Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-05-2023, 09:56 AM   #16
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
It's interesting to look at Ellison's spin on this:

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sh...dge_of_Forever

(it was available as an ebook, but like many of his things seems to have been removed?)

That said, I like the episode as it aired, and am fine w/ the adaptation by James Blish (anyone know if those are available as ebooks?)
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 04:16 AM   #17
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
It's interesting to look at Ellison's spin on this:

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sh...dge_of_Forever

(it was available as an ebook, but like many of his things seems to have been removed?)

That said, I like the episode as it aired, and am fine w/ the adaptation by James Blish (anyone know if those are available as ebooks?)
They're not, no. None of the books published by Bantam between 1967 and 1981 are available as eBooks and the Star Trek Logs by Alan Dean Foster from Del Rey/Ballantine are also out of circulation.

Mind you, over the course of about forty years I think they were reprinted often enough for everyone who wants them to have at least three secondhand copies of each and still have change left over to buy a pet Tribble!

And as far as recommendations go, I've found the recent Picard novels to be generally excellent. The second one with Troi and Riker was a slight letdown, but the two by Una McCormack (The Last Best Hope / Second Self) and John Jackson Miller's Rogue Elements are well worth checking out. The latter's a prequel with Rios doing a fine Han Solo impersonation.

Peter David's always a good name to look out for on older Next Generation titles and having re-read John M Ford's How Much For Just the Planet? a few weeks back, I can confirm that it's one you won't forget!

Last edited by Kieran Seymour; 06-06-2023 at 05:36 AM.
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2023, 05:14 AM   #18
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Harlan Ellison agrees with you.
Of that I am sure. Next two favorite episodes are 'Balance of Terror' and of course in third place 'The Trouble with Tribbles'.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:49 AM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Of that I am sure. Next two favorite episodes are 'Balance of Terror' and of course in third place 'The Trouble with Tribbles'.
I always liked The Doomsday Machine. Reading the Wikipedia article, there was a TNG novel sequel, Vendetta.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:57 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd always hoped TNG would do an episode as a sequel to A Piece of the Action. That was a culture that had a book left behind and modeled their whole culture on it. Then at the end, McCoy leaves his communicator behind.

I thought it would be fun to see the new crew run into a ship that looks like the Enterprise straight out of the original series, uniforms and all. But the Iotions still have their gangster attitude.
Advert
Old 06-07-2023, 01:08 PM   #21
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I'd always hoped TNG would do an episode as a sequel to A Piece of the Action. That was a culture that had a book left behind and modeled their whole culture on it. Then at the end, McCoy leaves his communicator behind.

I thought it would be fun to see the new crew run into a ship that looks like the Enterprise straight out of the original series, uniforms and all. But the Iotions still have their gangster attitude.
You might want to take a look at Picard: Rogue Elements by John Jackson Miller if you want to see what the Iotians get up to later on.
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:37 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Seymour View Post
You might want to take a look at Picard: Rogue Elements by John Jackson Miller if you want to see what the Iotians get up to later on.
Thanks. It sounds fun.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:24 PM   #23
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Seymour View Post
Gasp!

Adds to wishlist...
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:28 AM   #24
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
I always liked The Doomsday Machine. Reading the Wikipedia article, there was a TNG novel sequel, Vendetta.
Doomsday Machine was a great one to, as was A Piece of the Action.

44 different original series books are available on Kindle for 267 bucks.

Last edited by drofgnal; 06-09-2023 at 05:16 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 06:21 AM   #25
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:

If you like to listen to podcasts, there is a fan production called "Outpost" where one of the main characters is from this world (Iotia?) It has a pretty good story-line/production values. I must warn you that it isn't finished, but it some 80-plus episodes so you get quite a few stories out of it.
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 02:13 PM   #26
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Ishmael, because I also like Here Come the Brides.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 11:28 AM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Ishmael, because I also like Here Come the Brides.
Speaking of Ishmael, last night I watched the 1998 Moby Dick miniseries starring Jean Luc himself as Captain Ahab. And it was fun to to see another Trek actor emote some of the Moby Dick lines that were incorporated into The Wrath of Khan ('he tasks me!' and 'from hell's heart I stab at thee!')

Tags
media fiction, science fiction, sff, star trek