Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Batterylicious

I was normally getting about 1 week of battery, "turning off" the device between readings by sliding the power switch.

Recently I started doing a full shutdown from the Advanced Settings menu, and now the battery lasts approximately forever. It's been 10 days and it's still at 4 bars of power.

Is there are a shortcut method of shutting down the device? Going through the Advanced Settings menu is a lot of button pressing.
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Me too, I usually only "read" twice a day (during my commute to and from work) and it sits there draining power in my rucksack the rest of the time.

While suspend is nice with it's minimal boot time It would be nice to have the option of of it doing a full-shutdown instead.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think a week on a charge is plenty, my cell phone doesn't even make it that long.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'm getting about two weeks on a charge by just doing a suspend and I typically leave it on when I'm done reading and just let it switch off automatically at the one hour point. Agree that the total shut down would be preferable were it not for all the button pushing.

Mind you, one or two weeks on a charge ain't bad.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
I'd rather have the fast startup than infinite power. I mostly just read in bed, and the charger plug is on my nightstand. If I notice the power is getting low I just plug it in. I take it on trips too, and the single charge is more than enough for a week trip.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're right europas_ice. I think the thing to do is, as you say, travel with the charger and use the suspend feature so you have fast startups. And, should you forget the charger, you can always switch to the complete shut-down mode.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I simply use the standby switch, and charge it up once every 3 weeks. That's with 1-2 hours of use daily.

(The key is that I'm not using any external memory cards.)
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgharold View Post
I simply use the standby switch, and charge it up once every 3 weeks. That's with 1-2 hours of use daily.

(The key is that I'm not using any external memory cards.)
I have the same behavior but I do use the SD card. I've never had to charge it fully, except for when I plugged it into my Macbook, turned off the Macbook and left the Reader connected. That seems to drain the battery almost completely.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I have the same behavior but I do use the SD card. I've never had to charge it fully, except for when I plugged it into my Macbook, turned off the Macbook and left the Reader connected. That seems to drain the battery almost completely.
You get about 3 weeks with an SD card? I find that amazing. I get about 2 weeks with daily use, and only 3-5 days when I've had an SD card plugged in. I can't imagine getting the "full" battery life with a power-draining SD card inserted.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
You get about 3 weeks with an SD card? I find that amazing. I get about 2 weeks with daily use, and only 3-5 days when I've had an SD card plugged in. I can't imagine getting the "full" battery life with a power-draining SD card inserted.
I get 3-4 weeks with an SD card and every-other-day use. I've seen suggestions in earlier threads that power usage by various makes of SD cards varies widely. Your mileage may vary, and all that...

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Wow. I definitely have a power hog then. I think it's a Kingston.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

I'm getting about two weeks with an SD card I bought at Staples. Mind you I haven't been reading anything off it. I've classics stored on it and am reading mostly sleazy detective novels off the 505 internal memory.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Oh, I could see that THAT might make the difference. I have an SD card in mine, but I now realize that the book I'm reading is on internal memory and not the SD card. Maybe if you read off of the SD card the battery gets used up faster.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:03 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Wow. I definitely have a power hog then. I think it's a Kingston.
The more "recognized" brands (SanDisk, Lexar, etc.) seem to do better in that regard. Some of the really off-brands won't even talk to the 500, but the 505 seems to do better with them. I've pretty well settled on SanDisk as my personal brand for such things, though my camera card is an ATP.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #15
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Mine is a SanDisk and that may explain why it both works fine and doesn't seem like too much of a power hog.