Notices

Old 04-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Cybook supports SDHC card?

Hello personnel,

I will receive my cybook at the beginning month of May. After several search (cybook vs iliad).

I would like to know whether the Cybook supports SDHC card?
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Hello personnel,

I will receive my cybook at the beginning month of May. After several search (cybook vs iliad).

I would like to know whether the Cybook supports SDHC card?
First,

This is not the Bookeen website, so any answer here will most probably be made by other owners of the Cybook.

Second, the short answer is NO. You want a basic SD card of 2 gigabytes capacity (or smaller, I use 1GB cards with no problem) for your Cybook.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
junior
Connoisseur

Hi Derek.

First, I know that this is not the site of bookeen.

Second, I have a Palm TX that does not support SDHC card. When bought the TX bought also a 4gb SDHC card, but I am not using. I thought that the Cybook, to be modern, support SDHC card.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Derek.

First, I know that this is not the site of bookeen.

Second, I have a Palm TX that does not support SDHC card. When bought the TX bought also a 4gb SDHC card, but I am not using. I thought that the Cybook, to be modern, support SDHC card.
Nope. They're pretty clear that the Cybook only supports 2gb in the literature on their site. And if it supported SDHC instead of SD, I'm sure they would have noted that.

Derek
Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Nope. They're pretty clear that the Cybook only supports 2gb in the literature on their site. And if it supported SDHC instead of SD, I'm sure they would have noted that.

Derek
However it could possible be supported by a firmware update. The only difference in the file system on the card. The hard ware/interface is the same.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
However it could possible be supported by a firmware update. The only difference in the file system on the card. The hard ware/interface is the same.
Nope, it's the SD protocol which is changed in SDHC (different addressing system). It might be possible depending on how the card slot is connected. If they used the built-in controller of the CPU or used a separate non-SDHC controller, then firmware upgrade to SDHC will likely be impossible.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Nope, it's the SD protocol which is changed in SDHC (different addressing system). It might be possible depending on how the card slot is connected. If they used the built-in controller of the CPU or used a separate non-SDHC controller, then firmware upgrade to SDHC will likely be impossible.
If they used the built-in SD controller of the S3C2410, there are hints it should be SDHC-capable:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo197...e#microSD-Card

The Neo1973 uses the same S3C2410 as the Cybook.

However, the Samsung tech brief for it (http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...artnum=S3C2410) only mentions 'SD Host interface version 1.0', which isn't promising...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
junior
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
That what I thought.

For the Cybook supports SDCH card, we need an update of firmware? Or upgrade your hardware?

Well, but a 1Gb SD card is good size (for my use).

Because the Bookeen add support for 4gb cards if the cybook no contains search engine? I believe it is complicated manage more than 200 ebooks.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
That what I thought.

For the Cybook supports SDCH card, we need an update of firmware? Or upgrade your hardware?

Well, but a 1Gb SD card is good size (for my use).

Because the Bookeen add support for 4gb cards if the cybook no contains search engine? I believe it is complicated manage more than 200 ebooks.

Well, you'd probably have to upgrade both. And that would be much more expensive than just buying a new unit with the upgraded feature set.

And I agree that searching through several hundred ebooks for the next one you want to read is difficult at this time.

Derek