I guess I'll know what ebooks on my SD drive are DRM'd by the fact that they won't open.

Regards, Alex