Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-30-2023, 08:33 PM   #1
chongjasmine
Connoisseur
chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sherlock Holmes Pastiches recommendations!

I like pastiches which maintain original voice or style and looks something like what Doyle will actually write and set in the canonical universe. So no female sherlock, sherlock in mars, or things that go out of characters.
Kindly recommend them here, please.
chongjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 01:21 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I just read such a short story this very evening in Colin Dexter's book "Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories". There is only the one Holmes story, but I thought it was pretty clever. You also get the added bonus of many good Inspector Morse stories.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:06 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
David Marcum [Ed.] is doing some incredible things, as editor, with his "MX" anthologies. I think it's up to at least 38 volumes (perhaps more.) Check him out.

"Sherlock Holmes on Mars" - I like it! I like it! It could join John Bloodstone's "Tarzan on Mars".

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-01-2023 at 08:26 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 07:11 PM   #4
db105
Zealot
db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes, by Adrian Conan Doyle and John Dickson Carr. In the style of Arthur Conan Doyle, and decent quality, without being outstanding.

The New Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes by Martin Edwards. I haven't read this one yet, but the author is good, and the stories are supposed to be in the style of ACD.

Last edited by db105; 07-01-2023 at 07:14 PM.
db105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 07:47 PM   #5
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
David Marcum [Ed.] is doing some incredible things, as editor, with his "MX" anthologies. I think it's up to at least 38 volumes (perhaps more.) Check him out.

"Sherlock Holmes on Mars" - I like it! I like it! It could join John Bloodstone's "Tarzan on Mars".

I looked into David Marcum's MX anthologies a while ago, but after seeing the ebooks cost over $20 each, which is insane, I dropped that one like a hot potato. I doubt he sells very many at that price.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 07:21 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I looked into David Marcum's MX anthologies a while ago, but after seeing the ebooks cost over $20 each, which is insane, I dropped that one like a hot potato. I doubt he sells very many at that price.
They are expensive, but they contain a wealth of material. And they're often huge. 700-900 pages.

They seem to vary between $14 - $23 - yes, very expensive.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-06-2023 at 08:38 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote