Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #12421
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Rain, wind, cold. The kind of weather March is supposed to "come in with," not "go out with!"
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:00 AM   #12422
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, the day was pretty much this:

Hours and hours of gray skies, wind, rain on and off ...

Then, out of nowhere, just one bolt of lightning -- in our back yard -- with a cannon blast of thunder ... followed by ...

More gray skies, wind, rain on and off, and sunset. Followed by ...

More gray skies, wind, rain on and off, and dark. And wondering if there'll be another lightning strike.
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 01:38 AM   #12423
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
In your back yard?!? Did it damage anything?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:09 AM   #12424
cromag

Nothing of notice. Our back yard is wooded, and we had several dead trees* taken down last fall. But there was a pretty dramatic blue flash in the kitchen windows!

* The water table shifted a few years ago. Most of the trees handled it fine, but all of our Ash trees died.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #12425
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll bet that was a very exciting blue flash in the kitchen windows. I'd like to see a lightning bolt that close up just once in my life (but no closer!). And I don't mean in the last few seconds of my life, either!
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #12426
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'll bet that was a very exciting blue flash in the kitchen windows. I'd like to see a lightning bolt that close up just once in my life (but no closer!). And I don't mean in the last few seconds of my life, either!
We had one hit either the house or very very close to it once. The person who was at home felt quite a shock at the time (literally also), and it blew out the modem/router and the TV set.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #12427
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
We had one hit either the house or very very close to it once. The person who was at home felt quite a shock at the time (literally also), and it blew out the modem/router and the TV set.
Oh, yeah. Hadn't thought of that. Let me amend my wish: I'd like to see a lightning strike close up sometime when I'm nowhere near my home. And when I say close, I mean close but not touching.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #12428
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
And March goes out like a lamb! Finally! We seem to have skipped spring and plunged into summer - temps will top 80 F this week. Go figure!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #12429
cromag

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
In the mid-70s I worked for the Division of Fish and Game here in Northern NJ. We were based in a 19th century farm house in a locality named "Ironia." It was a major source of iron for the colonies before, during, and just after the Revolutionary war -- in the form of "bog iron" that could be picked up as nodules in the nearby wetlands.

The farm house was on a hill -- high elevation, cleared land, iron-saturated ground -- and was routinely hit multiple times by lightning during each and every storm. It was (more than) adequately rodded and grounded, of course! We learned to run for the house at the slightest rumble of thunder.

I can't count the number of times I watched the windows flash as lightning struck. Fortunately, I was never hit. The area manager, however, had been hit twice. He was singed, but lived.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #12430
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Was a nice day today that was ruined by a rain shower on my drive home. Now it is just bleh!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #12431
cromag

Hopefully Spring's here to stay -- I just got my hair cut.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #12432
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well ... a week of summer ... storms tonight ... spring this weekend ...
Old 04-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #12433
cromag

It's a beautiful, sunny day. It's in the mid-forties and there's a gentle breeze.

A good day for a quick drive on the highway to get together with the (extended) family to celebrate my Dad's 90th birthday.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #12434
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Lovely spring day on Saturday, chilly & blustery Sunday, severe storms with torrential rain predicted for Monday (with isolated tornadoes) ...Did someone put Mother Nature on fast forward?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #12435
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
It's gorgeous here. I love autumn! Mild, sunny, birds are cheeping, breeeze is light.

ETA: I take that back, now. We're having a late burst of summer, 30 and steamy, with temps to 33 predicted a couple of times later in the week.

Last edited by meeera; 04-09-2014 at 04:11 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds and lightning and, hugo and lefty