Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The framework login is very restricted. About the only thing it is good for is "cat /etc/shadow". Then copy your scrollback buffer into a shadow file on the host PC, and crack it with John the Ripper and my fiona wordlist.

But the easiest way to get the root password is to use the web page that lets you type in your kindle serial number and it tells you your root password. Look in the Tools index wiki.

EDIT: Okay, I looked up the password links for you:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Tools_Index#Password

You can get your serial number in the settings "information" menu, or by using Sir Alex's KDT program.

We do not encourage ad removal, but that information is not forbidden here, and you can find links to threads and kindle hacking wikis in the "kindle index wikis" that tell you how to do it. Start at the "master index" sticky thread...

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-12-2012 at 12:00 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #32
jack_slapped
jack_slapped began at the beginning.

Device: KSO 4 NT
Thanks for your speedy response. I had actually been to the password generator an hour or two ago and tried the password it generated for me. It didn't work. So I looked at it again after you posted it and realized I had typed in the letters for my serial number in lowercase. Capital letters totally matter in hex. Smacks forehead. What a noobie mistake. So I tried the new password and it worked like a charm. Root access and entered the code in fine and bam. No ads. Thanks a bunch! You have been extremely helpful.
jack_slapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #33
pinchajetas
pinchajetas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Please some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolkodo View Post
You just have to SSH into the kindle (e.g. with the USBnet-methode) and then create a RUNME.sh in the /mnt/us with the following content:

Code:
mntroot rw
if [ ! -f /var/local/adunits.bkp ]; then
	mv /var/local/adunits /var/local/adunits.bkp
	touch /var/local/adunits
fi
mntroot ro
Save, exit and make the following:
Code:
chmod +x /mnt/us/RUNME.sh; mntroot rw
Make a backup about the mntus.params file with this:
Code:
cp /var/local/system/mntus.params /var/local/system/mntus.params.BKP
Extend the original mntus.params with the followings:
Code:
if [ -e /mnt/us/RUNME.sh ]; then
	sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh
fi
If you would like to see a log then change the "sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh" with "sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh > /mnt/us/RUNME.log"

If you are ready, just create and link the screensaver folder, just like before:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.bkp
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
exit
As far as I know this is the only black/hackway and there's no "block the ads" and "put screensavers" hack.
I tried it on my own K4 NT SO, works.
Hi guys, I have a problem with this code, and I hope you can help me with it:
Code:
	sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh
fi
I only get this answer:

"/mnt/us/RUNME.sh: line 6: syntax error: unexpected end of file (expecting "then")"

So I changed it to:
Code:
if [ -e /mnt/us/RUNME.sh ]; 
then [ sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh]
fi
But I get this:
"sh: /mnt/us/RUNME.sh: unknown operand"

What should I do to get it right?
pinchajetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Change the line endings from Windows to Unix.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #35
pinchajetas

How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Change the line endings from Windows to Unix.
OK but how can I do that? :S
Old 10-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #36
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchajetas View Post
OK but how can I do that? :S
Depends on what text editor you are using, in some cases what version of the text editor you are using.

Note (no pun intended): I recently read a post that line ending conversion was taken out of notepad++ (the prior standard editor).

Here is a good one (text editors are a personal choice, everyone has their own favorite):
http://www.geany.org/Download/Releases#windows

Pick the binary that is named "full installer ..." and it will just work.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #37
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hi Knc1. Just to clarify they actually haven't removed it.

They just moved the menu item into something like "EOL OPERATIONS -> CONVERT -> UNIX" as opposed to where it used to live in the main toolbar.

My apologies if the post was misleading, I'll go and amend it with this extra info.

So, yeah, what Knc1 said. or you can also use Notepad++.

CAVEAT just be aware that IF you use Winscp to transfer files ONTO your device.

Winscp will automatically
a) fix your line-ending to Unix
b) resolve all symbolic links to their parent object when copying onto FAT (cool ey )

but this has an implication. Check that you actually do have the right file types before packaging it up for general use as others may transfer it with native unix tools. Hope that helps.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #38
knc1
Going Viral

Geany is a Lua / GTK app -
It might "just work" on a Kindle with a touch of re-compiling for ARM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #39
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchajetas View Post
So I changed it to:
Code:
then [ sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh]
fi
But I get this:
"sh: /mnt/us/RUNME.sh: unknown operand"

What should I do to get it right?
Add a space before the right bracket:
Code:
then [ sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh ]
fi
Also, double brackets are native to the shell, where "[" is an external program located in /bin/. I would use
"if [[ -e /mnt/us/RUNME.sh ]]" instead (even though it is less "condensed")...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-05-2012 at 12:31 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #40
pinchajetas

It works!

Thank you so much, knc1. I did change the line endings from Win to Unix on Vim and it work.

And, geekmaster, I did it before, but the real problem was the line endings.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #41
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
How do you get SSL access? I know you nees to get into DIAGS, but how?
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #42
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlubber View Post
How do you get SSL access? I know you nees to get into DIAGS, but how?
SSL or SSH?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking

Give that a read.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Sockets_Layer) is ssl. I don't think you mean that but best to ask...

I don't think up need access to DIAGs (unless your device is fubarred in some way) to simply gain SSH access... DIAGS is generally for more "maintenance" level tasks.

in essence you need to ensure that you either a) installed a hack that manages the installation/starting/settings for you

or b)

install/start the dropbear/authentication service yourself and manage the firewall rules.

I just did exactly this in a VERY stubborn 5 B011.
Hopefully you will have an easier ride
but I did get it done.

Last edited by twobob; 10-22-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Sockets_Layer
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #43
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Hello. As I'm working on debricking my Kindle 4 (still no luck but working on it), I grabbed my roommate's newer k4 black with 4.1 to put the universal hack on it. I used the "universal method"..Placed the data.tar.gz, ENABLE_DIAGS and diagnostic_logs to the Kindle's USB drive's root...got into diagnostics mode and got to the "jailbreak, wait a moment while your kindle is being freed" screen and then restarted back into diagnostics mode, selected "D) Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags" again Select "D) Disable Diagnostics" and "Q) To continue"

At this point the ""You are Jailbroken" never came on and it just went straight back to my main screen with my collections. Do any of you have any suggestions what i did wrong and what i could do at this point to get it jailbroken? I don't want to proceed and screw anything more up like I did with my own K4. Thanks for any help. All is want is to ditch these ridiculous screensavers and put my own on.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #44
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolkodo View Post
You just have to SSH into the kindle (e.g. with the USBnet-methode) and then create a RUNME.sh in the /mnt/us with the following content:

Code:
mntroot rw
if [ ! -f /var/local/adunits.bkp ]; then
	mv /var/local/adunits /var/local/adunits.bkp
	touch /var/local/adunits
fi
mntroot ro
Save, exit and make the following:
Code:
chmod +x /mnt/us/RUNME.sh; mntroot rw
Make a backup about the mntus.params file with this:
Code:
cp /var/local/system/mntus.params /var/local/system/mntus.params.BKP
Extend the original mntus.params with the followings:
Code:
	sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh
fi
If you would like to see a log then change the "sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh" with "sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh > /mnt/us/RUNME.log"

If you are ready, just create and link the screensaver folder, just like before:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.bkp
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
exit
As far as I know this is the only black/hackway and there's no "block the ads" and "put screensavers" hack.
I tried it on my own K4 NT SO, works.
:t hanks:
:t hanks::tha nks:
YOU ARE AWESOME!!! DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO DO A FACTORY RESET!!!

Last edited by waterlubber; 11-28-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: fixed thanks
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #45
la_tristesse
la_tristesse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikiiiva View Post
Found them. Here there are, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169150. There are several methods but no one confirmed that they work on K4 NT. When I try, I will report back there.
Any news on that? Im anxious that a new update will break my jailbreak.
la_tristesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.1.0, hack, jailbreak, k4nt, kindle 4 nt