Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
OrganicJerk
Enthusiast
OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook STR
Sigil "Remove Formatting" errors? Does not actually remove all formatting.

Hello everyone... New user here!... new to the site and also new to E-readers in general..

I've been giving myself carpal tunnel (fingers stuck on delete and spacebar keys) going nuts with this one book only to find that I cant seem to save my style edits..

So I bought an ebook and I didn't like the formatting (as in, it wasn't), and I spent hours on Sigil correcting it, but then while previewing the book in Calibre, I saw that the text was HUGE, and nothing like it looked in Sigil, so I just decided to kill all the formatting altogether.

So as I was going through each chapter, I Ctrl+A then Ctrl+Space'd the entire book, manually cleaning up alot of horrible formatting along the way (why my fingers are cramping right now)

You ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT upload copyrighted material to MobileRead without the permission of the copyright holder. This is an action which normally merits an instant and permanent ban. We're giving you one (and only one) chance because you're new here.

Thanks.

MobileRead Moderating Team

When I saved the book and previewed again, alot of the chapters were totally out of whack, and looked nothing like what I saved... I kept making changes in Sigil and they never stick!

I'm sort of wonky on coding, but if I clear formatting, shouldnt it just clear all of the styles from the pages, even if the styles themselves are in the stylesheet?

I've attached the book here for review for anyone willing to give it a look. It's now 5:12am and I have no sense of accomplishment, lol.

Thanks

Last edited by OrganicJerk; 02-15-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Wanted to edit subject
OrganicJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is a BIG No No to post copyrighted material. Please remove.

Fonts appear normal (are you sure that you did not move Sigil's zoom slider?)

Paragraph spacing is done with <br />
The included (Calibre) stylesheet, is now mostly worthless, since all selectors in it have been removed.

The Stylesheet was the First (and only) place to fix global font issues in a book that uses CSS.

Note: I have (unknown actions) managed to get Sigil weirded out and the display gets strange. Only re-booting the computer seemed to clear out the Sigil foo
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
My advice: create a stylesheet and do some good search and replace in code view. Also, make font-sizes in em, not pt. The font size is then resizable and reasonably sized.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
OrganicJerk
Enthusiast
OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Understood about the file, My apologies.

Now that I have a clearer head I was able to address my issue and allow myself to style from scratch.

The clear formatting option in Sigil seems to be flawed, and doesn't really clear all formatting, at all. There were some glaring omissions from the command and I'm not sure why it wouldn't touch them. I may be wrong, but that was my understanding, as many pages had all kinds of font styles.

I searched around and found a pretty good solution that works in Dreamweaver.

I'm stating some obvious here but I will for anyone else like me who's new to this.

First, I had to rename the epub extension to .zip, which allows me to unzip the file and gain access to each page as an html file.

I then opened all of the documents in dreamweaver and followed both of the posts that "David Powers" makes in this link:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2177558

That seemed to give a nice clean slate. I can now give this thing a semblance of organization.

Shouldn't the publishers be spending time doing this stuff? The original file was a MESS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
make font-sizes in em, not pt. The font size is then resizable and reasonably sized.

Last edited by OrganicJerk; 02-15-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The 'problem' with the clear formatting option, is that Sigil can only remove formatting which it set itself. Since there are many ways to create formating, it is impossible for Sigil to know what is formatting and what not.

Switch to code-view (like I said before) and do some replacements of the tags. You can use wildcards and RegEx. The formatting will be gone very fast or replaced with the formatting you desire. You can skip Dreamweaver then.

Keep in mind that it must be xhtml, not html. It looks the same, but has some unique features.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
OrganicJerk
Enthusiast

Gotcha. Well with the adobe link above I was able to clean up all of the formatting and format the thing from scratch, so I've got a pretty good clean book ATM.

Thanks