Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
code88
code88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Good time to get Kindle DX?

I hope that Amazon will announce new Kindle DX today unfortunately they not. I hear lots of down side about Kindle DX but I don't want to wait so long. I'm not sure is it a good time to get DX or just waiting few months for next version, please suggest
code88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by code88 View Post
I hope that Amazon will announce new Kindle DX today unfortunately they not. I hear lots of down side about Kindle DX but I don't want to wait so long. I'm not sure is it a good time to get DX or just waiting few months for next version, please suggest
I'm just guessing here, but I suspect the DX line is not going to get any new hardware updates. I suspect it will soon become a discontinued line otherwise we would have heard something by now.
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Still listed for $379??? That's the price of a 10" tablet. With the new prices it's practically $300 more than a 6" Kindle. Ridiculous. Yes, I'm aware it comes with 3G. Still.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
Abqpete
Abqpete began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950, Kindle DXG, Voyage, Oasis
I agree with jswinden. If you go to any of the new Kindle product pages on Amazon, you'll notice that the product bar on the top only shows the 6-inch Kindles (new and old) and the Fire. Only when you scroll down to the comparison section do you see the DX still listed. I'm afraid that the DX did not do well enough to earn further development from Amazon...

Regards, Peter
Abqpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
mr_clark
mr_clark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Damn. Got my DX on Ebay last weekend. Loving it. I would never want to go back to the 6" screen. I think if they could get the price down to <$300 new then they'd do a lot better with it.
mr_clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clark View Post
Damn. Got my DX on Ebay last weekend. Loving it. I would never want to go back to the 6" screen. I think if they could get the price down to <$300 new then they'd do a lot better with it.
I was hoping for a DX Touch.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
jessejhein
jessejhein began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX G
So was I. I'm probably going to end up with a Kindle Touch KSO both so I have something portable and so I can finally get in on the KSO offers, but I'm depressed that no DX Touch was announced, and as was said it looks like the DX line is dying. And nothing else good on the market to read PDFs with. I'm sorry, a 6" or 7" screen won't work, no matter how good the PDF controls are. And a tablet isn't e-ink. I hope someone steps in to fill this niche.

*EDIT* for spelling.
jessejhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm just guessing here, but I suspect the DX line is not going to get any new hardware updates. I suspect it will soon become a discontinued line otherwise we would have heard something by now.
Copy that.

It's a pity but Amazon abandoned DX long time ago. I suppose it will be replaced by the 10" tablet.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
I've had a DXG for over 12 months now and still love it. My wife's K3 (3g/wifi) is also very good but I still enjoy reading books on the larger DXG screen and am very happy that I paid the ~$200 extra for it ($200 long forgotten now). Also, my DXG does a very good job on most pdf's (mainly technical manuals).

The DXG 3G browser is basic but works great for buying books and checking local news/sports/weather. I've used it a few times overseas and it worked fine. Best of all, it's free.

Like most DXG users, I'm a little disappointed that Amazon has failed to upgrade it's software, a bit more K3-like. However, I really cannot complain since it really does work fine as-is.

I hope that Amazon continues supplying/developing 9.7" (or larger) e-ink screens. If they don't then I'm sure that others will do so.

So, my vote, if you want a large-screen E-ink reader, is to just bite the bullet and buy a DXG. I'm glad I did and would do so again.

Cheers,
TomC
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
jessejhein

I love my DXG. I accidentally broke it (on the first day of a camping trip! Nothing to read the whole time!) and my wife laughed that I headed immediately for the phone and talked to customer service about a new one.

Despite that, I have a wish list for a newer vision:
1. Better PDF support. K3 level would be nice. Bookmarks and Table of Contents would be better.
2. Touch. I was *really* hoping for this one. I don't use the keyboard that often, and when I do it's a pain. A bigger pain is using the little joystick to select a link or word in a book. How much better would it be to just use my finger to point to the place I want on the big beautiful screen? Not to mention lighter and smaller not having to drag that stupid keyboard around.
3. WiFi. Especially as Amazon gives WiFi privileges for free book delivery and library books. Not to mention if I should not be in range of their cell towers.
4. SD Slot. I'm dreaming here. The WiFi thing should solve this but really? No slot in this day and age? (Actually, I can kinda see why, but I'm still annoyed by it.) Still, I've lived without it this long more easily then I would have expected.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

I always thought it was strange that the DXG was released about two months before the K3, but the DXG is basically on the same firmware level as the K2. I bought a DXG when they first came out, then got the K3. The DXG is good, but I couldn't justify the huge price premium so i sent it back.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
jessejhein

I agree. But I need something that will read PDFs. I read too many of them, and the 6" display on my old Sony was driving me nuts. Then I wouldn't use it, but my laptop. And then my wife would complain I never used any of her presents. She hasn't said that about the DXG, which I promised to use for real this time. And I've kept that promise. (Wasn't a challenge.)

Anyway, there seems to be just enough demand by people like me that I'm sure there will be a 10" e-ink made by *someone*. Although I admit that a sub $200 10" or larger tablet would work too. But only a price like that could entice me from my e-ink.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #13
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejhein View Post
I love my DXG. I accidentally broke it (on the first day of a camping trip! Nothing to read the whole time!) and my wife laughed that I headed immediately for the phone and talked to customer service about a new one.

Despite that, I have a wish list for a newer vision:
1. Better PDF support. K3 level would be nice. Bookmarks and Table of Contents would be better.
2. Touch. I was *really* hoping for this one. I don't use the keyboard that often, and when I do it's a pain. A bigger pain is using the little joystick to select a link or word in a book. How much better would it be to just use my finger to point to the place I want on the big beautiful screen? Not to mention lighter and smaller not having to drag that stupid keyboard around.
3. WiFi. Especially as Amazon gives WiFi privileges for free book delivery and library books. Not to mention if I should not be in range of their cell towers.
4. SD Slot. I'm dreaming here. The WiFi thing should solve this but really? No slot in this day and age? (Actually, I can kinda see why, but I'm still annoyed by it.) Still, I've lived without it this long more easily then I would have expected.
absolutely in agreement with your observations. Though i have ipad , i prefer kindle dx for prolong reading, didn't buy DXG as i was waiting for new Dx touch version.today's announcements were disappointing as nothing new has been announced which is not available in the market however there is no proper substitute for Dx in the market.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #14
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
I had a DX (and K2) before my DXG and in my opinion, just the improved pearl screen contrast was worth the upgrade.

While I do not mind prolonged reading on my wife's K3, or even some not too long reading on my iPhone or PC (with Kindle applications), I REALLY prefer a good long read on my DXG. I'm afraid this large-screen E-ink reader has spoilt me for life, lol!

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I had a DX (and K2) I'm afraid this large-screen E-ink reader has spoilt me for life, lol!

Cheers,
Tom
Once you are used to large dx screen there is no going back to smaller 6' screens.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote