Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #46
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I agree. When I looked online though, the SGII was $300-$350 which is a larger price difference. Perhaps I looked at the wrong model, or you got a great deal? Whatever, I have purchased the SGP5 and look forward to using it.

I am also thinking about the KFHD for home browsing and media playback. I played with one for a few weeks (setting it up for a friend) and it was amazing, although somewhat less useful in Europe.

You have really informative posts - I am struggling over whether I am wasting money buying both devices. I envision the SGP5 as a go-to device that I carry in my pocketbook, while the KFHF would be the home/weekend-house device for web, movies and reading in dimmer (not dark) light. Do you think (based on your devices) that there is enough of a difference to warrant the expense?

I could wait and test it out for myself, but your opinion would be appreciated. Do you read on the KFHD?
Thanks for the kind words.

It is very odd. The price for the SGP5 at the local Best Buy here waivers every week. Regular price $219. Then down to $199. Then up to $209. Then down to $189. Then back up to $219... and so on. Each and every week the price changes.

$200 being the average price. I bought a brand new Galaxy SII Skyrocket for $220. The no-contract SII (not the Skyrocket) can be purchased at Walmart for $250-$300 (depending upon the prepaid carrier... which is irrelevant if you plan on using it strictly as a media player)

I believe that there are 3 different Galaxy SII smartphone models, the SII (no suffix name) being the most expensive. That could help to explain the price difference between the SII and SGP5 that you're seeing.

The SGP5 certainly makes an excellent on-the-go device. Keep it lean, clean, and mean (ie. install only apps that you will use regularly) and it should be fine.

As for using the KFHD at home, I believe that you'll need to consider if you will use it primarily/exclusively with Amazon content. If so, then it is a no-brainer, it is a must-buy.

But, if you plan on using content from various sources, then you'll need to consider whether or not you'd want to "root" the device. (rooting is basically unlocking the operating system so that you have administrator privileges that allow you full access to the device)

From a strictly technical perspective, you don't need to "root" the device to consume media from non-Amazon sources, but it certainly makes thing easier. At this point in time, there are 3 basic ways of using a KFHD:

1) Pure stock. This is using it out-of-the-box, the Amazon UI with carousel. Extremely limited personal customizations. (assign favorites, delete stuff from carousel) Sideloaded videos will NOT appear in the Videos tab. Sideloaded books will only appear in the Books tab if they are in mobi format.

2) Hybrid mode. Installing an alternative launcher, like ADW Launcher EX. This does NOT require rooting the device. You can launch ADW and have a typical Android tablet experience but still have the Amazon UI available. The only limitation with this approach is that if you are using ADW and press the "home" icon, it displays the Amazon UI, not ADW. Can arrange icons, widgets, and wallpaper on the homescreen.

I used my KFHD in this mode for a few months... pretty enjoyable.

3) Customized Stock OS. This requires rooting the device. Once rooted, you can fully install an alternate launcher (GO Launcher EX is popular), install Google Play, Chrome browser, as well as the other Google services apps. With Google Play, you have access to the "official" Android appstore. The underlying operating system is still the stock Android-based OS that Amazon shipped the device with... this just adds stuff on top of it. The benefit of this approach is that this version of Android is optimized for the KFHD hardware so battery life, video and audio performance, etc. are unaffected.

I recently rooted my KFHD and absolutely love it in this mode. The stock Amazon UI is still available but it is no longer the default UI (though I can set it to that if I were so inclined)

At some point in the future, there will be a 4th option of completely custom firmware.

If you, or someone you know, is technically inclined and can root the KFHD and add those basic packages to it, then I'd have no hesitation on recommending it as an addition to the SGP5. Without rooting/customizing, I'd say that it is highly subjective... and based on what an individual's use will be.

As for reading. Yes I use the KFHD for reading. I primarily use it to read scans of vintage magazines, comics, and catalogs. With the official "smart cover" (or whatever Amazon calls it) it is well protected, easy to hold when reading, and easy to stand on a flat surface for watching videos.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #47
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

The SGP5 certainly makes an excellent on-the-go device. Keep it lean, clean, and mean (ie. install only apps that you will use regularly) and it should be fine.
But, if you plan on using content from various sources, then you'll need to consider whether or not you'd want to "root" the device. (rooting is basically unlocking the operating system so that you have administrator privileges that allow you full access to the device)
From a strictly technical perspective, you don't need to "root" the device to consume media from non-Amazon sources, but it certainly makes thing easier. At this point in time, there are 3 basic ways of using a KFHD:

As for reading. Yes I use the KFHD for reading. I primarily use it to read scans of vintage magazines, comics, and catalogs. With the official "smart cover" (or whatever Amazon calls it) it is well protected, easy to hold when reading, and easy to stand on a flat surface for watching videos.
Thanks! Your info is very helpful. I'll do that with the SGP5 - but the temptation is there to load all the fun Google play apps! I was only going to spend $99 on the SGP3.6 when it went on sale, as the lowest cost-point for a Google Play store device. But I splurged to $170 for the SGP5. Really glad I did! Should be useful and fun. Wish the camera had more punch though.

I have a fair amount of Amazon content(books), but since I am mostly in Europe, I can't buy/watch videos, magazines, etc from Amazon. No matter, I am waffling but probably will buy it. Haven't thought about rooting it. Perhaps, when I see that it will add a feature/function that I want.

I just loved the screen/speaker when I played with one for a few weeks. Nothing else I've seen compares. I don't play games (just cards), and will be happy with stock + 5-6 utility apps that I know will run(MX Player, GSam Battery, an epub reader, Pandora..). The UI will be a bit contrived to get to side-loaded content, perhaps ADW launcher will help. I'll try it. Did you get it from the Amazon app store?

I don't mind a bit of inconvenience - as long as everything works! It's a great deal at $200 + case (I'd get a cheaper one!) + adapter. See, I've already talked myself into it - wasn't too hard.

Thanks again for the explanation and advice!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert