Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
david12345
david12345 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Please help me choose a reader

I'm in a market for an ebook reader. What I'm looking to do is to take a web-page, convert it to epub format, download it to the device, so I can read it on the go.

Software wise, I looked at calibre but it appears to download entire web-site and not a particular web-page of choice.

Probably the most ideal way would be for the device to provide printer driver so that I can print any document into epub format similar to the way I can print documents to pdf.

Is anyone aware of device that comes with such capability?

Thanks in advance.
david12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no print-to-ePub printer driver that I know of. If there was, I'm sure it would have been mentioned on MR. That said, it looks like you have a 505. If you do, you won't find any reader that does what you want. Calibre is what you want to covert to ePub and then any reader that supports ePub will work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Instapaper.com will do exactly what you want. It is one of the most awesome free services ever

Last edited by maxbookworm; 05-24-2010 at 08:26 AM.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G

Works really well - don't use it as much anymore as I am not studying, but it was great for single news articles when I was doing my MA.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Instapaper.com will do exactly what you want. It is one of the most awesome free services ever
Might need to check this out
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
For the Firefox junkies out there, you need to check out Scrapbook:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/427/
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by david12345 View Post
I'm in a market for an ebook reader. What I'm looking to do is to take a web-page, convert it to epub format, download it to the device, so I can read it on the go.

Software wise, I looked at calibre but it appears to download entire web-site and not a particular web-page of choice.

Probably the most ideal way would be for the device to provide printer driver so that I can print any document into epub format similar to the way I can print documents to pdf.

Is anyone aware of device that comes with such capability?

Thanks in advance.
I use to use Bookit when I had the SONY 505 and it was great. It no longer works.

However I now have a Kindle with 3G you really don't need to convert the web page just read it from your browser. One thing I do is make sure you use mobile web sites, they load faster and are easier to navigate with the Kindle.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote