Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #106
mabelsound
mabelsound began at the beginning.

Device: non
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@mabelsound: You're probably using the stable KUAL version. Switch to a snapshot.
Thank you, I will try it!
mabelsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #107
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Observation: I went into conf.d , deleted bci override, restarted. Oops, that gave me an immediate reboot when plugged into USB.

Checked with kindleexplorer, and yes, the bci override file was automatically put back in config.d

So, kual > fonts > freetype override > Amazon (default). Did a full restart from Settings menu for good measure. Now everything's good in the neighborhood.

I can't right now but when I have time I'll check to see if it's just bci or other hinting also causes problems.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #108
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Barty: So far, the data would point to any FT override (meaning everything except the default, Amazon), but I'm open to any kind of experiment ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #109
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
That appears to be true (any FT Override except Amazon) but I still was not getting the reboot unless I had a book open just now when I tried it again. Did not reboot even with "light hinting" unless I had a book open and did not reboot with a book open with Amazon hinting There may be something else at play but so far that's the only consistency I've seen.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #110
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just updated the snapshots, with a few tweaks which (hopefully) should help.

If you're currently using an FT override and/or suffering from those USBMS reboots, try the latest snapshot build and see if it helps .
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #111
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Excellent! Works for me! Used autohint once and BCI two times and got no reboot. Did have a book open just to be sure. Thanks very much!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #112
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Confirmed here. No reboot with either bci, auto, or light hinting on new snapshot.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #113
mabelsound

OK, I've installed from the snapshots and followed the instructions, but the fonts I put into linkfonts/fonts aren't being recognized. I've updated the cache and repopulated the menu several times, but the "custom" menu shows nothing. What could I be doing wrong? They've all been converted to ttf...

thanks
J
Old 12-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #114
Barty
doofus

@mabelsound did you install python?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #115
mabelsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
@mabelsound did you install python?
Yes, I did. Although Amazon went and updated my OS automatically the other day--would that have negated the Python install? The folders are still on there, but perhaps I need to reinstall.

EDIT: Alas, that didn't work either...

Last edited by mabelsound; 12-12-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #116
jscris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Alas, that didn't work either...
As I recall, it sometimes would take more than one restart to get the fonts to show in the custom menu. Just a thought.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #117
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
@mabelsound: If I remember correctly, Python has to be installed before the fonts hack, not after. You may need to reinstall the font hack.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #118
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mabelsound: The update probably broke the Fonts hack, more than Python. Reinstall the Fonts hack, and try again.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #119
mabelsound

Thanks, everyone!
Old 12-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #120
mabelsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
As I recall, it sometimes would take more than one restart to get the fonts to show in the custom menu. Just a thought.
Lo and behold, this was the problem! It need one...more...restart. The fonts appeared and are working great. Thanks again!

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch