Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
HLFH
HLFH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
[SOLVED] Downgrade PW2 from 5.4.5.1 to whatever for jailbreak

Hi,

My PW2 has actually 5.4.5.1 version and apparently, it's not a nice version to jailbreak my PW2. So, I need to downgrade. What is the entire procedure?

Explanation:
Because after, I want to install KOReader (https://github.com/koreader/koreader) because it supports OPDS library because I have an OPDS server (calibre-server) running with ownCloud, so I would love to jailbreak my Kindle to distribute all the books I bought (and some PDFs documents) from different digital places.

Thanks,
HLFH

Last edited by HLFH; 11-18-2014 at 12:36 PM.
HLFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just sideload the official Amazon update.bin -- as usual, except that nowadays the framework detects a downgrade attempt, so you must trick it into using the boot-time updater (which does not have this problem) rather than the framework updater.

In order to use the boot-time updater, you must do the following:
  1. Sideload the update, via USB. DO NOT EJECT OR UNPLUG THE KINDLE!!! This would allow the framework to see the update, which is BAD.
  2. Flush the disk cache, ensuring the file has been fully written to disk. (Normally ejecting would do this, but we do not want to eject.) On linux, you simply type "sync" on the command line. There are Windows utilities you can install which do the same thing.
    Alternatively, wait a few minutes after the file finishes copying. The OS will probably have written the file to disk at that point.
  3. Hold down the power button on the Kindle, again without ejecting it. Your Kindle will restart. Pull out the USB cord at this time. Since it was in USB mode the entire time since the update was copied over, the framework never saw and deleted the update.
    Your Kindle will now perform the update to the downgraded firmware.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-18-2014 at 11:18 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
HLFH
HLFH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Thanks eschwartz ii Solved thanks to your nice explanation. With this firmware (http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...le_5.4.3.2.bin), everything is ok, and I could start to jailbreak.
HLFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLFH View Post
Thanks eschwartz ii Solved thanks to your nice explanation. With this firmware (http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...le_5.4.3.2.bin), everything is ok, and I could start to jailbreak.
Awesome! Happy to help.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I take it this method doesn't work if you have 5.6.1 installed, correct?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I take it this method doesn't work if you have 5.6.1 installed, correct?
No. I did a test run just for fun and knowledge. Someone else will explain better "why".
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Because Amazon hates us and 5.6.x is extra extra protected: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...67#post2978667

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-18-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Because Amazon hates us
That's what I thought!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
That's what I thought!
Note that by "us" I mean specifically MobileRead.
Because you know, it is horrible when we make Kindles more attractive to people.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Note that by "us" I mean specifically MobileRead.
Because you know, it is horrible when we make Kindles more attractive to people.
Shockingly bad for Kindle business what with the happy readers and all.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
vodoley
vodoley began at the beginning.

Device: Victor. Kindle Paperwhite
Unhappy

Quote:
[*]Flush the disk cache, ensuring the file has been fully written to disk. (Normally ejecting would do this, but we do not want to eject.) On linux, you simply type "sync" on the command line. There are Windows utilities you can install which do the same thing.
Haven't find any for Windows 7 - only XP. Any detailed recommendations?
A propos: I waited about a half an hour, but the rezult was negative. Unfotrunately, I have 5.6.1. Does this mean no way back, no jailbreak?
vodoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@vodoley-
Currently no JB on 5.6.1 and no way to downgrade firmware...(yet!)
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Microsoft freebie "sync" tool should do what you want:

http://sourcedaddy.com/windows-7/sync.html
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Microsoft freebie "sync" tool should do what you want:

http://sourcedaddy.com/windows-7/sync.html
It cannot tell the boot code on Kindle-fw5.6.1 to accept a downgrade image.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It cannot tell the boot code on Kindle-fw5.6.1 to accept a downgrade image.
My post was intended as a reply to post #11 above - the person who was saying that he couldn't find a way to flush the "lazy write" disk cache in W7. Sorry, I should have quoted it in my reply.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, downgrade, koreader, opds, pw2