Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-26-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
wickedprashant
wickedprashant began at the beginning.

Device: PC
cheap java ebook reader mobile

hello people... i've been reading ebooks on my PC till now in my free time... saving money for buying a nice above 2 MP camera smart phone(which i fear will take some time..)till then i wish to makedo with the lowest most basic mobile phone model that respectably allows ebook reading... i heard there are java applications to read ebooks on java mobile phones... but i dont know which's the lowest(in terms of cost) nokia java model that would support ebooks... please help.. lots of time on the go and nothing to pass time so please advise quick!
wickedprashant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Why not buy a cheap MP4 player? Most of them can display text files. A refurbished Palm is also an economical way to get a good reader. The eBookwise 1150 is only $110 and has a backlit paperback-sized screen.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Hi.

Can't help you with the 'phone, but a few months ago I did what mogui suggests above, and picked up a cheap (£15 UKP) Palm on eBay purely as a 'stop-gap' reader, just to try it out.

Works a treat - within the obvious limitations (small, low-res screen) of course...

Only thing to watch for is to just be sure to pick a model that's recent enough to support your chosen reader software.

HTH

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
Anaksulnamun
Anaksulnamun began at the beginning.

Device: E90
Why not a Nokia e61i phone mate ?
Reasonable price, and great functions "included"
Anaksulnamun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
I have a Nokia E65 with the Mobipocket software on it and it works great.
The screen is very readble, even with a relatively small font size, and there is a great range of free, DRM free and DRM'd books available in Mobipocket format.
OK, not technically a cheap solution (£300 if bought out of contract), but it only cost me £50 as an upgrade and the other features (camera, music player, movie player) are good too.
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert