Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-24-2016, 01:42 AM   #1
Saxguy
Connoisseur
Saxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toys

Device: K-3, Kindle Fire HDX 7" 2013
PDF v's iBook interactive

Im looking for advice or information re interactive multi-touch iBooks.

I have a kindle (1st Gen which my wife has now stolen!), a kindle fire, my PC and a Mac powerbook pro.

My quandary is this. I have recently looked at purchasing a few technical books on Amazon, and was then made aware that I could get them in either iBook Interactive, or, PDF. To be honest, I didn't have a clue what iBook interactive was, but when I read up about it, I thought it sounded great. However, I dont have an iPad, but, i either use Kindle Fire, my Mac or PC on occasion.

Obviously the Kindle is portable, I read it in bed easily etc. The Mac I use during the day, and the PC when Im in the office. I have Calibre set up on the Mac, and the PC, and I import books to my Kindle.

The thing is, I really want to have access to these technical books from any device, but, I have been told that iBooks of this nature cannot be used on Kindle (or in Calibre) etc.

My question is, if i get the iBooks, will I actually be left with a ‘book’ that I cannot read unless I have my Mac, and will I not be able to add it into my Calibre library? Which, leaves me wondering, is it worth just sticking with PDF and losing some functions, ie the multi-touch links etc.

Any info would be gratefully received, as I am out of my depth a little with all of this.

Thanks.
Saxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd stick with PDF. You can read it anywhere. iBooks is Apple only, so you can only read them on a Mac, iPhone or iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
Saxguy
Connoisseur
Saxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toys

Device: K-3, Kindle Fire HDX 7" 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd stick with PDF. You can read it anywhere. iBooks is Apple only, so you can only read them on a Mac, iPhone or iPad.
Thanks for the reply Harry. So the iBooks, can they be listed and retrieved in Calibre even?

Cheers
Saxguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple ipad books, help needed, ibook to kindle, interactive books