Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
LittleMe
LittleMe began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch. Would like a Kindle 2.
Question Anything like David Eddings?

Those books I read through junior and senior high school.

I miss the story I might re-read them, but I was wondering if there any other authors out there like him?

Thanks.
LittleMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Have you tried Terry Brooks' Shannara series?
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 03:51 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Elizabeth Moon - Paksenarrion/Gird series
Juliet E McKenna - Tales of Einarinn & Aldabreshin Compass
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peadar Ó Guilín View Post
Have you tried Terry Brooks' Shannara series?
I second the Shannara series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I second the Raymond E Feist (Magician) recommendation, and also the Elizabeth Moon/Deed of Paksenarion.

Feist's books are available through fictionwise (& other places). Unfortunately, the first two trilogies aren't available as legal ebooks.

The Deed of Paksenarion, in contrast, is available at in an omnibus volume ay webscription.net for just $6

http://www.webscription.net/p-100-th...senarrion.aspx

and you can read the first book, which is about the first third of the omnibus, for free.

http://www.webscription.net/p-587-sh...-daughter.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMe View Post

I miss the story I might re-read them, but I was wondering if there any other authors out there like him?

Thanks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
LittleMe
LittleMe began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch. Would like a Kindle 2.
Yes I gave read Terry Brooks and I do enjoy them too.

Quote:
Depends how gritty and adult you want to go with your fantasy series. George R R Martin, Steven Erikson, Joe Abercrombie are a bit more "grown up".
I really like David Eddings humor so not to sure I want to go to gritty, but I will check it out anyway, thank you.

Thank you everyone else for the suggestions I will check out all the authors
LittleMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Yes I gave read Terry Brooks and I do enjoy them too.

I really like David Eddings humor so not to sure I want to go to gritty, but I will check it out anyway, thank you.

Thank you everyone else for the suggestions I will check out all the authors

And there is always Anne McCaffrey ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd put Raymond Feist as the closest in writing style and general "content" to Eddings.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
Quote:

Thanks.
Try Literature-Map here: http://www.literature-map.com/
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainphart View Post
Try Literature-Map here: http://www.literature-map.com/
Tom Clancy, Stephen King, Clive Barker, and some more have nothing at all in common with David Eddings. So how the heck are they in the swarm?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Tom Clancy, Stephen King, Clive Barker, and some more have nothing at all in common with David Eddings. So how the heck are they in the swarm?
Heaven only knows. How that site works out its "suggestions" beats me. It's pretty "wacko" in my experience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #13
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Pure guess, but they're all bestselling authors, and they might just go by the number of people who have bought books by both, e.g., on Amazon. There's bound to be a lot of overlap there, just in virtue of the number of books they all sell.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've always had better luck finding similar authors using Fantastic Fiction's "Visitors to this page also looked at these authors" feature than something like Literature Map.

Fantastic Fiction lists these authors on Eddings' page...

Raymond E Feist
Terry Brooks
Robert Jordan
Terry Goodkind
Robin Hobb
David Gemmell
Leigh Eddings
George R R Martin
Anne McCaffrey
Mercedes Lackey
Christopher Paolini
R A Salvatore
Jim Butcher
Terry Pratchett
Steven Erikson
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Dave Duncan (A Man of his Word series) is pretty similar I found. Also you might want to try Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote