Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darseno View Post
Size: 103.78 MB

WTF??
Yes, that's its size. Your point is?
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Updated without a problem.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
darseno
Connoisseur
darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
Yes, that's its size. Your point is?
What's yours?
darseno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Updated without issue, and the "select words and start the dictionary lookup" bug really does seem to be fixed.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Has anyone tried updating a rooted T1?
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #21
lateasusual
lateasusual began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
Coincidentally, I developed an issue yesterday when the reader would not bring up the "page/table of contents" menu when I touched the page number. It wasn't frozen. Pages turned but this did happen after using the dictionary and I got a "force exit" message.

I touched the "OK" button and it went back to the home page. I did a reset just for added measure and the dictionary was functioning again. However, as I stated, touching and holding on the page number did not bring up the "page/table of contents" menu when I wanted to see how many more pages I had to read to the end of the chapter.

Anyone else have that issue? I did not update my reader last month because I only had to do one reset since I bought the Sony PRS-T1 and didn't want to create any further headaches with a buggy update. Maybe the "page" menu issue was fixed in the first update or even the more recent one yesterday?

I won't know until I get my hands on a compatible computer to do an update. My Mac is stuck on 10.4.11.
lateasusual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #22
lateasusual

Quote:
Originally Posted by darseno View Post
What's yours?
The point is that you have an issue with the size of the file download. Why is it such a big deal to you? There now. The point plainly asked. Can you answer the question more respectfully?

Last edited by lateasusual; 01-28-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #23
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by lateasusual View Post
...I won't know until I get my hands on a compatible computer to do an update. My Mac is stuck on 10.4.11.
When the last update came out, someone came up with instructions on how to apply it if you used Linux. You basically unzipped the .exe file, copied over one of the files to the device via USB, and then rebooted holding down two buttons. Search this forum for the instructions, and you should be able to install from your Mac in exactly the same way.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #24
lateasusual

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Sony has the following firmware update on the web site:

File Description UPDATE Sony® Reader™ (PRS-T1) System Update Release Date 1/27/2012 Version 1.0.04.12210 File Size 103.79 MB This utility updates the PRS-T1 firmware to version 1.0.04.12210 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over system software version 1.0.03.11140:
•Resolves an issue where using a very short page flick to turn a page may accidentally select words and start the dictionary lookup

Improvements provided by previous software versions and included in version 1.0.04.12210:
•Improves touch panel functionality
•Improves stability when searching the dictionary
•Improves Internet connectivity
•Improves Digital Rights Management (DRM) contents compatibility
•Resolves an issue where the Reader is unable to download some e-book files

Has anyone installed this update?
Is it necessary to have installed the previous update released in December 2011? I didn't do that and Sony doesn't listed the 1.0.03 on their firmware update page now. Just the latest.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #25
lateasusual

Thanks for the tip. That may come in handy, though, "getting my hands on a compatible computer" was just a matter of waiting for my other half to come home with their Mac 10.7 laptop to do the update.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:47 AM   #26
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Updated without issue, and the "select words and start the dictionary lookup" bug really does seem to be fixed.
Mine updated without any problems either.

Last edited by chrisridd; 01-29-2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: It doesn't fix font styles after all
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #27
Laserjock
Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-350; PRS-505RC; iPhone 4
The large size of the F/W is probably attributable to the data in the 12 or so embedded dictionaries; the code to run the H/W is probably small.

=Laserjock=

Last edited by Laserjock; 01-29-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #28
SuzanneTF
Enthusiast
SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader/Kobo Aura One
I'd been having a lot of problems with the dictionary coming up when it wasn't supposed to. When I turned the page it seemed very easy to trigger it once again. And I was having problems selecting words to "intentionally" look up in the dictionary. I just assumed I hadn't gotten the hang of it.

Now that I've updated, my ability to call up the dictionary seems to have dramatically improved. And I haven't seen "unwanted dictionary" yet.

Last edited by SuzanneTF; 01-30-2012 at 10:23 AM.
SuzanneTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #29
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
First post here but I've had my T1 for a few months and have been reading the forum on and off. I updated my firmware yesterday with no problems and I haven't encountered the dictionary problem since so it seems fixed.

It could possibly be my imagination but my page turns seem to be faster as well.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #30
justloveebooks
Enthusiast
justloveebooks began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 6, Kindle Voyage 2x,Sony PRS-T1 rooted,Sony Prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Has anyone tried updating a rooted T1?
Yup, had to charge it first, was just nearly empty yesterday evening when I read about the update.
Went without a hitch, on reboot the usual selection which program to start - still rooted.
That was with Mac OS X 10.6, from the Sony Reader Application.

That said I did not have the described problems with the dictionary. Sometimes a klick on the hardware-button for page forward resulted in 2 pages forward, if that is solved I will only see in a longer reading session.
Wether this update is needed? I cannot say. I see no harm.
The last problem which required to root the PRS-T1 again was a chance to clean things up, so that was not too bad to be forced to do so.

But imho (maybe remembering wrong!) that was not the Sony Update but rather a not running program which had to be closed and resulted in a hung reboot, requiring a hard-reset.

Last edited by justloveebooks; 01-30-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Additional Information
justloveebooks is offline   Reply With Quote