Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 03:05 AM   #16
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
I was still wondering about the membership though - seeing it is giving you credit, and I still do get some multiformat stuff from some publishers - and then there are the mags - given it is credit and a free book?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #17
Anggun
Enthusiast
Anggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yay! I was hoping that they're going to have this Buywise Club sale again. My membership expires last month and I was holding out for such a sale.
On another note, its interesting to see that the last weekend discount "101609" is still working
Anggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
Zapped
Enthusiast
Zapped began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Sorry I'm not hep to the jive - what does "100% micropay rebate" mean? I go to the fictionwise site, click for more info about 100% micropay rebates, and I get this:

Quantity Purchase Rebates. You will receive a micropay rebate for large credit card transactions. Again, these rebates are above and beyond all other discounts that apply to the sale:
* Orders over $100 and under $200 will receive a 10% micropay rebate.
* Orders over $200 will receive a 15% micropay rebate.

Example 1: as a member if you place a credit card shopping cart order for ten novels totalling $60 after your discounts, and you add another $50 of micropay for a total sale price of $110, you will receive an $11 rebate (10% of $110) into your micropay account.

Example 2: if you placed a credit card order at Fictionwise with a total sale price of $200, you would receive a micropay rebate of $30 (15% of $200).

Not only does that text fail to mention 100% rebates, it doesn't explain what a micropay rebate is. A rebate to my credit card? A credit for future purchases at fictionwise - with or without restrictions?

They also doesn't explain what the point of the gymnastics in Example 1 really mean - place a credit card order or $60 and "add another $50 of micropay"? Huh?

I did a search both here and on that fictionwise explanatory page & I'm still clueless about micropay. Yes, I'm a newb to these eBook sites, but for a site catering to the literate, they're being a little opaque...

[EDIT: OK, I dug around the fictionwise site & now I see that micropay just means a credit that can be used to spend on other fictionwise purchases. So my last question is this: does the "100% micropay rebate on membership" just mean that whatever you pay to join the buywise club is credited back to your micropay account? Meaning if I sign up for a year at $29.95, I'll immediately have $29.95 to spend on whatever books I choose, and will still be eligible for standard club rebates for the rest of my buywise membership period? I think the answer is "yes", but I want to make sure]

Last edited by Zapped; 10-22-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added more info
Zapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
[EDIT: OK, I dug around the fictionwise site & now I see that micropay just means a credit that can be used to spend on other fictionwise purchases. So my last question is this: does the "100% micropay rebate on membership" just mean that whatever you pay to join the buywise club is credited back to your micropay account? Meaning if I sign up for a year at $29.95, I'll immediately have $29.95 to spend on whatever books I choose, and will still be eligible for standard club rebates for the rest of my buywise membership period? I think the answer is "yes", but I want to make sure]
Yes. As soon as you finish checkout you'll have $29.95 in credit plus a coupon for a free book up to $10 (or $10 off a more expensive book).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #20
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Yes, Micropay is just store credit. You can use it for any purchase and you still get any discounts or rebates. UNLESS it states "Credit Card/Paypal Only" on the rebate, then that rebate would not apply (but discounts always apply).
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #21
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
While I Renewed my Membership last Month (Whicih I got using Last Years Offer) I Ended up getting an additional Year's Extension as I was planning to Buy some Micropay anyway as my balance was getting a little Low.

As Most of the books I usually get aren't usually offered for 100% Micropay, Its a win win situation for me as I get the $30 back as well as the $10 Credit.

Plus, I was wondering whether or not this offer was going to reappear this year, after the B&N Takeover, and the same issue could pop up next year. Witm Most Books on my list Being Cheaper at Fictionwise with the membership, its basically a coupon for an additional discount on ost purchases that is valid for an additional year.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #22
Yosa
Yosa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Debating...

I'm still debating this offer, as I have a Sony Reader.

I currently have a Fictionwise membership and I mostly would buy Microsoft Reader files/un-DRM them and switch them over to ePub. Fictionwise, after being bought by BN, has moved over to strictly Mobipocket and eReader formats for new books it seems. At least every book I want to get is one of those formats and I just don't want to be bothered figuring out how to get those books on my Sony Reader.

I buy a few multiformat books here and there, but I'm still debating it in my head. I'm also interested in finding out what happens with BN using ePUB since that format DOES work on my reader.

Nina
Yosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #23
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
I also need some help. So if I get the 30 dollar in micropay rebate, and I use some of that to buy a NY best seller, so I still get the micropay rebate and keep my $30? sounds too good to be true...I tried to see if they said credit card/paypal only but their system seems down right now
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
I also need some help. So if I get the 30 dollar in micropay rebate, and I use some of that to buy a NY best seller, so I still get the micropay rebate and keep my $30? sounds too good to be true...I tried to see if they said credit card/paypal only but their system seems down right now
Say you used some of it to buy 'The Lost Symbol' which sells for $17 club price. You would lower your micropay balance by $17. If you payed the $17 with a CC then you would add $17 to your micropay balance. Anything over 35% (50%, 100% etc) requires you to pay by CC/PayPal if you want the rebate.

So...

$30 starting balance
Pay by micropay = $13 balance
Pay by CC = $47 balance
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:13 AM   #25
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I'm confused

Does the geographical restrictions not apply, if you're a 'buy wise' member?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #26
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I won't be bothering. Nearly all of my (long) wish-list is geo-restricted, as are virtually all the new books that looked interesting. I know I could jump through a few hoops, get my USian family members to purchase them for me, or even some of my US-based colleagues (who volunteered after a rant!), but who needs this nonsense? I certainly don't. I've already got a huge reading/re-reading list, so I'm really not going to miss that much.
No need to rant. Those-geo restrictions are very easy to circumvent:

1 Change the country in your Fictionwise account to USA
You can now use Micropay to pay for geo-restricted books.

2 If you want to pay with your credit card (to get the large rebates) you can use your UK credit card. Just use any valid USA addresss (for example google a pizzahut in New York) as the billing address on the payment page.
If you you change the addresss in your Fictionwise account to this USA addres, and change the country to USA, you can buy all books and geo-restrictions do not exist.

3 For a very few books you might see a credit card check on your bookshelf instead of a download link. For those books use www.hidemyass.com to access your bookshelf. After downloading those books once, the credit card check will be gone.

4 If in step 2 your payment is not accepted because you get a warning about location (happened to me just once, no one else has mentioned this), just get a cheap ($8,50) USA VPN account at www.alwaysvpn.com.
You can also use such an account for step 3.

Good reading!

Last edited by geertm; 10-24-2009 at 12:43 PM.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #27
movieking
movieking began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
So for any Canadians that are members, is it worth it (with the normal exchange rate, not the current almost on par rate)? The books seem more expensive than most of the other bookstores online. How long would it take to pay for itself (I know the 100% rebate pays right away, but I am more talking about the higher prices that they seem to be charging)?

Also, I know this is a stupid question, but since I have a PRS505, what format would I need to download? I've read the FAQ and it still confuses me.
movieking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #28
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I am a Canadian and I never deal with exchange rate issues because the only items I buy with my own money are things which are offered at 100% Micropay rebate. I the use the rebate money to buy other things I want.

I have a 505 as well, and I buy multiformat titles (you can download them in epub or LRF) and secure eReader. Secure eReader will need a certain amount of fiddling in order to work though. You'll need to use a script to 'liberate' the file, then clean up the resulting HTML and convert in Calibre into epub or LRF.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #29
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Say you used some of it to buy 'The Lost Symbol' which sells for $17 club price. You would lower your micropay balance by $17. If you payed the $17 with a CC then you would add $17 to your micropay balance. Anything over 35% (50%, 100% etc) requires you to pay by CC/PayPal if you want the rebate.

So...

$30 starting balance
Pay by micropay = $13 balance
Pay by CC = $47 balance
i see, thanks
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #30
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
I bought the membership (only for Dell Magazines in fact)... But I can't find the coupon for the free ebook.. Where should I look for it ?
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote