Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
biscuitbear
biscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo by fnac
Can't adjust line spacing

Hello

I just bought a new epub book from The Book Depository and transferred it to my kobo using ADE (also tried it with Calibre). The font size can be adjusted, but not the line spacing, and the lines are much too close together, I can't read like this, and I hate the thought of having wasted money buying this book. Anyone has any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!
biscuitbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Sadly, many books enforce various formatting options (usually margins and spacing), so all you can do is grin and bear it. Unless you know what you're doing with calibre and can get rid of the DRM and reformat the ebook with an epub-to-epub conversion.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
biscuitbear
biscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura about

Ugh, thanks anyway. I'm a newbie and no clue about DRM, so I won't go there.

I wonder if it would "solve" the problem if I re-bought the same book direct from Kobo. I downloaded the preview, and was able to adjust the line spacing in the preview. Could the line spacing adjustment possibly be different in a kobo epub vs epub bought somewhere else of the same book?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbear View Post
Could the line spacing adjustment possibly be different in a kobo epub vs epub bought somewhere else of the same book?
Yes, but don't be afraid of Calibre. Google "Apprentice Alf" for the add-in's you'll need to remove the DRM (it's actually easier to set up than using Calibre for the first time, so don't be scared of it). Calibre looks intimidating, but it is pretty easy to use. Give it a try before you re-buy something you already have.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
biscuitbear

Thanks for the advice. Alf is incredibly helpful. I de-DRMed the book and converted it from epub to epub, but still can't adjust the line spacing. Ah well, at least now I know how to de-DRM. I feel very advanced.
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Can remember where exactly to find it, but there is a post or two somewhere in here that will describe how to remove formatting with Calibre. Might be as easy to read the manual to find it. You might need to do that during the e-pub to e-pub to get to where you want. I think if you play with some of the settings in the "look and feel" tab when doing the conversion might do it for you too.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
biscuitbear

Woohoo! Success at last! I changed the minimum line height in "look and feel" to 180% and that did the trick. Many thanks!

Now I can finally start reading Becoming Jane Eyre, I went to hear the author speak about her book at the WH Smith shop in Paris yesterday, so I was really eager to start!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
In look and feel under "filter style information" I have had good luck selecting all the boxes to eliminate information. For minimum line height I have it disabled. So far this has let me adjust fonts, font size, margins, and line spacing on the Kobo itself.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Actually it's best to at least get rid of the information for fonts, margins, line-height and text-align to be able to adjust all to your liking.

It's in Look & Feel -> Filter Style Information: select Fonts and Margins and write 'line-height, text-align' in the "Other CSS Properties" field.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
biscuitbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Actually it's best to at least get rid of the information for fonts, margins, line-height and text-align to be able to adjust all to your liking.

It's in Look & Feel -> Filter Style Information: select Fonts and Margins and write 'line-height, text-align' in the "Other CSS Properties" field.
Thanks, that worked a treat.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbear View Post
Thanks, that worked a treat.
Glad I could help.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote