Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #46
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I got an Asus Vivotab Note 8 at the beginning of the year and was quite pleased w/ it until it developed digitizer problems.

Currently putting a Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 through its paces and trying to decide if I'll finish setting it up and keep it, or return it.

Pros:
- better compromise on screensize for my usages
- light and portable, even in its keyboard case
- full Windows 8 (but tons of additional Toshiba software)
- GPS (lack of that kept me from a Surface 3)
- new Wacom AES pen tracks perfectly, even at the edges. Lags a bit on fast moves, but catches up nicely --- pen is light enough, nice quality aluminum cylinder (wish the balance of the device projected the same professionalism and Bauhaus perfection)

Cons:
- mediocre build quality w/ lots of plastic --- the unapologetic black housing of the AVTN8 and its rubberized back felt nicer and seemed to hold up better
- screen not exceptionally bright, not daylight viewable
- keyboard case is held together w/ magnets when in use, only truly suitable for flat stable surfaces --- the tablet is not secured when it's in use, not even by the plastic tabs which hold the tablet in place when closed
- keyboard case is brown inside and out --- black, please, w/ a cream or tan interior like my Supcase
- performance doesn't seem quite as crisp as the AVTN8

Still trying to sort out my opinion of the build quality: Can't figure out if I scratched the screen, or if it was a manufacturing defect. Can't decide if the flickering of the screen over the weekend was just a part of the burn-in of the device, or a developing, premature failure of the backlight after scarcely a week.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #47
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I very much doubt there will ever be a mandatory Windows 10 upgrade, and Windows 8.1 will stay in support for many years to come.
Right, there won't be a mandatory Windows 10 update until Windows 8.1 is EOL'd --- that happening to Windows XP is what has me scrambling to find a replacement for my Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121 (see post above).

Not looking forward to repeating the process on the Toshiba in 2023.

(Yes, I do use my machines for over a decade when possible)
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #48
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
I've just seen my next tablet. The ZenPad S 8.0 was just announced at Computex. Pricing and release date has not been announced yet but I wants it! I wants it!

8.0 screen with 324 ppi
4:3 aspect ratio
4GB of RAM
64-bit processor
optional pen
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #49
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
The Galaxy S2 is due to be released this month. It looks like Samsung is going to take the IPad and Mini head on. 4:3 aspect ratio etc.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #50
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Thanks for the link Apesmom , I really like this one too. ZenPad S 8.0
Looks like the 8 inch tablets are a popular size now. I really like that size too.

Jabby I'm looking forward to seeing the Galaxy S2 also.

Looks like some really nice tablets are coming out now.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #51
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
The Galaxy S2 is due to be released this month. It looks like Samsung is going to take the IPad and Mini head on. 4:3 aspect ratio etc.
The 4:3 is why I bought the Tab S now.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #52
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Right, there won't be a mandatory Windows 10 update until Windows 8.1 is EOL'd --- that happening to Windows XP is what has me scrambling to find a replacement for my Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121 (see post above).

Not looking forward to repeating the process on the Toshiba in 2023.

(Yes, I do use my machines for over a decade when possible)
I don't know I've already got an annoying nag on my 8.1 machine for windows 10 and it really seems like they really want to push it hard on everyone I wouldn't be suprised if the machines just updated themselves without permission it actually now happens like that on some phones with no way to disable it.

I've read some reports that suggest the first year is free and then Windows 10 is going to be subscription based OS which will pretty much guarantee I never buy another windows machine of any type.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #53
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A version of the Asus Zenpad S 8.0 is now available at Best Buy for $199!

This is the Z580C version which appears to be a pared down version of the Z580CA beast.

The Best Buy version doesn't have pen support, it has Micro USB instead of Type-C, it has a slower processor, the cameras are not as good and it weighs 19 grams more.

However it does have a 1536 x 2048 (320 ppi) display which in my opinion is the most important feature on a tablet to be used as a reader. $199 appears to be a decent price for these specs.

It looks like the higher end version will be going for $299 but it's not available yet. B&H does have a product page for it.

Last edited by apesmom; 07-12-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #54
reise
Enthusiast
reise can program the VCR without an owner's manual.reise can program the VCR without an owner's manual.reise can program the VCR without an owner's manual.reise can program the VCR without an owner's manual.reise can program the VCR without an owner's manual.reise can program the VCR without an owner's manual.reise can program the VCR without an owner's manual.reise can program the VCR without an owner's manual.reise can program the VCR without an owner's manual.reise can program the VCR without an owner's manual.reise can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle HDX 7, Dell Venue 8 7840, Ipad Air
I think the next tablet for me might be the Dell Venue 7840. apesmom did you return yours?
reise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:16 PM   #55
apesmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by reise View Post
I think the next tablet for me might be the Dell Venue 7840. apesmom did you return yours?
If this is the Venue 8 7000 series you're referring to, then I never bought it. I got my hands on one at Best Buy. While the screen is gorgeous the unit has very sharp edges so I couldn't imagine holding it comfortably for long periods of reading.

I now have my sights set on the beefier version of the Asus Zenpad S 8.0 which is supposed to be available mid August. The pared down version is already available at Best Buy for $199.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #56
minnieminx
minnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo touch ereader
Hi i have a asus fonepad 7 inch and it is brilliant, it is a phone and a tablet built in one so i only need to take one device with me instead of two. it also has a front and rear camera, i have my kindle app, moonreader, my library apps and i even use it via bluetooth with my pc to put my books on it so no need for cables
minnieminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #57
apesmom
Wizard

Well I just had my hands on the new Galaxy Tab S2. Screen is gorgeous! Super thin and lite. Nice build quality (I prefer lighter plastic to metal case). The only thing is I intensely dislike is the Samsung hardware home buttons. I was trying to hold out for the Asus Zenpad S 8 (Z580CA) but it hasn't made an appearance in stores yet.

Best Buy has a deal going on now that if you trade in any working tablet you get $50 (minimum) BB gift card and a $50 coupon off the S2. So I traded in my first generation Asus Transformer.

Working on talking myself into this one. . .
Old 09-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #58
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
Well I just had my hands on the new Galaxy Tab S2. Screen is gorgeous! Super thin and lite. Nice build quality (I prefer lighter plastic to metal case). The only thing is I intensely dislike is the Samsung hardware home buttons. I was trying to hold out for the Asus Zenpad S 8 (Z580CA) but it hasn't made an appearance in stores yet.

Best Buy has a deal going on now that if you trade in any working tablet you get $50 (minimum) BB gift card and a $50 coupon off the S2. So I traded in my first generation Asus Transformer.

Working on talking myself into this one. . .
Actually, the "trade-in" is a bit misleading. For kicks, I had went to check what I can get for my trade-in for the S2, the web page stated that my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 was worth $4.00. B&N will get me a 10% off ($40) for the B&N Nook S2 version; don't know what the changes for B&N made tho.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #59
apesmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Actually, the "trade-in" is a bit misleading. For kicks, I had went to check what I can get for my trade-in for the S2, the web page stated that my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 was worth $4.00. B&N will get me a 10% off ($40) for the B&N Nook S2 version; don't know what the changes for B&N made tho.
When I took mine in I had to specify the Samsung deal. Otherwise they would have given me $10 cash. Also if I remember the terms correctly, nook tablets are not eligible. .
Old 09-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #60
apesmom
Wizard

So I caved and bought the S2 8.0. So far I'm loving it. The screen is gorgeous and it's ridiculously thin and light. The edges are a little sharper than I would like but I noticed the same thing on the Zenpad S 8.0. So far I haven't had any difficulty holding it to read.

Yes there are black bands when watching some videos, if this is the type of thing that might annoy you I would suggest getting the black model instead of the white or gold as they are less apparent.

The fingerprint scanner works suprisingly well.

I haven't spent enough time on it yet to get a sense of battery life. Touch Wiz is not annoying me yet but I'm still not a fan of the hardware home button.