Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #121
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Sure.

Here's the list for now from earlier in the thread. Next June will mark the end of the cycle since we started these categories this July.

- snip -

*Lottery - Anyone who voted or nominated in all the months since the previous Lottery may nominate themselves. Of the nominees, one will be chosen at random, who will then choose the selection for that month.

Did we not come to an agreement about not allowing anyone who had previously 'won' the lottery being not eligible for some time period (like 12 months) after he/she had won? I say this even though it would eliminate me until next November
Old 11-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #122
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Yes, thanks for catching that. I had just copied part of the original post from back around June before that had come up.

I know we had decided there should be a time period of being ineligible after winning, but I'm not sure if we decided low long.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #123
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So what do all of you think about hidden voting the two months we tried it? We have three options: keeping the polls open, hidden or alternating. I am fine with whatever.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #124
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
So what do all of you think about hidden voting the two months we tried it? We have three options: keeping the polls open, hidden or alternating. I am fine with whatever.
I love the hidden vote! I'd be accepting of alternating.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #125
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
You know me, 'surfer. I like open, because I think it results in a choice that more people are willing to read and discuss. Besides, it's a lot more fun to watch the voting and campaign. The first reason is sufficient in itself, however.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #126
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You know me, 'surfer. I like open, because I think it results in a choice that more people are willing to read and discuss. Besides, it's a lot more fun to watch the voting and campaign. The first reason is sufficient in itself, however.
But we already know that open votes are biased and the idea is to have people vote for what they want and not what the fastest voters voted for.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #127
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I love the hidden vote! I'd be accepting of alternating.
I share this opinion.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #128
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I've only been here a month and saw only hidden, so I will go with the majority on this one.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #129
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I like open. Some people like hidden. I say alternating.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #130
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I like open. Some people like hidden. I say alternating.
Yeah. No one's changing his mind at this point. Why not just skip the discussion and go right for the compromise?

I know I commented and I'm not trying to keep anyone from airing an opinion, also. But I think we're all tired of it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #131
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

We'll go with alternating. After the first month trying hidden, all the posts in this club seemed like they may be in favour of one way, so if everyone had wanted one way now we would've gone that way. But since there are people here who like each way, we'll do the simple compromise.

Also, I know that for the other club, all the discussion about possible changes this month has left people tired. That's fine, though I consider that separate from us. Since the other club will be waiting until next December to discuss club mechanics again, I thought it'd be better if we discussed things for our club at a different time. Since we started in the summer in the northern hemisphere/winter in the southern hemisphere and will reach our anniversary then, that seems like a good time to have any discussions about our club. There is no "moratorium" on changes in this club though unlike the other one, since it's so new and we're still feeling our way around, but I expect not to make many or any other changes before around June unless it seems really necessary.

Thanks everyone for taking part in the literary book club during its first six months, and here's to a great 2012 for us!

Last edited by sun surfer; 12-09-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: including all hemispheres
Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #132
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could we get the first post of the sticky thread, "The MobileRead Literary Book Club Categories and Selections", updated with the general rules (or add another sticky thread).

Things like when do nominations start, the rules for nominations, if voting is blind or not, when does discussion start, ...

Just a suggestion.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #133
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Could we get the first post of the sticky thread, "The MobileRead Literary Book Club Categories and Selections", updated with the general rules (or add another sticky thread).

Things like when do nominations start, the rules for nominations, if voting is blind or not, when does discussion start, ...

Just a suggestion.
Good idea. Also something like this thread by Elfwreck https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144343 for the Literary Book Club
Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #134
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

So the actual 2012 threads are starting soon (I started one in 2012 already, but it was for the 2011 selection), and there is one minor thing I want to try out. We seem to have a robust but select membership, and because of that, I was thinking each person receiving four nominations instead of three may be a good healthy thing. So let's try it.

I know, I know, yes, stop the presses, a little tiny change! But though little, it's an important one that might help the nomination process. We'll see.

Also, a little cosmetic change for 2012 - the thread titles will look shorter and a bit different. There's a reason for it. I noticed when you see the most recent thread posted in in this subforum from either the general Reading Recommendations forum or the general Forums homepage, it cuts it off after the first few words. So as is now, every single literary thread looks something like "The MobileRead Literary Book....", so they all look exactly the same! Hopefully shortening it a bit will at least let people see the month.

It will also hopefully make this sub-forum a bit easier to browse with less words in the titles. I considered going balls to the wall with "The MRLC" but will go with the slightly more descriptive "The MR Literary Club". Also, the discussion threads will now be named just for the selection.

That's all!

Quote:

Just a suggestion.
I usually put the basic relevant rules in each thread-starting post, but yes I will eventually get to it and add the general rules to that "Categories and Selections" thread. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Good idea. Also something like this thread by Elfwreck https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144343 for the Literary Book Club
Hm, that's pretty similar to the thread I made except for the discussion thread links added in. I may also eventually add those in, though I'm not sure.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #135
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I usually put the basic relevant rules in each thread-starting post, but yes I will eventually get to it and add the general rules to that "Categories and Selections" thread. Thanks for the suggestion!

You're Welcome. And thank you for doing it!

Tags
book club, literary, literature