Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I love seeing people's approach to creating a story. My approach would be this - first of all, I would develop software that would help me plan my approach to the story..........
You may jest, but...<ahem>...<points>...The Journal

That's pretty close to what happened.

I started keeping a journal in my early 20's because I had read writers should keep a journal. I figured it would be good "writing practice". In my late 20's, I designed and developed The Journal to make journaling easier, with an eye to building a tool that I could use for writing. Finally, in my mid-30's, I started using my software to write books and stories.

In the past couple years, a friend of mine who is also a software developer with a dream of writing did something very similar. His software, StoryBox, is now available, and he's using it to write his next novel.

So, yeah, that happens.

Scary, no?

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #17
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also just found yWriter 5 written by an Australian author that was created to help him write novels.

Downloaded it just yesterday as I thought it might help me with writing projects at work. Who knows - might end up being responsible for a particularly poorly written novel by moi.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #18
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Summoning Fire Reviewed at Bookingly Yours

It is about a place called Hell on Earth where hell's creatures mix with humans. It's like a tourist destination, humans can meet with demons, undead, and other creatures BUT some aren't lucky to make it back home. That's the risk they have to take if they want to visit the place. I liked the plot, it was very original. A good horror book, and I think this would be good to be adapted on the big screen. I will definitely watch it.

Read the whole review here...

-David
Old 12-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
DavidRM
Addict

Win a FREE Signed Copy of The Summoning Fire!

Enter through Friday, December 24, to win a FREE copy of The Summoning Fire!

1 FREE signed copy of The Summoning Fire in trade paperback will be given away.

All Reese Howard has left is pain--and a pump-action shotgun. Sam is dead. The Old Man killed her right in front of Reese, a blood sacrifice to fuel his latest powerplay in Hell on Earth. Reese hopes the Old Man made a mistake, leaving her alive and armed. But she doubts it. He knows she's coming. The bastard has to know. Whatever. Reese plans to make him pay. And she plans to die trying.

Click Here to Enter

-David
Old 12-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
DavidRM
Addict

Click here to read a FREE Preview of The Summoning Fire!

Enjoy!

-David
Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #21
DavidRM
Addict

A Story of Reese & Sam

Note: This is another story I wrote about Reese & Sam while I was still exploring them as characters and Hell on Earth as a setting. This story is non-canonical with The Summoning Fire. That is, if it did happen, it might not have gone down exactly this way. But it might've happened...

Reese Goes Back to Work for the Old Man
by David Michael

The Old Man caught up with Reese and Sam at their new favorite eating, drinking, and ill-reputing establishment, the Horny Toad.

The night had been a normal one for the Toad, noisy, boozy, and raunchy. Sam and Reese had been in the middle of it, two hot hired-killer women, playing pool earlier, now sitting at the bar, weapons visible in scabbards on their backs, making life miserable for the men who approached them.

Then the noise, the drinking, the debauchery all stopped at once, and, somehow, a path cleared from where they sat at the bar all the way to the front doors.

"I told you," Sam said, "we should've left town."

Reese memorized the spot on Sam's neck where she would bite the other woman later, leave a mark, for sure, and maybe even draw blood, then followed Sam's eyes to the bad news. "Yep," Reese agreed, feeling sick and numb at the same time. "You did."

Read the rest of the story on my blog, Guns & Magic...

-David
Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #22
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi David,

The Summoning Fire is the next ebook on my TBR list. Looking forward to it.

Regards
Caleb
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #23
DavidRM
Addict

Caleb,

Very cool to hear.

Happy reading!

-David
Old 01-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #24
caleb72
Indie Advocate

David, David, David. Just finished this.

What a great book!

The inventiveness, the humanity and cruetly of the characters, the non-linear nature of the story. It was all just so good - like a diabolical rug that was being woven from the centre to the edges.

Some story elements I was thinking I would be criticising while I was still reading; the small story of the witch and the Piper spring to mind. However, it became a little like the literary version of the movie Vantage Point with different perspectives helping to add more detail to the story.

I was wondering at the point of giving the Summoned a perspective at all, but it ended up being integral.

A few random scenes thrown in to give the Summoned some rampaging - true to form for a horror book.

Now I'm wondering when your next book is going to be released.

4/5 stars.

Regards
Caleb
Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #25
DavidRM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
David, David, David. Just finished this.

What a great book!

The inventiveness, the humanity and cruetly of the characters, the non-linear nature of the story. It was all just so good - like a diabolical rug that was being woven from the centre to the edges.

4/5 stars.

Regards
Caleb
Thank you for reading!

Just to mention it: Demon Candy is due out before the end of January.

Demon Candy - Four linked stories of Hell, and Life, and Life in Hell. The demon Jike decides he needs a change. Canto, an undead hellcat, gets a night out on campus. Donut baker Ted Millet, divorced and broke, has a new customer that makes his ex-wife seem almost human. And Emily M-Something March, dead and damned for thirty years, finds herself back in her home town with a fifty-foot demon after her.

-David
Old 01-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #26
DavidRM
Addict

Dark Eva Reviews The Summoning Fire!

Dark Eva Reviews The Summoning Fire!

The writing style is very engaging, to the point, and direct, which helps flesh out the characters...

I’d like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to the author for casting a demon who actually acts like one and doesn’t spend the entire novel moping about his existence and how sorry he was to be born. And he uses a magic language system that isn’t Latin or Anglo-Saxon derived, which is a nice change...

A word of caution: this novel contains highly graphic depictions of violence. I’m not talking about cartoon violence. I mean that if you squirm at some highly graphic, sadomasochistic sex scenes, you might want to skip this one, as Michael doesn’t hold back at all...

Click here to read the whole review.

-David
Old 02-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #27
DavidRM
Addict

Enter through Monday, March 7, 2011, to win a FREE copy of The Summoning Fire!

All Reese Howard has left is pain--and a pump-action shotgun. Sam is dead. The Old Man killed her right in front of Reese, a blood sacrifice to fuel his latest powerplay in Hell on Earth. Reese hopes the Old Man made a mistake, leaving her alive and armed. But she doubts it. He knows she's coming. The bastard has to know. Whatever. Reese plans to make him pay. And she plans to die trying.

Click Here to Enter

-David
Old 03-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #28
DavidRM
Addict

Reminder: Win a FREE Signed Copy of The Summoning Fire!

Reminder: Win a FREE Signed Copy of The Summoning Fire!

Enter through Monday, March 7, 2011, to win a FREE copy of The Summoning Fire!

-David