Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
buddytheelf
buddytheelf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
awesome, thanks! i appreciate all of the help.
buddytheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #17
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
No problem, and you're welcome!
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #18
buddytheelf
buddytheelf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I found on another site that someone had installed Internet Explorer 9 on their computer and they starting having the same problem with mobipocket creator after that. So they, then, uninstalled IE 9 and mbpc worked fine after that. I tried that and it did the trick!
buddytheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #19
VictoriaSky
VictoriaSky began at the beginning.

Device: Mobi
Mobi error message

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
Actually, that looks like it's referencing one of the Mobipocket Creator files, as indicated by that URL. The error message "Object doesn't support this action" fits with that, since line 94 in the referenced file (C:/Program%20Files/Mobipocket.com/Mobipocket%20Creator/rsrc/html/table_of_contents.html) is part of the Javascript function "update_toc()", and the error message is a typical Javascript execution error. That line reads:

Code:
weholder.external.set_toc_parameters(document.forms[0].toc_title.value, parameters);
(The text on that line starts on character 3 because it's indented by two characters.)

Perhaps someone with a better knowledge than me of Javascript and using it to manipulate document objects might be able to suggest what might actually be triggering this error?
Hi

I get an error message similar to the above. I'm using Open Office to create my original document then save as Word .doc - run it through Mobi and it's fine. My TOC works in the .prc but Kindle doesn't recognize my TOC in its "menu go to" so I tried using Mobi Guide Items and after entering toc and start - I got the error message when trying to update:

Microsoft Internet Explorer
4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0;

MDDC; .NET4.0C; BRI/2)0

Line: 149
Character: 3
Code: 0
Url: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Mobipocket.com/Mobipocket%20Creator/rsrc/html/guide.html

Since I didn't create the html - Mobi did - I don't understand why this is happening. Any help is appreciated. Thanks !!
VictoriaSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
If you have IE9 installed, uninstall it. As written here and on the KDP forums, MBPCreator is incompatible with IE9; downgrade to IE8 and you'll be fine.

HTH
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The IE9 problem only affects an auto-generated table of contents. Create one manually, as I always prefer to do, and it all works fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
William Campbell
Connoisseur
William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb

I ran into this problem too, after getting a new laptop with Win7. All was well under XP previously, then this mysterious Java error popped up when I tried adding guide elements.

Fiddling with IE 9 did nothing for me, but I found one other way around the problem. Mobipocket Generator will create the e-book fine; the problem only lies in entering the info into the program's interface. So I circumvented the dated software by editing the .opf in Notepadd++. Once re-opening in Creator, the desired information shows up.

The code for the guide is at the end, just before the closing </package>

Here's an example that is for start point, copyright page, and location of the toc, referencing the internal .html file (nothing external).

Code:
<guide>
  <reference type="start" title="Start" href="emeralds-never-fade.html%23prologue"></reference>
  <reference type="copyright-page" title="Copyright Page" href="emeralds-never-fade.html%23copyright"></reference>
  <reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="emeralds-never-fade.html%23contents"></reference>
</guide>
The %23 of course is the # symbol to indicate an internal reference. Worked for me, perhaps it will for others stuck as I was.

Last edited by William Campbell; 08-15-2011 at 01:30 PM.
William Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #23
WykenSeagrave
WykenSeagrave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The javascript error is caused by IE9. Uninstall it and it will work. To uninstall see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...net-explorer-9
WykenSeagrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #24
linnx88
Enthusiast
linnx88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Campbell View Post
I ran into this problem too, after getting a new laptop with Win7. All was well under XP previously, then this mysterious Java error popped up when I tried adding guide elements.

Fiddling with IE 9 did nothing for me, but I found one other way around the problem. Mobipocket Generator will create the e-book fine; the problem only lies in entering the info into the program's interface. So I circumvented the dated software by editing the .opf in Notepadd++. Once re-opening in Creator, the desired information shows up.

The code for the guide is at the end, just before the closing </package>

Here's an example that is for start point, copyright page, and location of the toc, referencing the internal .html file (nothing external).

Code:
<guide>
  <reference type="start" title="Start" href="emeralds-never-fade.html%23prologue"></reference>
  <reference type="copyright-page" title="Copyright Page" href="emeralds-never-fade.html%23copyright"></reference>
  <reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="emeralds-never-fade.html%23contents"></reference>
</guide>
The %23 of course is the # symbol to indicate an internal reference. Worked for me, perhaps it will for others stuck as I was.
Thanks a lot! That worked great for me.

I used %23toc instead of contents though!

Didn't think uninstalling IE9 on Win7 is wise.
linnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #25
Caroline Schmutz
Caroline Schmutz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
Compatibility with Mozilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
If you have IE9 installed, uninstall it. As written here and on the KDP forums, MBPCreator is incompatible with IE9; downgrade to IE8 and you'll be fine.

HTH
Hitch
I created an e-book from word document and that went ok. I included a bookmark at the start of the story too but that does not work. I tried to add it using "guide" but it did not work. I have IE installed but mozilla is the default internet used by Mobi to create the publication file. Is there a problem of compatibility somewhere?
Caroline Schmutz is offline   Reply With Quote