Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
alexdc
alexdc began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Website to ereader?

I have downloaded the entire web-book at the website: http://openbookproject.net/thinkcs/python/english2e/. I don't know too much about .html and the way it gets converted to different ereader formats, but is there a way to take this downloaded site and convert it to an ereader format, such as .epub, with Calibre or another program?
alexdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
your best bet is to install "Sigil" [there's a sub forum dedicated to it here at MR] and then just copy and paste each html section into one "epub". That is what I'd do anyway...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Thumbs up

This is what you want: Instapaper!

Go to website,

1. Create account (easy, username and password, nothing else, even password is optional)
2. Follow the site's instructions to add the bookmarklet to your favourites bar.
3. Whenever you visit the site, whose page you want to save as chapter of a file, click on that bookmarklet.
4. Do it for all chapters in sequence
5. Go to instapaper account. Click on either Download to kindle/ download to ePub reader. The file will be either *.mobi or *.epub file.
6. Transfewr file to your reader. Even contents are added.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
alexdc
alexdc began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I actually ended up figuring this out just by playing around a bit. Doing as follows you get a perfectly formatted, completely indexed ebook with virtually no effort:

Download website (already completed in my case, but if someone else is interested) using wget

Locate contents of book within download, which should be contained in a sub-folder

Delete all cascading style sheets (.css files) and any sort of text files within the folder (and this is where I was getting my problems. There was a .txt file within the download, so when I tried to convert the html later on I kept getting an excerpt from "Alice in Wonderland", as Calibre was trying to convert the .txt instead of the html. Later on, Calibre tried to preserve the original formating of the site, rather than wrapping the text/images. This was because of the cascading style sheets).

Rename folder with book contents to "HTML".

Zip folder. Rename archive to "Whatever you want the book to be called".zip.

Use Calibre to convert to desired format.

Perfect output!
alexdc is offline   Reply With Quote