Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What genre do you like best?
Romance 19 22.89%
Fantasy 37 44.58%
Science Fiction 43 51.81%
Realistic Fiction 15 18.07%
Horror/thriller 12 14.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
LoudMouthLove
LoudMouthLove began at the beginning.

Device: none
What makes a book worth reading?

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum. I am new to this site. The topic seemed to coincide with this forum though.
I was wondering what genre people like, what about that genre you like, what good books their are in that genre, and what makes it a good book. What, in your opinion, makes a good book period?
LoudMouthLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Characters you love to love, or love to hate. Lots of oh my gawd moments. Throw in a few I can not believe the author actually did THAT, and yes you have a good book.

I would rather get all riled up at GRMM killing off yet another Stark then read some feel good warm and fuzzy any day of the week.

I want to feel.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
And a good plot that raises questions..

Last edited by David Munch; 03-19-2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Rise, raise.. Thank you Charles!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I agree with the previous replies. A good plot and good characters.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Oh and good writing. Can't stand books where the author attempts to show literary genius by the constant use of made-up metaphors. It really questions my continued desire to scan the pages left to right of the written scripture like a seagull at the wave-impacting sandy beach surveying the water for its next...and perhaps infrequent digestion of nourishing roughage.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
My preferred genre is SF, broadly described as the literature of ideas.

The best SF books make you think.
About what people do to themselves, to each other, to the world.
About "what if" or "if only!" or "if this goes on..."
It is about the world we live in and ways it might lead to a specific future.

The best SF books draw you in with interesting settings and situations, they draw you in to worlds you might want to live in or dread to experience. They suggest ways we could improve our world or warn of ways this world can go horribly wrong. Utopias, dystopias, cautionary tales.

The best SF books introduce us to interesting people; they may be just like us or, like the gods of mythology, larger than life reflections of human traits and follies. They can be people we can reasonably aspire to emulate or people we can barely understand.

The best SF books will challenge us to think. Whether dead serious or light and airy, the best SF will always tell us something worth pondering about us, our world, our role in it.

And, of course, the best SF books will do any or all of the above in an accessible, entertaining fashion. Because good SF, serious or not, has to be *fun*.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
It should be well-written. The style should be good. Spelling and punctuation must be correct. The book itself, as well as its paragraphs and chapters should have the appropriate length, as should sentences, which have the additional requirement of having to contain at least a subject and a verb.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I used to be pretty easy to please when it came to reading. I loved science fiction when I was younger, and went through a stage of reading the classics.

Last year (because I'm gay) I decided to read nothing but gay-themed novels. Well, that's proven to be something of a disaster. All my life I've been reading about the fortunes and misfortunes of straight people as they fell into and out of love, and being gay, I've been translating it all through my own frame of reference.

Now, having read so much good gay literature over the past year, I can't get enough of it. And the problem is that I like "good" writing. There's plenty of very average gay novels around, my own included, but I want to read something better than average, and I've just about reached the bottom of the barrel.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Me.
I make a book worth reading.
(and that's not conceit talking--even though some will make the mistake of construing it as such)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Since I prefer non-fiction books at the moment, I look for a book that not only presents the facts in a clear and precise manner, but also presents the book in a narrative that makes me want learn more about the subject. The last book that I read about Chief Quanah Parker accomplished just this.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A story that sets the 'hook' early

Moves right along though the twists and turns of the plot

Then smacks you between the running light with the conclusion
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Any formula will be incomplete. All I know is that I know it when I see it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
Characters you love to love, or love to hate. Lots of oh my gawd moments. Throw in a few I can not believe the author actually did THAT, and yes you have a good book.

I would rather get all riled up at GRMM killing off yet another Stark then read some feel good warm and fuzzy any day of the week.

I want to feel.

applesauce
I want to feel also. Mostly warm and fuzzy
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
It has to capture my interest, and it has to be well written. Currently, not a lot of fiction books manage to catch my interest; so I switched to reading non-fiction. There are many good, gripping and funny non-fiction books out there, fortunately.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A book is a journey. The guide should take me somewhere interesting. Tell me interesting things. Not be an idiot.

The trip can be slow and beautiful, fast and dangerous, deep and philosophical, or quirky and light. I don't have to love the place or the people because I'm not going to live there.

Teach me. Move me. Blow my mind.

If a book can do a bit of this stuff, it was worth reading.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, good, reading