Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #31
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
It's not working for me, it installed (following the workaround), but it displays nothing when I try to open 2 DRM-free EPUBs (via file open).

I'm running FF 3.5 on Ubuntu 9.10, I'll try later on my Windows machine.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #32
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It's not working for me, it installed (following the workaround), but it displays nothing when I try to open 2 DRM-free EPUBs (via file open).

I'm running FF 3.5 on Ubuntu 9.10, I'll try later on my Windows machine.
I guess that there is still a problem on Unix machines, but because I don't have one, I can't reproduce and fix it.

Could you help me with this? I have a version ready which logs some information and I hope I find the problem this way.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #33
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
...The main reason why I thought it would be a good idea to create the ePub-reader as an Firefox addon is, that an ePub-file is basically an archive of HTML-files. So why not use a program which is specialized in displaying HTML-files and many people have already installed? The great benefit is, that in that way you don't have to bother with rendering and display of the HTML-files because Firefox does this for you. So the limit of what is possible to display is set by Firefox and not by a special ePub-software. And I think Firefox is always at the cutting edge ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
... The text opened a bit on the small side for my preferences, but using Firefox’s Zoom function increased the font size comfortably...
Firefox's Zoom function works great with this add-on.

Just Ctrl + + + or Ctrl - - - to get the perfect size; rendering 'on the fly' and reflowing as expected. I can see what you meant now by letting the browser do what it was made to do.

Ken.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #34
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I guess that there is still a problem on Unix machines, but because I don't have one, I can't reproduce and fix it.

Could you help me with this? I have a version ready which logs some information and I hope I find the problem this way.
Sure, no problem, let me know where I can grab the debug version.

I have tested on my Windows machine, running W7 64-bit, and works flawlessly, great tool.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #35
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

New version is available!

Hi!

A new version (1.0.5) of EPUBReader is available.

If you download the new version, please make sure you get 1.0.5 and not 1.0.4. Sometimes old versions are displayed. Here is the link for the download: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/45281

Here is what I changed:

Best news first:
- Now EPUBReader works also on Unix systems ! The problem was caused by the case sensitivity of Unix.

- EPUBReader is now compatible with Firefox 3.6.

- The navigationbar of ePub-files with Hebrew and Cyrillic characters is now displayed correctly. Please load the ePub-file again, if you experienced problems.

- It's now possible to hide the navigationbar, so there is more space for reading. This is available for ePub-files loaded with version 1.0.5. So just reload ePub-files you already loaded with an older version.

- Error handling has been improved. If an error occurs during processing of the ePub-file, now detailled error information is displayed instead of a white screen.

As always: please let me know what you think and if you experience any problems.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #36
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
...As always: please let me know what you think and if you experience any problems.
The "Toggle Navigationbar" works great.

FYI, some good examples, at MobileRead, of well crafted ePub for testing. Downloads are available via the following posts:Thanks again, Ken.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #37
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Excellent reader! Very fast and easy to navigate

So far I like what I see it is extremely fast and convent.

I've only noticed a problem with this ePUB
http://www.feedbooks.com/book/1639

It appears since their is not TOC entry for the main body there is no way to access the story.

Also it would be nice if there was a bookmark feature otherwise it will be very difficult to read any book of considerable size on this tool.

Great job thank you!
=X=
Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #38
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
In the moment the navigation works only via the links on the left side. I'm thinking about a good solution for page up/down, but I'm not sure if and when this will be available.
Quote:
- It's now possible to hide the navigationbar, so there is more space for reading. This is available for ePub-files loaded with version 1.0.5. So just reload ePub-files you already loaded with an older version.
Congratulations on a very nice, functional and warranted add-on!

I wonder if this approach/code could be added to some browser's that work on the iLiad or Kindle (if they are Mozilla based ). This way these hardware ebook readers could have (unencrypted) .epub support without requiring a firmware upgrade.

Anyways, to re-visit your navigation issues, I think the toc.ncx is the first place that can be improved with a "Prev" and "Next" button/link beside the "Toggle Navigationbar" and/or failing that, I would allow users to follow the linked source html files listed in the <spine> section of the enclosed .opf file within the .epub using that same Prev and Next link approach.

In fact, using that .opf, you can re-write the <head> section of the html so that you can specify the files Next and Previous links** therein by adding support for:
Code:
Next alternative view page
<link rel="next" href="nameofnextpage.html" />

Previous alternative page
<link rel="prev" href="nameofpreviouspage.html" />
Note: ** see 12.1.2 Other link relationships at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/links.html

Just a thought or two...

In any event, it's a great add-on!

p.s. it even works well with my humongous Webster's Dictionary 1913 ver 2.1 .epub loading it in under 20 seconds with NO issues!!!!

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-03-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added links
Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #39
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
So far I like what I see it is extremely fast and convent.

I've only noticed a problem with this ePUB
http://www.feedbooks.com/book/1639

It appears since their is not TOC entry for the main body there is no way to access the story.

Also it would be nice if there was a bookmark feature otherwise it will be very difficult to read any book of considerable size on this tool.

Great job thank you!
=X=
Thanks for your feedback!

I checked the epub you mentioned. The problem occurs because the main page is missing in the navmap of the epub. So it's not EPUBReader's fault .

What exactly do you mean with "bookmark feature"?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #40
readx
Connoisseur
readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Congrats for this great app.

What I'm missing is a consolidated bug/feature tracker.

Reading through this post, the mozilla site and other blogs there have been many good ideas but at to many different places to follow.

Maybe you could setup a tracker at moz dev or sourceforge

Karma to you
Old 11-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #41
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Thanks for this great add-on !
Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #42
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by readx View Post
Congrats for this great app.

What I'm missing is a consolidated bug/feature tracker.

Reading through this post, the mozilla site and other blogs there have been many good ideas but at to many different places to follow.

Maybe you could setup a tracker at moz dev or sourceforge

Karma to you

I've got exactly the same problem .

Of course I can't avoid that people are leaving their comments at different places, but I'll try to consolidate it. I will setup a bug/feature tracker on EPUBReader's homepage (http://www.epubconvert.com/epubreader/).
Old 11-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #43
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I checked the epub you mentioned. The problem occurs because the main page is missing in the navmap of the epub. So it's not EPUBReader's fault .
What exactly do you mean with "bookmark feature"?
Just so you know ADE, Sony library and calibe have no problem reading that file.

As for a bookmark what I mean is like a place holder on the web page. This way if a person needs to stop reading in the middle of a chapter they can put a bookmark/placeholder and resume reading at a later time
Old 11-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #44
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Just so you know ADE, Sony library and calibe have no problem reading that file.
No, I didn't know. Checked again the files. At the place where EPUBReader is looking for navigation information, the link to the main page is missing. There is another place, where the link exists, but the information at this place is only optional, so I don't read it. This seems to be the place which ADE etc. are reading. Will check specification and probably change the logic.

Quote:
As for a bookmark what I mean is like a place holder on the web page. This way if a person needs to stop reading in the middle of a chapter they can put a bookmark/placeholder and resume reading at a later time
Ah, good idea. I'll put this on the change list.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #45
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
I've got it on Firefox 3.6.1beta, and it works great!
Closed Thread