Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-26-2023, 01:22 AM   #1
Mahira
Mahira began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo,windows11
Experience with book subscription services

Has anyone ever tried book subscription services, since i am looking for one. Also please share your experience if you have tried.
Mahira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:24 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Back when they were a viable concern, I belonged to the Leisure Horror book club. They sent me two mass market paperbacks a month. I didn't love evrything they published, but the editor, Don D’Auria had good taste. I still buy new books from authors I discovered through Leisure Horror.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2023, 08:07 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Back when they were a viable concern, I belonged to the Leisure Horror book club. They sent me two mass market paperbacks a month. I didn't love evrything they published, but the editor, Don D’Auria had good taste. I still buy new books from authors I discovered through Leisure Horror.
I was never a part of that, but I wish I had been. In fact, I don't recall WHY I never joined. I consider my inaction a major mistake...
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:19 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahira View Post
Has anyone ever tried book subscription services, since i am looking for one. Also please share your experience if you have tried.
I used to belong to The Science Fiction Books Club (aka SFBC). That was before eBooks. My experience was good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:21 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I was never a part of that, but I wish I had been. In fact, I don't recall WHY I never joined. I consider my inaction a major mistake...
I found that independently, I was invariably purchasing most of the books they released anyway, so it made sense to join.
Advert
Old 07-28-2023, 11:48 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I used to belong to The Science Fiction Books Club (aka SFBC). That was before eBooks. My experience was good.
I was a part of that just before my teen years, and I have wonderful memories of being excited when my selections arrived.

That's how I initially became acquainted with Clifford D. Simak and Issac Asimov, and a host of other writers.

It was a great time to experience that 'sense of wonder'.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 06:29 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I was a part of that just before my teen years, and I have wonderful memories of being excited when my selections arrived.

That's how I initially became acquainted with Clifford D. Simak and Issac Asimov, and a host of other writers.

It was a great time to experience that 'sense of wonder'.
I agree. It was a good way to buy books you would never have thought of buying.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 01:10 PM   #8
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have probably 2000 ebooks and maybe only read 400 of them so i don't have a need but the new KOBO plan looks sweet. I do not like kindle unlimited for the books seem to be mostly noname authors or indi and I tend to only read NYT best seller authors. Basically all the authors i like are not on kindle unlimited.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 01:13 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
I love horror. I can't find any info online about this program tho.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 03:46 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I love horror. I can't find any info online about this program tho.
I'm not surprised. They went defunct thirteen years ago. Here's the Wikipedia page for Leisure Books.

They helped resurrect Richard Laymon from obscurity and published stuff from Brian Keene, Simon Clark, Douglas Clegg, John Everson, Nate Kenyon, Edward Lee, Jack Ketchum, Deborah leBlanc, James A. Moore and Sarah Pinborough.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-08-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:24 AM   #11
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Unfortunately nothing has replaced that for me. I loved the service even if the quality wasn't up to par. Also the Hard Case Crime series - still a fan of the former, but I remember when they were announced and was excited to jump on that bandwagon
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 10:26 AM   #12
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Most of the physical service now seems to be for book box deals. Some of them look fun, especially with the bookish items if that appeals to you (does to me), but the price is considerably higher than previous sub deals when it used to be a thing, and of course shipping is a factor since that's risen so much over the years. I don't sub to a monthly box despite sometimes it seeming like a fun idea. Some of the companies allow you to buy boxes that weren't sold out for sometimes a cheaper price, and without having to be a member, after a few months have passed
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 11:04 AM   #13
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
You can find an excellent selection of book boxes here. I am partial to the "Chocolate and a Book" variety. Most boxes are curated to your tastes, some more than others. The "used" boxes are quite affordable.

My main objection to curated books is that they always end up sending 1-2 books I have no interest in reading.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote