Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Various: Swedish-English Dictionary. Version 1.1. 25 May 2011

I created a quick and dirty Swedish-English dictionary with inflections from the following CC licensed sources:

1. Swedish Wiktionary XML dump (svwiktionary)
2. The People's Dictionary (Folkets lexikon)
3. Inflections from the Saldo project

The end result is not pretty and inconsistent, but the dictionary works and should be OK for absolute beginners who want to learn Swedish, but Swedish native speakers may want to consult a "real" dictionary instead.

EDIT: New Version 1.1
I noticed that some multipart translation entries got truncated and created a new version of the dictionary that fixes most of these issues. It probably still contains some redundant entries and some garbage entries, but the coverage should be OK for non-technical texts. (I tested it with "Män som hatar kvinnor" and only occasionally stumbled upon a word that couldn't be found or didn't make sense in the context.)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sven.zip (1.26 MB, 2626 views)

Last edited by Doitsu; 05-25-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Update
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Attachment 71669 may help
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Not really.

I looked at the same sources that you used and I deliberately decided against using them for quality reasons. Also my version has inflection support for more than half of the 50K+ entries and POS tagging, which your version lacks.

For example, if users look up "draggande" in your Swedish dictionary, they will not find the entry for "dragga", because your entry for "dragga" has no inflection index. The same goes for "huset" which should bring up the entry for "hus" etc.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Mick_Belgium
Mick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3
Dear Doitsu,

Thanks for taking the trouble to make that dictionary! However, I'm having trouble getting it to work on my Kindle 3. I can browse it perfectly, but when I set it as the standard dictionary, I'm still getting Oxford's English suggestions... any ideas? Tack på förhand!
Mick_Belgium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_Belgium View Post
Dear Doitsu,

Thanks for taking the trouble to make that dictionary! However, I'm having trouble getting it to work on my Kindle 3. I can browse it perfectly, but when I set it as the standard dictionary, I'm still getting Oxford's English suggestions... any ideas? Tack på förhand!
this dict converts from swe to en. if you get results from oxford's , then there are two possibilities:
1) text is in en. ( if this is the case try Attachment 71746 (an en-swe dict )
2) metadata displays language as en. (if this is the case try mobi2mobi to change it to swe)

Last edited by thomass; 06-14-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Check the language code of the ebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_Belgium View Post
Dear Doitsu,
However, I'm having trouble getting it to work on my Kindle 3. I can browse it perfectly, but when I set it as the standard dictionary, I'm still getting Oxford's English suggestions... any ideas?
I tested it with a Swedish ebook on my Kindle and it works fine. If it doesn't work on yours, you'll need to change the language code of the ebook to Swedish.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
Mick_Belgium
Mick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura about

Hi thomass and Doitsu,

Great to get a reply so quickly, cheers
___

*edit: see my newer post below*
___

[...] Or is there a reasonably simple way to do it myself that I'm not seeing? Weird that Calibre can't do it, no?

Last edited by Mick_Belgium; 06-20-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: found a workaround
Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
Mick_Belgium

Hi all,

I have found a simple workaround to get your book in the correct language in Calibre - weird that I haven't come across this before.

PROBLEM:
So, I had a Swedish EPUB book (Män som hatar kvinnor), and I had converted it to MOBI for my Kindle, using Calibre. However, Calibre added the metatag "English" during this conversion because my interface language for using Calibre was English. So it didn't work with my Swe-Eng dictionary.

SOLUTION:
I simply went to Calibre's preferences, set the interface language to Swedish, and then converted the EPUB file to MOBI again - and now it works like a charm with the Swe-Eng dictionary! Hope this works for others out there too.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:08 AM   #9
thomass
Wizard

[...] Or is there a reasonably simple way to do it myself that I'm not seeing? Weird that Calibre can't do it, no?[/QUOTE]

mobi2mobi is a simple tool to do this very easily, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21763

actually calibre alo has a tool to edit metadata: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/ebook-meta.html

Last edited by thomass; 07-14-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Pepijn
Enthusiast
Pepijn began at the beginning.

Works pretty well for me thanks!
Have you made one in the other direction (en-swe) from these sources as well?
Pepijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepijn View Post
Works pretty well for me thanks!
Have you made one in the other direction (en-swe) from these sources as well?
No, I don't need one, and since most Swedes speak excellent English, I don't think that there's a real need for it.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
TerryLang
TerryLang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thank you to DOITSU and MICK_BELGIUM. I downloaded DOITSU's Swedish-English dictionary, but it wouldn't work. Then I read MICK-BELGIUM's post on how to use Swedish in Calibre, and followed those instructions. My Swedish-English dictionary works perfectly now!! I've searched for months (and Amazon is no help at all). I'm SOOOO excited that I no longer have to carry my laptop around with me to use translate.google. Thanks for all your help!!
TerryLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
thomass
Wizard

You can use Java Mobi Metadata Editor also
Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #14
slussen2
Enthusiast
slussen2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Swedish Dictionary

Hi,
I've been trying to install a downloaded Swedish dictionary on my new Kindle Touch via Calibre, with my Macbook, but have had no success.

I checked out Doitsu's post, as well as Terry Lang's, did as instructed and changed the Preferences reference in Calibre to Swedish.
I then tried downloading the ePub version of the dictionary (the pdf version encountered a problem when Calibre tried to convert it to .mobi - don't know what the problem was here but the conversion process went on and on and when I looked at the progress bar, there was none!), converted it in Calibre to .mobi and transferred it to my KT. But it doesn't work.

Can anyone help?
Thanks.
slussen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
slussen2,

Are you trying to just move the dictionary to the Kindle and the use it like a regular book? Or are you trying to get it to work as the primary dictionary as set in the Kindle's preferences, so that when you select a word in a book, the Kindle shows you the definition of that word?
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, english, ordbok, svenska, swedish