Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-28-2023, 02:56 PM   #1
crazycropper
crazycropper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Fiction Rec Request: Quantum Immortality

Quantum immortality is a corollary of quantum suicide and as a subject is fascinating to me.

This How Stuff Works article provides a good explanation of the thought experiment and this short story provides a decent example of the topic in a fictional piece. I'd appreciate any suggestions!
crazycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 05:23 PM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I can't say I've seen this particular spin on immortality.

The closest I can think of is the "uploading" of a person / sentience into some form of computer as an "elevation" of humanity and method to become immortal. One series of books that explores that a bit is Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth books. It is certainly not the focus of the series. Unfortunately, it's not till the second series (the Void Trilogy) that it really comes into its own but the first two books (Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained) are excellent and do include some hints of it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
It's been a while since I read them - Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon series?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 07:08 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The Quantum Thief and the following books by Hannu Rajaniemi may be interesting to you. Many types of higher beings have some form of immortality based on quantum mechanics in that series.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 05:02 PM   #5
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
M.R. Carey: Infinity Gate. Parallel universes, quantum stuff, great story, recommended. BUT, be warned, it's the first of a series, ends on a cliffhanger and the second book is due next year - Eek!

Adrian Tchaikovsky: Doors of Eden. Quantum immortality for sure but involves more mass murder than suicide. ( I'm not his agent or his mum, I promise, even though I do plug him shamelessly)
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 05:01 PM   #6
crazycropper

Shoot, new to mobilereads and keep forgetting to come back. Not a habit yet, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The closest I can think of is the "uploading" of a person / sentience into some form of computer as an "elevation" of humanity and method to become immortal. One series of books that explores that a bit is Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth books.
That works too, a slightly different itch but still something that interests me. Hopefully the Commonwealths are less dense than Poul Anderson's Genesis. Not sure I could read a full series as dry as that. Are the Commonwealth's in the same world as the Night's Dawn trilogy? Goodreads thinks they're related and a friend was just taking about Night's Dawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It's been a while since I read them - Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon series?
Doesn't seem like it, at least from the blurb. But I may check them out eventually anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The Quantum Thief and the following books by Hannu Rajaniemi may be interesting to you. Many types of higher beings have some form of immortality based on quantum mechanics in that series.
This was apparently already on my tbr...thanks for reminding me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
M.R. Carey: Infinity Gate. Parallel universes, quantum stuff, great story, recommended. BUT, be warned, it's the first of a series, ends on a cliffhanger and the second book is due next year - Eek!

Adrian Tchaikovsky: Doors of Eden. Quantum immortality for sure but involves more mass murder than suicide. ( I'm not his agent or his mum, I promise, even though I do plug him shamelessly)
Adding Infinity Gate to my tbr, what's one more series on top of all the others?

Thanks for flagging Doors of Eden! I'm slowly working my way through Adrian Tchaikovsky's bibliography (honestly, slower than he writes). I'm less interested in the suicide side than the immortality side so quantum immortality by way of murder works for me! I'll bump that up in priority.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:10 PM   #7
crazycropper

Actually, fathead, Doors of Eden appears to be available at my library now so I'll move it wayyyy up in priority to "next"