Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2023, 03:53 PM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Narrator, not omniscient, not unreliable, not protagonist

I'm thinking of books where the narrator drives things. I hate unreliable narrators; I think that's a cheap trick. But a narrator doesn't have to know everything and doesn't have to be the protagonist.

(Made up example.)
Quote:
Because of a new contract in the Azores and my ongoing divorce I lost sight of Betty and Jim during the revolution and only ran into them unexpectedly in a little bar in Torremolinos some time in the early spring.
Two examples (out of probably many) that I can think of (no apologies):
"The Razor's Edge", W. Somerset Maugham
"The Drifters", James A. Michener
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:22 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
How about Nick Carraway in The Great Gatsby? He's borderline, I suppose; he has his biases, but he essentially gives a truthful account.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:27 PM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
How about Nick Carraway in The Great Gatsby? He's borderline, I suppose; he has his biases, but he essentially gives a truthful account.
Ha, ha. I just read that again as it became PD.
Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR) has a pretty good radio play (in German):
https://www.ardaudiothek.de/episode/.../ndr/12699493/
After reading if for the umpteenth time and hearing the radio play a few times I've come to the conclusion that Nick has respect for Gatsby because he had Nick's lawn mowed for him before his tea with Daisy. Of course, I could have missed something.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:03 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
An Artist of the Floating World. Kazuo Ishiguro. He is super unreliable, but its brilliant.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:17 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
An Artist of the Floating World. Kazuo Ishiguro. He is super unreliable, but its brilliant.
Did you see where the OP says she hates unreliable narrators? You could start your own thread instead of derailing this one.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:22 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I thought of one, but it's not one I can recommend.

Noel Strachan in A Town Like Alice tells a straight story and he's both important yet tangential to the main story. However, not only is the racism off-putting (depending on where you fall on the "of its times" spectrum), it's a failure technically, since Noel ends up relating things he couldn't possibly have known, i.e., he's omniscient where he couldn't be.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:43 PM   #7
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
"Remains of the Day" is why I hate unreliable narrators.
Also, "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd", Agatha Christie: "Reader, I murdered him..."
But let's not go down this rabbit hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Noel Strachan in A Town Like Alice tells a straight story and he's both important yet tangential to the main story.
That fits the criteria. I've read everything by Nevil Shute. He spins a good yarn for an engineer. "No Highway" gets high marks for being prescient about the dangers of metal fatigue in airplanes.

Tags
narrator