Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
ordeal in Canada

Hi

I was trying to buy Hawkins's On Intelligence.
Being in Canada I'm locked out from the Connect store by default.
Luckily I work for an American company so I could access the Connect store from my office - I guess from our IP address SONY thinks I'm in the US.
Once I created an account I could not access the webshop from home as well.
I really really tried to buy the book, but SONY rejected the purchase because my credit card is not from a US address.
Other websites are also selling the book but as you'd expect it comes with DRM so I wouldn't be able to read it on my SONY Reader... unless I break the DRM which I don't want to bother with, plus it's illegal.
So I can still purchase the paper book for 25$ versus 15$... I don't really feel like it.
Finally I found the book on a warez website.
I let the end of the story for your imagination
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can access the store from anywhere, it definitely doesn't check for the IP address. Though it's true that you can only buy books with a U.S. credit card.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... but anyone can use a Connect Gift Certificate, which a number of members of this forum (eg "Leaping Gnome") very kindly offer to buy for people outside the US - you pay him by PayPal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Really?

Now how does that make any sense?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic
Really?

Now how does that make any sense?
I believe the reasoning is that Sony has to exercise due diligence to determine that their CONNECT customers reside in the US, because they only have publishing and distribution rights there. If you try to buy with a credit card, they will run it, find that it is a non-American card, and prohibit the sale. If you provide an "American" credit card number that you don't use, and then purchase books with gift certificates, that seems to work (and presumably cover's Sony's legal rear end as you've given them an "American" credit card and they've checked the address every time you've tried to use it.
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 AM   #6
sic
Addict

how about paper books?
I can buy a book in the US and bring it with me anywhere I want.
Nobody gives a damn.
I guess online and Internet etc. is different

this is why I didn't become a lawyer...
Old 04-05-2007, 04:34 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic
how about paper books?
I can buy a book in the US and bring it with me anywhere I want.
Nobody gives a damn.
I guess online and Internet etc. is different

this is why I didn't become a lawyer...
LOL.
It reminds me of another topic:
Been there done that
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:05 AM   #8
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic
Hi

[snip]DRM so I wouldn't be able to read it on my SONY Reader... unless I break the DRM which I don't want to bother with, plus it's illegal.
[snip]

Is it illegal in Canada? I know it's part of the USCopyright law, but I hadn't heard that it was illegal in Canada. In the US it's illegal to disable DRM even on legally purchased stuff, but I didn't know Canada had enacted the same law.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
There is a nuance between 'legal' and 'not yet deemed legal'.

In Canada the biggest hurdle I see is here in Québec. French books could cause hicups in legaleese processes. Plus we have many English language authors whith works that have not been exported yet.

It is a sizable undertaking, that of selling copyright protected works across the planet.

You have an escape route available to you. If like 90% of Canadians you live in the 300 miles near the border, you can always cross over and find a Borders or other store that sells Connect gift cards and buy a bunch that you will be able to use from internet.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
sic
Addict

Cracking the DRM
Crossing the border to buy a gift card so that I can then purchase books conveniently online
HELLLOOOOO!!!
No wonder ebooks are a flop so far!
I guess I'll stick to downloaded stuff...
Old 01-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
vaud
vaud began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi All;

I recently joined this forum as I would like to get a reader. I am here to learn more about my options. Excellent site by the way.

I am considering getting a Sony 505 but because I am in Canada , I cannot buy books from the Sony Bookstore. I signed up for an account though and checked the box in the sign up that I was American.

I have found a dealer in the US that will ship to Canada. They also offer a rebate or credit for $199 worth of books. All I have to do is follow the instructions below:

How it works:
1) A Customer buys a Reader and follows these steps between 8/4/2007 and
1/31/2008.
2) The Customer creates an account with the Sony CONNECT™ eBook store (internet
connection required) using the supplied CONNECT™ Reader software.
3) The Customer connects the Reader to their PC through USB with supplied cable.
4) The Customer logs into their Connect™ eBooks account and chooses “Manage
Devices” where they will follow the directions to “Authorize” their Reader
5) Credit will automatically be put in their account. This credit must be used by
02/29/08. Please see Offer Disclaimer below.

The disclaimer though states I must be an American and have a valid American credit card.

My question is will I get to use this credit or will I end up having to give them a credit card number to activate the account and thus not be able to use this credit to download books from the Sony store.

Thanks for your help

- vaud
vaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
nermalscoot
nermalscoot began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
i'm from canada too and i have a prs-505.
you don't need to add a credit card to your sony account. i was able to authorize my prs-505 and get the 100 classics credit without a problem.
nermalscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
vaud

Thanks Nermalscoot

- vaud
Old 01-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #14
angelyne
Connoisseur
angelyne is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
What gets me is other online bookstores don't have that restriction. I can buy books from fictionwise and they don't require an American credit card.

I REFUSE to jump through hoops in order to give Sony money. If they don't want my money too bad. Obviously we (and most of the rest of the world) isn't an important enough market to bother with.

So even when books are available on Sony, I buy them from fictionwise and then convert them to Sony format.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a software that will convert secure mobipocket formats to html?
angelyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
vaud

Hi angelyne

Yes... but I did manage to convert a secured book I bought off fictionwise to lrf tonight , so i'm happy

The libprs software worked like a charm!

I ordered my 505 last night so this time next week i should have it. Add to that there are plenty of excellent books uploaded to this site ... I have been downloading ... so even without the Sony bookstore I'll be fine.

I noticed the manual for the 505 I downloaded is in both French and English... could be a sign they will be set up up here soon.

- vaud