Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
tonyofla
Enthusiast
tonyofla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
next software release?

I have my ILiad for a few weeks and I'm generally happy with it. Lots could be done to improve the UI - and the missing elements in the mobi reader software. (bookmarks etc) I'm wondering if iRex are working on a new firmware and if so when can we expect it? (I understand last (minor) update was last February)
tonyofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyofla View Post
I have my ILiad for a few weeks and I'm generally happy with it. Lots could be done to improve the UI - and the missing elements in the mobi reader software. (bookmarks etc) I'm wondering if iRex are working on a new firmware and if so when can we expect it? (I understand last (minor) update was last February)
Honestly we have no idea what iRex is currently doing.

One iRex member recently cited "exciting things going to happen" without explicating what.

I heared through the grapevine on the software side they are working on the develop "the one document reader to rule them all". (I guess this means at least integrating mobipocked and pdf into one reader).

There was somewhere a wonderfull diagram showing the release dates of the iLiad firmware. Believe me, I searched now 1 hour for it, I couldn't find it. However out of memory the intervals are getting longer in a quadratic function, and given the fantasy the trend continues mathematically we are not even at the half of the current interval.

We don't even know if they are developing a new hardware, and if what kind of field they'll position it in or if they are focusing on an IDS that actually works. Who knows...

The only thing I can tell is, they are not hiring development staff, only service staff. I don't know if this is a hint or not.

Last edited by axel77; 07-01-2008 at 12:43 PM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
There was somewhere a wonderfull diagram showing the release dates of the iLiad firmware.
http://blog.adamrb.com/2007/12/days-...-releases.html
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:20 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, they said something about a framework for including other readers easily. Thats old news though and nothing has happened so far.

I assume, they are working on a new design and a 9.7 version of the iLiad, which would have to be on the market by Q4, if they want to compete against Astaks readers.

So i hope its quiet, because they are really busy.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm not optimistic about ever seeing anything new out of iRex (software or hardware). I like my iLiad as-is, with the community developed software, and I think if we want a new content lister we'll have to make it ourselves. I don't mean to be negative, but I just don't see iRex ever changing their habits. They didn't want to be in the end-user market in the first place. They may still be looking for B2B clients, but with all the competition in readers and more coming soon, I think they've really lost the initiative.

I'd love to be wrong, of course.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #6
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
They didn't want to be in the end-user market in the first place. They may still be looking for B2B clients, but with all the competition in readers and more coming soon, I think they've really lost the initiative.

I don't know, the creation of the iLiad bookreader variation was IMHO actually not a sign, they aren't interested in the enduser market at all.

But you are IMHO right if we say we need to create an complete open user platform ourselves, not to discredit all the porting of computer/PDA software, its good, but we"d need a project that recreates the whole platform and currently I don't see anybody developing anything specific for the iLiad. Like a choice at bootuptime what platform you want to boot for, much like on the PC.

Last edited by axel77; 07-05-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #7
tonyofla
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm not optimistic about ever seeing anything new out of iRex (software or hardware). I like my iLiad as-is, with the community developed software, and I think if we want a new content lister we'll have to make it ourselves. I don't mean to be negative, but I just don't see iRex ever changing their habits. They didn't want to be in the end-user market in the first place. They may still be looking for B2B clients, but with all the competition in readers and more coming soon, I think they've really lost the initiative.

I think, sadly, you might be right. The only evidence to contradict this is the recent introduction of the book reader edition which shows some, maybe half hearted, desire to court the end-user market. Omitting wifi on this model though seems to suggest that the company don’t have any Kindle style development of instant over air newspapers or books in mind. An interview with someone in Eindhoven regarding future plans would be great! They did pioneering work in a very underdeveloped market and actually came up with a great product.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:24 AM   #8
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyofla View Post
I think, sadly, you might be right. The only evidence to contradict this is the recent introduction of the book reader edition which shows some, maybe half hearted, desire to court the end-user market. Omitting wifi on this model though seems to suggest that the company don’t have any Kindle style development of instant over air newspapers or books in mind. An interview with someone in Eindhoven regarding future plans would be great! They did pioneering work in a very underdeveloped market and actually came up with a great product.
Well they did delivere iLiads to france newspapers with a 3G device attached to get newspapers over air... I think the project was called "orange" or so. Don't know what became of that...
Old 07-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #9
tonyofla
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well they did delivere iLiads to france newspapers with a 3G device attached to get newspapers over air... I think the project was called "orange" or so. Don't know what became of that...
As far as I know that project is still active as they seem to be promoting some sort of tie-in with the upcoming Olympic games, read about results early etc.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It was a supposed deal with the mobile operator Orange. And the idea was (from what i've read, anyway) for it to work very similar to Kindle, i.e. 3G OTA distribution of both e-books and e-papers, though the pilot was with e-paper subscriptions only.

Anyway, that was just two months ago, sometime around May, so something may still come from it.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I could see iRex making a try at the newspaper market, because it fits their interests (B2B), but I think their products are still far too expensive for any market that doesn't use the stylus as a critical feature. But iRex doesn't really support the stylus -- they barely got calibration, and that because the community did it. They still don't support pressure sensitivity, and they really need to look at some kind of handwriting recognition, even if it's something like Graffiti.

The professional market -- lawyers, doctors, business consultants, academics-- could be very strong for the iLiad, but iRex would have to vastly improve their software and their end-user support. (Or find a partner interested in that market, I suppose.)
Old 07-06-2008, 04:39 AM   #12
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
I could see iRex making a try at the newspaper market, because it fits their interests (B2B), but I think their products are still far too expensive for any market that doesn't use the stylus as a critical feature. But iRex doesn't really support the stylus -- they barely got calibration, and that because the community did it. They still don't support pressure sensitivity, and they really need to look at some kind of handwriting recognition, even if it's something like Graffiti.

The professional market -- lawyers, doctors, business consultants, academics-- could be very strong for the iLiad, but iRex would have to vastly improve their software and their end-user support. (Or find a partner interested in that market, I suppose.)
As almost always I can just agree with you
Old 07-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #13
orcinus
Gadgeteer

Quote:
...and they really need to look at some kind of handwriting recognition, even if it's something like Graffiti.
Erm. The iLiad already has handwriting recognition.
And it works perfectly, even on my ugly (non-english) scribbles. Much better than Graffiti or Window Mobile "block recognizer".
Old 07-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
Erm. The iLiad already has handwriting recognition.
And it works perfectly, even on my ugly (non-english) scribbles. Much better than Graffiti or Window Mobile "block recognizer".
I must beg to differ. iRex offers a third-party product which can convert iLiad notes files to text on a PC. That is not the same as having on-board handwriting recognition.

Unless you are talking about the one-line handwriting input method? It doesn't work especially well for me, but it is usable for inputting short text segments, e.g. for searching in FBreader.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
orcinus
Gadgeteer

Quote:
Unless you are talking about the one-line handwriting input method? It doesn't work especially well for me, but it is usable for inputting short text segments, e.g. for searching in FBreader.
That's exactly what i'm talking about.
Works perfectly for me, which i've found extremely weird, because most text recognition algorithms have a lot of difficulty recognizing my handwriting. I only wish there was a notetaking app of some sort, that would enable me to use it for full screen entry.