Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
thosrtanner
thosrtanner began at the beginning.

Device: none
mobipocket creator issue

Hi. I hope this is the correct place to post this. It seems to be the forum with the most posts about mobipocket creator.

Anyway, I've seen several sets of instructions on how to create tables of contents, and most of them involve clicking "New Guide". I can't find this anywhere. When I have the list of files up, all I can see is "Add file" on the left hand side of the window in available actions. And Publication, cover image and table of contents in the View Section.

Nothing anywhere about guides.

Any help would be much appreciated.
thosrtanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosrtanner View Post
Anyway, I've seen several sets of instructions on how to create tables of contents ... And Publication, cover image and table of contents in the View Section.

What happens if you click on "Table of contents"? Can't you create a table of contents there? (Sometimes a button means what it says )
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosrtanner View Post
When I have the list of files up, all I can see is "Add file" on the left hand side of the window in available actions. And Publication, cover image and table of contents in the View Section.
There are two version of the Mobipocket Creator available: Mobipocket Creator 4.2 Home Edition and Mobipocket Creator 4.2 Publisher Edition. Make sure that you didn't download the Home Edition, which lacks some features.
The Publisher Edition has a Guide menu that allows you to add and remove Guide items. (It's the last entry under View.)
BTW, if you use the Table of Contents Wizard, it'll automatically generate a TOC and add the corresponding Guide item for you. For example, if you only used <h2> and <h3> tags, you'd simply click Table of Contents and enter h2 in the First Level Name field and h3 in the Second Level Name field and click the Update button.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:46 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Both versions are in the same installation package. You need to make sure you choose "Publisher Edition" when you install the program.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
thosrtanner
thosrtanner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
There are two version of the Mobipocket Creator available: Mobipocket Creator 4.2 Home Edition and Mobipocket Creator 4.2 Publisher Edition. Make sure that you didn't download the Home Edition, which lacks some features.
The Publisher Edition has a Guide menu that allows you to add and remove Guide items. (It's the last entry under View.)
BTW, if you use the Table of Contents Wizard, it'll automatically generate a TOC and add the corresponding Guide item for you. For example, if you only used <h2> and <h3> tags, you'd simply click Table of Contents and enter h2 in the First Level Name field and h3 in the Second Level Name field and click the Update button.
Ah. I pressed "install home edition", not "install publisher edition" after I downloaded the installer. Uninstalling and reinstalling fixed that.

Sadly, the Amazon Kindle Reader for PC doesn't understand the table of contents page, though it works fine on the kindle.

Many thanks
thosrtanner is offline   Reply With Quote