Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #16
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It's on my "To Be Read" list

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #17
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

I have 61 Hours from my local library, and I have read all the previous books, in order.

Yes, the POV shifts between novels can be unsettling, though I think the style works best in first person.

Some of the books are definitely better than others, though I'd hesitate to say any were "bad." The fragmented sentences don't bother me at all, and I take them as being straight from the thoughts of the protagonist.

The Lee Child website is interesting, and there was an interview not so long ago where Child discussed his process of writing and the criticisms leveled at genre fiction in general and his work inparticular: so-called "mainstream" or literary authors are often contemptuous of genre stories, referring to them as "commercial" or "plot-driven" (as opposed to "character-driven") writing.

He has pointed out that it is no easy thing writing a genre novel (such as a Jack Reacher book), and said that if literary writers could do it, they would. I tend to think that in many instances he would be right.

There are some excellent interviews of Child on YouTube. The one for Gone Tomorrow is quite worthwhile.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #18
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
I have read all of them. Ripping yarns . The one with the Tanks from Iraq was very thin . 61 Hours was really good .Lee finally stopped ramming the whole no clothes thing down our throats. I try to ignore it in all the stories. Here's this hunk 6' 4" , takes out the bad guys with one punch etc. Always gets the girl -has a shower maybe every second , changes clothes every 3-4 days , he's a physical guy - So why doesn't he stink. He must sweat rosewater!! As I said I read the yarn and try to ignore all the crap about clothes etc.
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I've read all but 61 Hours. I enjoy his plotting quite a bit and recommend his books.

I do have a bone to pick about the protagonist. Reacher would be more interesting to me if he wasn't such a superman. He's just a bit too good at what he does and his emotional control is too absolute. Okay, some of Child's weapon play is also oddly written, not his strongest, compared to his hand-to-hand scenes.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #20
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
I've read all the Jack Reacher novels so far - I really enjoy the books (I like the independence of Jack and his ability to just be his own man).

I agree with the consensus here: Lee Child wrote [on purpose] a cliffhanger-style book with 61 Hours.

Although - I had heard an Internet rumor (source[s] unremembered & untraceable) that Lee Child had meant to kill off Jack Reacher but decided to continue on.

Personally, I'd hate to have a long-running character die because the author is done with him/her. I should think it would be hard to start up a series with a main character if you knew s/he was going to die in book #X. It'd almost be like knowing how the book ends...

Anyway. List me as one who's waiting for September to find out what happens to Jack.

Marilyn
September? My book said November.

Maybe it's released earlier in the US.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think it's October in the US for the next book. I might give book 8 a go next as it's a prequel and I do like reading in timeline order.

I'm finding that Jack Reacher reminds me a little bit of Rambo in First Blood as both are having to do things they don't want to do because of just being were and when they are.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #22
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Okay, so all this Lee Child talk made me catch up and read 61 Hours. I do feel his writing has improved. Or maybe Lee is just slowing down, relaxing, and smelling the coffee. I enjoyed his scenes more than I recall in earlier books.

However, the ending? Not to give any spoilers but --

"Dear Mr. Child, you've got to be &*%#'ing me! Signed, an upset reader."
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #23
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I've read all of them except 61 Hours.

Anyone even tempted to read Dan Brown should just pick up these and read them instead. Both my wife and I have found every book to be a "one session" read, although some are better than others.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had to stop reading Killing Floor and now that I've read The Golden Compass, I can continue and finish Killing Floor.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #25
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've read through the entire series twice, enjoying everything about it! I can't wait for the next book to come out. These are great 'traveling books,' perfect for a nine-hour plane ride. No deep thinking required. Just like the 'Spenser' series by Robert Parker, but those are better for 4 hour rides. When Parker stopped writing about Spenser and started up Jessie Stone, it was more like 'Spencer goes to the Beach.' I don't want to see Child create a different Reacher. I like the old one.

Jack Reacher
Lucas Davenport
Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus
Lincoln Rhyme (although deeper plot construction)

John K said "I was going to describe this series as the guy equivalent of “Chick Lit” and I think he's right. I out-grew the Hardy Boy and Tom Swift. These took their place.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I recently finish Killing Floor. It's one of those books you just do not want to put down.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #27
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm getting ready to re-read the series. I REALLY enjoy this character! If they were going to make a movie of the books, who would be your choice to play Jack?

Stitchawl
Old 08-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm getting ready to re-read the series. I REALLY enjoy this character! If they were going to make a movie of the books, who would be your choice to play Jack?

Stitchawl
I was thinking maybe Richard Dean Anderson as Jack Reacher. Who would you choose?
Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #29
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was thinking maybe Richard Dean Anderson as Jack Reacher. Who would you choose?
Is he big enough? I always think of him as thin and wiry. Remember, one of Reacher's advantages is is size.

Perhaps Jason Statham or Daniel Craig, but with a little bit of Hollywood 'thickening.' In either case it would take some creative camera work.

Stitchawl
Old 08-27-2010, 03:00 AM   #30
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
Hi everyone,

I lean towards Sean Bean though he is getting on in years - I think early in the series, Reacher was described as being fair-haired, and I thought of Bean or someone similar.

There are several threads on the Lee Child website regarding this.

Can't help but think that perhaps Dwayne Johnson could be a possible - he has an imposing physique! Bear in mind, Reacher doesn't do a huge amount of talking, so facial expression and body language will be important. (One of the best from the past was Alan Ladd. Can't immediately think of a contemporary actor who did so well.)

Height need not be an issue: if Peter Jackson can make John Rhys-Davies appear sub-5-feet tall for Gimli the dwarf in LOTR, much is possible!

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote