Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Jerome0840
Jerome0840 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have a question about the end of folder path,help!

I add a book and the folder path:
Rowling, J.K -> Harry Potter 3 - Harry Potter And The Prisoner of Azkaban (53)
the end of path is number. If I delete the book and add another one, the folder path must be
xxx(54). Is it a rule or something? Please help me, thank you very much.
Jerome0840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome0840 View Post
I add a book and the folder path:
the end of path is number. If I delete the book and add another one, the folder path must be
xxx(54). Is it a rule or something? Please help me, thank you very much.
NEVER NEVER DELETE (OR CHANGE A NAME) A BOOK FROM INSIDE THE LIBRARY FOLDER.

KEEP OUT

The GUI manages the folder.
IF YOU WANT TO DELETE/ADD/REPLACE: Use the GUI (or CLI). That way, calibre keeps track of it all. (the number matches a specific entry, you could have 2 copies of the same title...the numbers will be different.)

For more: Read the sticky about file names at the top of this section.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Jerome0840

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
NEVER NEVER DELETE (OR CHANGE A NAME) A BOOK FROM INSIDE THE LIBRARY FOLDER.

KEEP OUT

The GUI manages the folder.
IF YOU WANT TO DELETE/ADD/REPLACE: Use the GUI (or CLI). That way, calibre keeps track of it all. (the number matches a specific entry, you could have 2 copies of the same title...the numbers will be different.)

For more: Read the sticky about file names at the top of this section.
Thank you for your help.DELETE/ADD by use the GUI, I just do it. For example,
I delete the book by using the GUI, and the folder delete. Next, I add same book,but the folder:J.K -> Harry Potter 3 - Harry Potter And The Prisoner of Azkaban (54).
It must be something wrong, if I delete a book and add a new book, hte number should be 53. my os is fedora18.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
So, let the number be 54. It is just a number that calibre add to ensure that every folder is unique, so there can be more than one book with exactly the same title and author. If calibre ever reuse numbers, or just keep incrementing them, I don't know.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Adoby, my observation is that it just keeps incrementing - I 'regard' it more like an acquisition number - its meaningless - to humans.

In case anyone is wondering why one would have more than one 'book' with exactly the same title and author, different languages is one reason, different editions is another...

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #6
Jerome0840

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Adoby, my observation is that it just keeps incrementing - I 'regard' it more like an acquisition number - its meaningless - to humans.

In case anyone is wondering why one would have more than one 'book' with exactly the same title and author, different languages is one reason, different editions is another...

BR
so it just keeps increasing and never decrease?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Yes. Calibre uses an SQLite database. I believe (but haven't checked the code) that the number is from a column with autoincrement set. If I'm right, every time a record (ie book) is added, that column's value will be one greater than the previous value used. Deletions won't affect it.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter. The files and folders in the library folder are part of the database. Just ignore them, same as you ignore the SQLite database file itself.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #8
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Most likely. Until the library becomes corrupted or the disk crash, and you have to create a new calibre library.

Most likely it is an integer that is at least 32 bits large. So when you have added something like 2,147,483,647 books (or possibly the double amount if the integer is unsigned) something unforseen might happen. Or not. If you continuously add one book per second to calibre it would take at least 68 years before that limit is reached. By that time calibre will most likely have been updated to handle larger integers, if it doesn't already.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Yep - like the numbers on bank notes

Adoby - I think its up to 64bit - sqllite has dynamic containers see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...integer-bigint

So that would be up 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 books,
the Library of Congress has mere 32,000,000ish

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-23-2013 at 03:21 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Ok, something like 580,000,000,000 years then, if you keep adding one book per second.

The sun is expected to expand to beyond the earth's orbit in about 7,000,000,000 years, so calibre should be okay. No worries. :X

If you wish to lower the numbers used I suspect that you could just create a new library and copy all the books over there. (Using the GUI!) Then I assume that numbers from 1 and up will be used in consecutive order.

Last edited by Adoby; 03-23-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes,
Numbers are never reused. The number is not a COUNT, it is a DB entry log ID. The Send To Device} template is {id} (this number is also shown in the Details pane).

The book could still be on your device and not in Calibre, which is why I use {ID} in my template, to help differentiate possible 'duplicate entries' on my devices: file name only, catalog.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Most likely. Until the library becomes corrupted or the disk crash, and you have to create a new calibre library.

Most likely it is an integer that is at least 32 bits large. So when you have added something like 2,147,483,647 books (or possibly the double amount if the integer is unsigned) something unforseen might happen. Or not. If you continuously add one book per second to calibre it would take at least 68 years before that limit is reached. By that time calibre will most likely have been updated to handle larger integers, if it doesn't already.
by the time you get too that number, calibre will probably be boggier than tar