Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you ever subscribed to an author's newsletter to get a free eBook?
Yes, and I continued to receive the newsletter 17 28.81%
Yes, but I used a throwaway email or unsubscribed afterwards 5 8.47%
Yes, I have done both 1 and 2 depending on author 12 20.34%
No, I have not 24 40.68%
None of these options fit 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2023, 01:31 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Have you ever subscribed to an author's newsletter for free eBooks?

Some authors offer to send a free eBook if you subscribe to their newsletter. Have you ever taken them up on this?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-18-2023 at 01:34 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:42 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
A handful of times, if it was a book I was interested in. I wouldn't do it just for any freebie.

I unsubscribed from most of them a couple of years later, because they had published nothing else interesting (to me).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2023, 02:46 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Same here; if the freebie looks interesting, I subscribe and get it. (I also use an email specifically for the newsletters to avoid spamming up my main one.)

Then I keep the newsletter for a few weeks. If I find the newsletter interesting and not obnoxious I keep it; otherwise unsubscribe.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:48 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Not recently, but I did a couple of times in years past. I usually unsubscribe after a few months unless I'm really interested in the author's blog.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 03:28 PM   #5
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast
Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tab Ultra C, Meebook P78 Pro
No, never. And I don't see a reason why I ever should. The only living author I actually would look forward to for new books doesn't even seem to have a website. And so far Joe Keenan has only written 3 books/novels. But I really like all 3 of them.
Gormagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2023, 12:30 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Yes, but only for authors I already read and like.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 07:39 PM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I refuse to be bribed.

But mostly I just haven't subscribed to any author newsletters, freebie or no.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 11:39 AM   #8
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I've done it a few times, and a few times read, or started to read, the free book I got. I can't remember liking any of them well enough to buy more books from the author, though.

On the other hand, there are at least five authors I've discovered by reading fan fiction they wrote and shared for free, and who I've bought two or more books from.

I get several author newsletters that mostly stay unread in a folder, and which I probably should unsubscribe from. The ones I read are by favourite authors. Courtney Milan has one that's mostly about tea
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 07:26 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am subscribed to only one author, and it was not for a free eBook. The author is David Drake and I find his emails interesting in a human-interest sort of way.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 11:59 AM   #10
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Same here; if the freebie looks interesting, I subscribe and get it. (I also use an email specifically for the newsletters to avoid spamming up my main one.)

Then I keep the newsletter for a few weeks. If I find the newsletter interesting and not obnoxious I keep it; otherwise unsubscribe.
Me too.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 11:17 PM   #11
Kromaa
Kromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKromaa makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo by Fnac Nia 6" 8 Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
Me too.
I'm starting to get into it too. It feels like the early 2000's when I started reading my first lines. The y2k didn't do me any good lol
Kromaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 12:26 AM   #12
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Usually it's because I like an author and want to get updates on future novels. Then I find that they are offering a free book (usually a short story that relates to one of their series that you can buy, as best I recall).
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:56 AM   #13
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I've done this a few times. But if I'm interested in the author, I don't need a freebie. I just want the newsletter.

I'd rather sign up for a free book, knowing I will be subscribing to an author newsletter, than enter sweepstakes and get newsletters from about 12 different authors.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #14
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
And I regretted it immediately because they started with all the spam
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:51 PM   #15
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I subscribe to a few authors I like, regardless of whether there are free ebooks or not.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote