Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
Arthur Nibble
Arthur Nibble began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
pleeeeeeeeeease help = Trying to get Publisher is driving me mad !!!!!!

pleeeeeeeeease help, sounds simple. want to get publisher version , so go to Mobipocket site, click on publisher, click on download, creater file installed. then I get Wizard installer saying do you want to repair or remove mobipocket creater 4.2. So I click on repair, it installs quite nicely, creates icon etc and when I click on it I get the home edition. At no point do I get the chouce to select publisher edition. Nothing special about my pc, normal windows etc.
Man alive I am tearing my hair out

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp
Arthur Nibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Downloading from here should get you a file "creator.msi" of 10,606,592 bytes.

If that's the file you've got, then I suggest that the problem is the old copy of the home edition. Try uninstalling that completely, and deleting any remnant of it, before trying to install the new version.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
Arthur Nibble

Firstly many many thanks for responding so quickly. Searched in windows explorer & deleted all previous versions of creator & anything I can with mobip prefix.
So hope am now clean. Downloaded the file but it is 10.358 not 10.606
any idea what next ? Feel like I am a complete computer numpty as can't resolve what seems to be a really simple issue.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Nibble View Post
Firstly many many thanks for responding so quickly. Searched in windows explorer & deleted all previous versions of creator & anything I can with mobip prefix.
So hope am now clean. Downloaded the file but it is 10.358 not 10.606
any idea what next ? Feel like I am a complete computer numpty as can't resolve what seems to be a really simple issue.
Umm... just deleting the files isn't uninstalling. There's probably lots of stuff left over in the registry. However, give it a go. If it offers to repair or remove, get it to remove!

And then try installing again.

I download the file on a Mac. Perhaps that affected the file size. I'll check on a windows machine.

Nope, on my Windows XP machine, the file size is still 10,606,592.

When I run the installer software I get the following screens first:
  • Welcome to Mobipocket Creator 4.2
  • End User License Agreement
  • Creator Edition Selection (Home or Publisher)
  • Select Installation Folder

I don't know where your installation differs, but I'd try uninstalling (if given the option) and then reinstalling, making sure I was using the installer downloaded from the link I gave.

Are you sure you're not using an old copy of the installer that you already had?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
Arthur Nibble

using the wizard tried to remove but got message "There is a problem with the Windows installer program. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor".
hmmmmmmmmmm
sorry, but how would I uninstall ?
when you say "run the installer software what do you mean ?
so grateful for your help
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Reinstall the home edition, and then uninstall it using its uninstaller. THEN reinstall, and select "Publisher".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
Arthur Nibble

Hi Harry - sorry, where do I find its uninstaller ?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Windows Control Panel, "Programs and Features" (if you're using Windows 7). Select the program, then "Uninstall".
Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #9
Arthur Nibble

HarryT & PDurrant ..........I salute you !!!!!
we have lift-off !!!!!!
have been banging my head against a brick wall for three evenings (also been a bit of a bear to live with if I'm honest, and that is an understatement when repeatedly asked the question "how are you getting on" grrrrrrrrr).
Hey, now all I have to do is load up the word doc, make something called a toc.ncx file from scratch,sounds simple but hey, so did this !
cannot express sufficient thanks
you are both stars
Old 10-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Happy to help.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Of course, we might have been answering the question you asked, rather than the question you should have asked.

There's really not a lot of point in using Mobipocket Creator anymore, really. KindleGen is the way forward if you're generating files for uploading to Amazon.

Also, I thought that Mobipocket Creator generated the NCX file for you, but it's a long time since I used it.