Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
ultimoed
ultimoed began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
Unhappy Resetting PRS 505

Greetings! Just purchased a Sony Reader PRS 505 last week and have joined the forum. This morning I had loaded some books onto my reader and then disconnected it from my computer. The reader seemed to freeze when loading as after about 30 minutes it was not complete. So I did a reset with the button on back.

My question is how long does a reset usually take? It has been starting up for about 25 minutes. I didn't know if it normally took a long time.

Thanks for any help!
ED
ultimoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you reset it, did you use the reset button on the back?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
ultimoed

yes i used the reset button on the back of the reader
Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing that could be wrong is that the battery could be too low. Plug it in and give it a few hours charge and then give it a go.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
ultimoed

before I did this the battery setting was reading as fully charged. It is still sitting here with the starting up screen going after an hour.
Advert
Old 11-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
ultimoed

Smile

ok it finally finished resetting everything is ok now. As I wipe my brow i relief.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Please remember that:
- If the battery is totally flat, the Reader might be unable to charge itself from the USB port, so use external charger
- if you load lots of books to the Reader (especialy if you add files without the use of the connect sw) the Reader might take quite a long time to examine all the new files.
- If you load lots of books, the battery might go flat very quickly. I mean, you load the books to the SD card and insert cart do the Reader, or you upload the files and then disconnect the reader. Under the normal circumstances the processor runs full speed only a very short time needed to update the screen. When you load hundreds of rtf files to the reader, the procesor runs quite a long time until it the Reader examines the contents of each file. You can loose "two bars" of battery after inserting an SD card with books.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Please remember that:
- If the battery is totally flat, the Reader might be unable to charge itself from the USB port, so use external charger
Except for the fact that the 505 doesn't come with a charger. There have been a couple of threads like this and it seems that if the battery is completely flat then it can recarge from the USB port.....that was one of the "enhancements" of the 505 over the 500

Last edited by mcramer; 11-15-2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: jeesh - can't even spell USB!
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's what the Sony rep told us during the conference call: the 505 can charge from USB even when it's totally flat.

It's easy to get confused as to which model is under discussion in any given thread.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

That is why when discussing the 500 and/or the 505, we need to specify which reader we are talking about.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:45 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ultimoed did specify, but we still got ourselves confused!
Old 11-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
ultimoed did specify, but we still got ourselves confused!
Well I meant it as a general bit of advice. A lot of people don't have the model # in their profile and just Sony Reader. That used to be OK when it was just the 500, but not any longer now that we have the 505 as well.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

I realized you meant it as general advice, I just meant that we all still aren't used to looking for it even when it's there, so we've got some adjusting to do.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I realized you meant it as general advice, I just meant that we all still aren't used to looking for it even when it's there, so we've got some adjusting to do.
Very true. We do tend to miss looking at the user's info when it is right in front of us if it's not also in the post. But also, I see a lot of people who don't have their profiles properly updated so when we want to say something specifically to the poster, we have to kind of say a lot of IFs. If you live in the USA, If you don't live int he USA, if this, if that, etc.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #15
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
The funny thing is that if you don't have a Sony Reader yet (c'mon Dec 3rd) you automatically look for a device type either in the post or the profile. Maybe it's because you're only interested in the device that you are looking buying? I dunno but I just look for the string 500 and 505 as soon as I see a new thread

All of you guys and gals that have had the 500 for a while must just take them for granted! lol!
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote