Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
A lot of people want access to both the Amazon bookstore and the Kobo bookstore.
I can certainly appreciate that reason, however some people have two or three kindles and four epub readers, shouldn't one kindle be enough to cover the amazon book store? I have two one kindle and a epub reader, a simple touch, that means that I have access to the amazon book store from my paper white and my simple touch can cover all of the other book stores,
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #17
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have a PW2, a DXG and a Kindle 2. I use both the PW2 and DXG, sometimes I want to read on a larger screen. I'd sell the K2, but I don't think I'd get enough for it to cover the price of packing it up and shipping it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I can certainly appreciate that reason, however some people have two or three kindles and four epub readers, shouldn't one kindle be enough to cover the amazon book store? I have two one kindle and a epub reader, a simple touch, that means that I have access to the amazon book store from my paper white and my simple touch can cover all of the other book stores,
You're basically right. Part of it is just a matter of wanting to collect these things. Collecting eReaders is a fairly harmless disorder. I enjoy trying out different models and seeing what strengths and weaknesses they have. If I was paying full retail price for them it could be a harmful disorder, as that would mean I would be putting this collecting bug over the needs of my family. As it is, I almost always buy them for less than what I can sell them for.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #19
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can try them out without paying a dime for them, bestbuy typically has a display model that will demonstrate the device with the intention to sell a unit. However playing with the demo conveys no need to buy the unit at all. At the moment they do not have a display voyage or I would imagine that there would be a real long line to see what the voyage is like. I can always say "Honey I am going to play at best buy." Why should my kids be the only ones to play in the family.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
You can try them out without paying a dime for them,
Yeah, but trying them out is not really using them. You can't even get a true feel for the device when it's tied with a cable to the counter. Besides, you have the annoyance of other people wanting to try it out also -- and then there's the fact that you won't find any older models, or anything besides Kindles at a Best Buy -- or Nooks at B&N.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #21
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen
A lot of forum members have multiple readers from different brands. My question is why do you have multiple readers? What is the advantage of having multiple readers vs having just one reader?
Since acquiring an ereader, I've so far maintained only device for that primary purpose at a time: first a NOOK Tablet, now a NOOK HD. (Fortunately, the NOOK Tablet was within its SquareTrade 2-year warranty period when it stopped booting into NOOK mode and began working only in Android mode. Otherwise, I'd have kept it for visitors who wanted to read something other than what's on my shelves.) The other devices on which I sometimes read (e.g., my smartphone, laptop, and desktop computer) are merely secondary ereaders; each has a primary purpose other than reading.

When shopping for a NOOK Tablet replacement I'd considered - but then discarded - the idea of killing two birds with one stone, by buying a Samsung Galaxy Note phablet rather than a NOOK HD + a new smartphone. In retrospect, I made the right choice (for me) by buying two separate devices: typically, I prefer to read on the NOOK's 7" screen, but sometimes (e.g., when attending social functions or running errands), I want/need to carry a smaller device that fits comfortably in my purse or in a waistband case.

Last edited by Froide; 10-13-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:34 AM   #22
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Collecting eReaders is a fairly harmless disorder.
I'll go with this one......and add cases.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:45 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Collecting eReaders is a fairly harmless disorder.
And it takes a lot less room than collecting books!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #24
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
There is no absolute reason to have more than one. In most cases, we are gadget fans and can't help ourselves, so then find excuses to have more than one. The exception is that some larger units work better for technical, craft and cooking pdfs and comic books. I currently have 5 units.

Nook Glow - has all bookclub reads on it. Just bought this about a month ago. I bought it to replace the Nook ST that I desperately missed after giving to sibling.
Kindle 6" - This is my takealong that I keep in my purse. Has a large variety of books, magazines and anthologies. Only cost $50, so if lost, stolen or broken, I won't be too emotional about it.
Kindle keyboard - I have hundreds of books on here, all sorted by series.
Nook HD+ - Primarily used for craft and cooking PDFs, audiobooks and 'in bed' reading. Can be set to scroll and has TTS. Too heavy for regular reading, IMHO.
Kindle HDX - Bought primarily for whispersync titles and TTS. Too heavy for regular reading IMHO.
Kindle Keyboard 2 - bro no longer wanted. Has all my emagazines (like Asimov, Ellery Queen) on here so it gets used regularly.

One of the problems with having multiple readers is that you have to regularly use all of them or the battery just goes bad. My bro and I bought our Kindle Keyboards at the same time. Mine was used daily and his only the first couple of months and then not at all. My battery lasts WAY WAY longer than his does.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-14-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #25
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
One of the problems with having multiple readers is that you have to regularly use all of them or the battery just goes bad. My bro and I bought our Kindle Keyboards at the same time. Mine was used daily and his only the first couple of months and then not at all. My battery lasts WAY WAY longer than his does.
By using regularly - would it be fine it I just occasionally turned an unused one on and flipped a couple pages and then turned it off about once a week?
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #26
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I have a Sony T1 and a Nook STR Glowlight. I use them both, as I prefer the Sony when I'm reading in bed, and the Nook when I'm going to be in places where the lighting may not be optimal. So, the Sony stays by the bed, and the Nook goes places with me.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #27
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
By using regularly - would it be fine it I just occasionally turned an unused one on and flipped a couple pages and then turned it off about once a week?
I've found that it's sufficient to keep my K2 going by plugging it in for a few hours every couple of weeks.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #28
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I don't really have any rhyme, reason, or a well-thought-out reason for the devices that I currently have or have had. I do the Kindle stuff because that is an obvious one for me as I get most of my digital goods through Amazon (music, movies, etc.).

I just acquire and use what I am interested in at the moment.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #29
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I only read one book at a time on each device and have multiple books going at one time, so each reader is for a different book.

With the exception of my very first ebook reader (Sony PRS-505), I only buy when they are being sold at a significant discount. The Kindle Keyboard was an unsolicited gift from my husband, the NOOK HD+ was going to be an Android tablet for me (in the past year I have installed only two ebook reader apps on it), and the Sony PRS-T1 was the replacement for the PRS-505.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #30
jbcohen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
There is no absolute reason to have more than one. In most cases, we are gadget fans and can't help ourselves, so then find excuses to have more than one. The exception is that some larger units work better for technical, craft and cooking pdfs and comic books. I currently have 5 units.

Nook Glow - has all bookclub reads on it. Just bought this about a month ago. I bought it to replace the Nook ST that I desperately missed after giving to sibling.
Kindle 6" - This is my takealong that I keep in my purse. Has a large variety of books, magazines and anthologies. Only cost $50, so if lost, stolen or broken, I won't be too emotional about it.
Kindle keyboard - I have hundreds of books on here, all sorted by series.
Nook HD+ - Primarily used for craft and cooking PDFs, audiobooks and 'in bed' reading. Can be set to scroll and has TTS. Too heavy for regular reading, IMHO.
Kindle HDX - Bought primarily for whispersync titles and TTS. Too heavy for regular reading IMHO.
Kindle Keyboard 2 - bro no longer wanted. Has all my emagazines (like Asimov, Ellery Queen) on here so it gets used regularly.

I supose Tarra is correct when Tarra says that we gaget fans can't help ourselves. Peronaly I am not a gaget, I am simply a fan of all things technologically advanced for our time period. For this era that means smart phones and tablet computers, however I have also been a voracious reader that reads everything that he can put his hands on so put my love of all things technologicaly advanced together with my need to read and you get ereaders.