Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Images in EPUB books

Hello all,

I have been wondering about this thing and can't seem to find an answer:

If I include a JPEG image into my EPUB book, how is it processed by ebook readers? DO they scale the image to fit the page or what?

I always tend to resize the images so that the fit 600x800px matrix, but I would love to understand how readers process the images in EPUB files.

Thanks in advance!
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
They obey the CSS styles. If there is no width/height specified, I guess most default to the "natural" size: 1 image-pixel = 1 screen-pixel. Some readers may allow zooming an image, but most don't, and just crop the image if it doesn't fit the screen.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Is it safe to presume all e-ink readers are about 600x800 in resolution? If I crop the image so that the width or height don't go beyoung the 600x800 resolution...
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post
Is it safe to presume all e-ink readers are about 600x800 in resolution? If I crop the image so that the width or height don't go beyoung the 600x800 resolution...
All e-ink readers I know are at least 600×800, but:

1) There are non-e-ink readers with smaller resolutions (smartphones, PDAs...)

2) Most readers have default margins and headers or status bars that occupy part of the screen (and sometimes cannot be disabled).
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I notice the Kobo just makes the image fit the screen - so if too big it compresses it into small size, Maps suffer with this as they are too small to read. I always check that images are neither too big or at too high resolution as they can slow down devices and create over large documents. This is OK on a computer but might not be appreciated by someone downloading it to their phone. Unless you really need an image at incredible clarity a hi res huge image is a waste of space.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The Hanlin eBook readers all reduce too large images. Small images are shown at 100% at level one zoom and will enlarge as zoom increases although they will not increase too much. If a graphic is being used as a letter for example, it will zoom when the letters zoom. This is ADE implementation. Most ADE implementations behave similarly except Sony as remained with an older version for many (most) of its models.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post
Hello all,

I have been wondering about this thing and can't seem to find an answer:

If I include a JPEG image into my EPUB book, how is it processed by ebook readers? DO they scale the image to fit the page or what?

I always tend to resize the images so that the fit 600x800px matrix, but I would love to understand how readers process the images in EPUB files.

Thanks in advance!
I don't worry about it, I make the cover and any full page image 600x860
(And a separate Kindle cover 600x800 to allow for the kindle conversion.)
Then in the CSS the images are sitting on a .img {max-width: 100%} problem solved.

Although Lately I've been making the height to be 100% instead of the Width...
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
when I asked the IT guy here to check the book on his android phone all images over 450 wide defaulted to a question mark icon. I think I'll take up Adjust's suggestion and fix it in the CSS.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
Coop42
Coop42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, Kindle App, others!
Mark,

Which 'droid based phone was that?
Coop42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop42 View Post
Mark,

Which 'droid based phone was that?
A Nexis One running Android 2.2 the app was Aldiko
Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
Coop42
Coop42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, Kindle App, others!
Thanks.
Coop42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's a bug in that particular reading application; it really should not do that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a bug in that particular reading application; it really should not do that.
So if it's too big should it still be visible and bleed off the screen like I've seen in ADE on the PC.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
So if it's too big should it still be visible and bleed off the screen like I've seen in ADE on the PC.
All the devices I've used will resize the image to fit the screen. That seems a lot more "user friendly", don't you think?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All the devices I've used will resize the image to fit the screen. That seems a lot more "user friendly", don't you think?
As far as I remember, the Cybook Gen3 doesn't.