Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #46
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Very nice. It coped well with an SVG graphic as title page.

However, relying on the toc.ncx for navigation meant that some pages in my sample ePub couldn't be reached.

No other ePub reader that I know about navigates solely in this way. It would be really good to have "next" and "previous" buttons that navigated through the file according to the <spine toc="ncx"> section of the content.opf

The sample can be found here: http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/d...-mouse/7867672

(The preview link under that ugly green cover. Lulu have only just started handling ePub, and their cover upload mechanism is broken.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
I would be very happy, if you would try it and give me your feedback.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #47
EPUB
ePub Reader
EPUB began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Just tested the 1.0.5 version with FF 3.5.4 - works great! Thank you, Michael!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #48
josepinto
Connoisseur
josepinto began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5320
Option to redownload epub files?

Hi,

I don´t know if this is feasible or not.

On http://feedbooks.com/news we have the option to download feeds or newspapers (made form multiple feeds) in EPUB format.
After downloading and the newspapers i am subscribed to the file opens correctly in Epubreader.
The problem is, if a day or a week later I want to update that newspaper I have to delete it first from epub-library and then download the file again. Would it be possible to add an option to redownload an ebook in epub-library.
Anyway, I don´t know if this is going to work in the specific case of Feedbooks because maybe one has to be signed in.

Sorry if this is not so clear. Just a tought...

P.s. On the testing side, if I insert a story id in Flag Webservice (http://flag.erayd.net/) and select epub as format the file is correctly downloaded and opened in Epubreader. Flag Webservice is the Fanfiction Lightweight Automated Grabber, that can be used to download stories from Fanfiction.net in several formats.Works like a charm.

José Pinto
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #49
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepinto View Post
Hi,

On http://feedbooks.com/news we have the option to download feeds or newspapers (made form multiple feeds) in EPUB format.
After downloading and the newspapers i am subscribed to the file opens correctly in Epubreader.
The problem is, if a day or a week later I want to update that newspaper I have to delete it first from epub-library and then download the file again. Would it be possible to add an option to redownload an ebook in epub-library.
Anyway, I don´t know if this is going to work in the specific case of Feedbooks because maybe one has to be signed in.
Thanks for your feedback!

In my opinion this case is pretty special. If more people are requesting something like that, I'm thinking about implementing it.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #50
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

New version is available!

I've just uploaded the new version 1.1.0, you can download it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/45281. Please make sure, you get 1.1.0., some pages are not up to date.

Here is what I changed:

- Now it's possible to navigate through the ePub-file using navigation buttons at the bottom. This is the most important and most requested change . The navigation is available for all epub's loaded with version 1.1.0. So please reload epub's which you loaded with previous versions.

- In the navigationbar is now a link to every page in the ePub-file displayed. In previous versions sometimes missed a link.

- The navigationbar can now be toggled at the bottom, using the "+/-" link.

- The author of the ePub-file is now displayed if he is specified in the ePub-file. In previous versions he was sometimes not displayed even though specified in the file.

Hope you like it! Please let me know.

Last edited by mikelv; 11-05-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #51
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Hope you like it! Please let me know.
I like the navigation bar.

Selecting chapter 1 of part 2 in this Tess of the dUrbervilles example, it only shows the chapter number and no text. Text is under a heading "Navpoint 17".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF_EPBREADER_Tess.JPG
Views:	808
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	38585  
Old 11-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #52
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmark View Post

Selecting chapter 1 of part 2 in this Tess of the dUrbervilles example, it only shows the chapter number and no text. Text is under a heading "Navpoint 17".
Could you please post the link to this example? I'd like to check this. Thanks, Michael
Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #53
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Could you please post the link to this example? I'd like to check this. Thanks, Michael
http://www.feedbooks.com/book/2699
Old 11-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #54
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Very nice. It coped well with an SVG graphic as title page.

However, relying on the toc.ncx for navigation meant that some pages in my sample ePub couldn't be reached.

No other ePub reader that I know about navigates solely in this way. It would be really good to have "next" and "previous" buttons that navigated through the file according to the <spine toc="ncx"> section of the content.opf

The sample can be found here: http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/d...-mouse/7867672

(The preview link under that ugly green cover. Lulu have only just started handling ePub, and their cover upload mechanism is broken.)
Thanks for your feedback! Please load the epub again with the new version 1.1.0, should be okay now: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/45281.

If you load it, you will see in the navigationbar links with name "Navpoint*". Here an explanation what this is:

EPUBReader reads the "spine" section of "content.opf" and shows in the navigationbar a link to every entry. Additionally it tries to get a nice text for the link. So it looks with the URL in "spine" in file "toc.ncx" to see if it can find one. If not, "Navpoint*" is displayed. In other words: everytime you see "Navpoint*", no information in "toc.ncx" can be found.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #55
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmark View Post

Okay, I checked it. The pages with only "Chapter *" on it really exist, so EPUBReader can't display something different .

Concerning the logic, how the navigationbar is populated, please check this posting: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=54

I checked the opf and ncx file and the described logic worked fine: Evertime you see "Navpoint", no additional information is found in the ncx file.

So, from my point of view EPUBReader worked well .
Old 11-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #56
kenmark
Addict

Quote:
So, from my point of view EPUBReader worked well .
Ok, thanks.

Last edited by kenmark; 11-05-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Removed error that wasn't an error :o
Old 11-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #57
readx
Connoisseur
readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Sweet Update

Maybe you could update the first post of this thread with the avaliable information.

Keep up the good work
Old 11-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #58
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by readx View Post
Sweet Update

Maybe you could update the first post of this thread with the avaliable information.

Keep up the good work
Thanks! Done !
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #59
josepinto
Connoisseur
josepinto began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5320
Feedbooks newspapers working as needed

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry if this is not so clear. Just a tought...

P.s. On the testing side, if I insert a story id in Flag Webservice (http://flag.erayd.net/) and select epub as format the file is correctly downloaded and opened in Epubreader. Flag Webservice is the Fanfiction Lightweight Automated Grabber, that can be used to download stories from Fanfiction.net in several formats.Works like a charm.

José Pinto
Hi,

The last version does what I want.
On the first page of Feedbooks Newspapers there is a link to update. After updating the new file opens in Epubreader and all that´s left to be done is deleting old files from library.

I have a couple of suggestions /wild ideas:
- Background textures (as in Ybook
- user styles (created using css). user styles could be published in epubreader´s homepage.
- Autoscroll (underline one word at a time at a user defined cadence of words per minute)
- Change background / text colour /font without afecting Firefoz general definitions;
- view text in 2 pages side by side
- combine epub files?
- rigth click menu to select word or text and search on google / wikipedia / dictionary / thesaurus, or to translate using google translate
- Annotations
- option to import (from Amazon or Librarything) and edit metadata
- statistics (reading time, number of books read, etc.)
- option to save library outside Firefox profile
- search for books in Feedbooks / Mobileread / Project Gutenberg / Google Books / Inkmesh.

These are only random thoughts. Perhaps, several of them can be done using other extensions or userscripts. Obviously, you should implement only what is suggested by a majority of users.

I am no programmer. Only a reader.

Thanks for all the good work.

I think an ebook reader inside Firefox offers a whole new world of possibilities.

By the way, as anyone tested it on Seamonkey?

José Pinto
Old 11-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #60
readx
Connoisseur
readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Hi,

I have a couple of suggestions /wild ideas:
- Background textures (as in Ybook
- user styles (created using css). user styles could be published in epubreader´s homepage.
- Autoscroll (underline one word at a time at a user defined cadence of words per minute)
- Change background / text colour /font without afecting Firefoz general definitions;
- view text in 2 pages side by side
- combine epub files?
- rigth click menu to select word or text and search on google / wikipedia / dictionary / thesaurus, or to translate using google translate
- Annotations
- option to import (from Amazon or Librarything) and edit metadata
- statistics (reading time, number of books read, etc.)
- option to save library outside Firefox profile
- search for books in Feedbooks / Mobileread / Project Gutenberg / Google Books / Inkmesh.
I'm not a huge fan of the hole library stuff provided with this plugin. Therefore I will only second functions providing a better reading experience.
- combine epub files (script ???)
- Annotations
- bookmarking were you have left reading
- option to save files outside Firefox profile
- change background / text colour /font without affecting Firefox general settings

Please don't try to make a all in one solution (editor / library/ viewer). Just stick with the viewer.
Closed Thread