Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 04:56 AM   #1
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Calibre keeps saying database of books is corrupted. Media.xml file

I use the Unicode Patch. I've had huge problems with having it work sometimes and not having it work sometimes. Sometimes when I reset and reinstall the hack it works fine with calibre. I had finally gotten it to be perfect, when I had to go mess with it again because I had read that battery life is poor if you use the memory of SD card. So I tried saving things to the internal memory of 505 from Calibre.

That messed things up. I started getting "database of books is corrupted." Try the following: unplug, wait for it to finish regenerating the database .. or delete media.xml

I eventually had to reset and try again. In the meanwhile I used chkdsk g: /f on both my sd card (with appropriate drive letter) and sony reader drive to clear some corrupted files. Now it says no problem.

I am however, still having trouble with calibre. I can save things to my SD card if I do it by using save to disk options and my reader functions fine. But things like collections don't work. I want to be able to use calibre directly.

I've repeated the process multiple times in hopes that this time it will be fixed. I'm at my wit's end and very upset at myself for having messed with something that had been working previously. Any advice? Please! Thank you.

ETA: I wanted to add that I had this problem previously. Previously what seemed to fix it was getting rid of a new folder under C:\Program Files\Sony\ that I had created to store Old Fonts.

I have not changed anything since the new problem. I even went back and restored the old fonts before applying the Unicode Patch and then changing it to the new fonts. Or without doing such a thing. No go.

Last edited by seajewel; 06-26-2008 at 05:09 AM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe it just needed time. There had been a media.xml file that I would try deleting and etc. before. Last night I just let it go and went to sleep finally, and this morning it connects to Calibre fine. I guess it just takes a long time to 'Regenerate" the media.xml file or the database. Sorry about the noob questions!

**EDITED TO ADD: How would I know when the media.xml file has been regenerated? Is it just trial and error, plug it in, turn on calibre, if it errors, rinse and repeat? Is there some way of knowing? It isn't just when there is a media.xml file from what I've noticed.

NOW that it works, I of course want to fiddle with it again. Do you think if time solves this problem, that if I saved things to the device itself instead of using an SD card at all (To save battery life) the reader would be okay? I'd been using SD card because of what it says in the Unicode Font patch first page, but I'm confused now as to whether there is a real issue or whether it just takes time for calibre and the Reader to set itself aright. Or whether that is a totally different issue altogether.

Last edited by seajewel; 06-26-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Advert
Old 06-28-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
seajewel
Fanatic

in case anyone else has this problem.. i noticed that media.xml only creates after i turn ebook library on (with sony reader connected) once i delete it per calibre's instructions.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
siulayhumga
Connoisseur
siulayhumga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Anyone have any update on this? I ran into the same problem and finally gave up on Calibre.
siulayhumga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
ovm
ovm began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
My device is PRS-600. I received this error and did what the dialog box suggests several times and the error still pops up. The calibre is unusable for me as it is. Any other ideas?
ovm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I also get this quite a bit. Deleting the media.xml does not fix it for me. I have to reset the device each time. I probably get this about every 5th time I plug it in.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovm View Post
My device is PRS-600. I received this error and did what the dialog box suggests several times and the error still pops up. The calibre is unusable for me as it is. Any other ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I also get this quite a bit. Deleting the media.xml does not fix it for me. I have to reset the device each time. I probably get this about every 5th time I plug it in.
I would suggest to get beyond this point to remove any external memory, then "format internal memory" via advanced settings (this will clear all books) and finally to send your books back out to your device. At this point I would also recommend that you leave about 40% of your internal memory free. Try this for a time before you add a a freshly formatted SD card back into the mix.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I would suggest to get beyond this point to remove any external memory, then "format internal memory" via advanced settings (this will clear all books) and finally to send your books back out to your device. At this point I would also recommend that you leave about 40% of your internal memory free. Try this for a time before you add a a freshly formatted SD card back into the mix.

Good Luck.
Been there, done that with formatting internal memory. I only use about half of the internal memory so, that's not a factor either.

I do use an external card but it is set to not be scanned.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Been there, done that with formatting internal memory. I only use about half of the internal memory so, that's not a factor either.

I do use an external card but it is set to not be scanned.
Are you using PRSplus? If so, you should still try using your device without the SD card. I started using PRSplus with a SD card and noscan but I encountered an error in Calibre. I don't remember the error. I assumed it was my fault and didn't want to troubleshoot it so I decided to save on battery usage and just removed the SD card. I re-enabled scan on the off chance I might put a SD card back in sometime in the future and never ran into the error again.

The point is since this error is not prevalent among other 505 users the error is being caused by something within your setup, computer or 505.

I wish you luck resolving this problem.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote