Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
Jojoaction
Jojoaction began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
Cant read some pdfs on Boox M92

Hi,
i am new here, so I am not sure if my problem has to do with my rare knowledge about the reader, but i tried some things and I couldnt fix it.
I have a problem with some pdfs. They are not displayed (so you see only the pagenumbers and the headlines but not any of the text) until you change the Lettersize in 110%. But then they are uncomfortable to read. The crazy thing is there a several of the same kind i would like to use and some of them are working but the most not. Anyone with same problems or a solution?
Jojoaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoaction View Post
Hi,
i am new here, so I am not sure if my problem has to do with my rare knowledge about the reader, but i tried some things and I couldnt fix it.
I have a problem with some pdfs. They are not displayed (so you see only the pagenumbers and the headlines but not any of the text) until you change the Lettersize in 110%. But then they are uncomfortable to read. The crazy thing is there a several of the same kind i would like to use and some of them are working but the most not. Anyone with same problems or a solution?
Hi,

there are some PDF document of somehow complex structure, which are currently not entirely supported by PDF Reader. E.g. many of those from http://archive.org.
Some work is still needed to figure out how to fix that problem.
Some users suggest to convert those PDFs to DjVU. Some - to rework them to other PDFs.
If you place here a link to one of your affected PDFs we can test it and tell you what could be done.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Jojoaction

Hi,

thanks for your quick answer, here is one of the files, its password protected, the password is unirep2012ms
Attached Files
File Type: pdf eSkriptOL-AllgVerwRVerwProzessRWS1213-121008VRcl.pdf (4.30 MB, 181 views)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
Mikeread
Passionate Reader
Mikeread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Jojoaction,
Have you tried renaming the file???
Mikeread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoaction View Post
Hi,

thanks for your quick answer, here is one of the files, its password protected, the password is unirep2012ms
In this particular document the security settings of that document are preventing of reading of the content on M92. You can print it in a new pdf (e.g. with help of doPDF)
You will lose hyperlinks in the document (TOC) but you will be able to read and to annotate it.

Last edited by Booxtor; 11-30-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
Jojoaction

thanks for the help. i will try to make a new pdf. can you tell me which security settings has been set. maybe the author of the pdf can change them. Thanks again for your quick help!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:59 AM   #7
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
Open your document on a "regular" PC (or MAC) using a "regular" Adobe Reader.
Then open the menu item "Document" -> "Security" -> "Show Security Properties" (and then, in the "Document Properties" window with the "Security" settings that will appear, you can also click "Show Details...", if you like -> note that "Booxtor" gave you the screenshot of this window in German -> just click the given web link).

Well, the real question now is ... exactly which setting(s) create(s) this problem (I don't know, sorry). I doubt the original author will agree to change all settings, but you might be able to convince him to change some of them, you just need to know precisely which of them should be changed.
The reply to this question might be of general interest ... sooner or later everyone will meet a pdf file which one will not be able to open, so it would be nice to have a "comprehensive" list of "harmful" pdf settings.

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 12-01-2012 at 05:06 AM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I am not sure, but I guess it might be Changing of document and/or Adding comments and/or Reflow, but maybe something other...

We could experiment, or Booxtor might tell us.

For given pdf probably easier way is to print it to pdf virtual printer. Only TOC links will be lost. I do not know, how much it matters....
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
Note that there's also a security setting which prevents printing.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Yes, I know. But not in this file...

Printing is permited in high quality. And just to be sure, I tried to print the file to pdf (using Bullzip PDF printer) and it worked OK.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Jojoaction

Hi,

thanks a lot for you help. I tried the printing and it worked, but as said before the TOC is lost, which is not helpful for working with such big pdfs.
I did not get which settings the creators of this pdfs used so I cant read it. I know they do not have any interest in this. Can somebody tell me what they have to change?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Mono
Mono

Only Booxtor knows...

Or you have to experiment with security settings in some pdf creator to find out which one matters. Or combination of which settings matters... Create pdf with certain security settings and try it in M92. And so on with different settings...

Or you may look at security settings of protected files that are not causing problems (and compare it with settings in file discussed) and narrow down possible troublesome candidates in settings.

I suppose the teacher would happily change the settings, if not any other reason, avoiding to force students to use the backdoor to the text... But I wouldn't tell him, there is such a backdoor. Next time he might create a file without permision to print. :-(

Last edited by Mono; 12-03-2012 at 12:27 PM.